Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

Miyamoto was in the U.K. to accept a Fellowship award from BAFTA, and said, "It's a great honor that my name might be listed as a fellowship member along with such a great director as Hitchcock."

At the same time, Miyamoto resisted the idea of putting games in the same classification as film, noting that he sees his role more as that of an entertainer. "I have never said that video games (are) an art," he said.
http://www.industryg...d-games-as-art/

He also says similar things in another interview.

Shigeru Miyamoto "What we have created are not art but products. For us, the main are the customers and not games themselves. I always tell staff to call Nintendo games products, not art."

Source (in Japanese)
http://gamez.itmedia.../news082_3.html

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

I would have to disagree with Mr. Miyamoto. Games are pure expression of the devs. Why would someone say a game like Okami or Earthbound isnt art?

Signature_DK.png

#3 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

That's a shame. I understand where he's coming from, but it's a real shame IMO

#4 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

POPULAR

I would have to disagree with Mr. Miyamoto. Games are pure expression of the devs. Why would someone say a game like Okami or Earthbound isnt art?

Unfortunately its all subjective. A lot of people don't consider video games OR movies art. My personal opinion is that they are more of an art form than any of the garbage they call "modern art" is.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#5 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

Films are products too. Sounds like he is just being humble.
Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#6 Gimbal

Gimbal

Abscond

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • NNID:Savoir
  • Fandom:
    School Rumble

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

Meh. I say he's wrong but no one can agree on what "art" means so I guess whatever. In any case he says he's an entertainer rather than an artist even though those terms are often used synonymously.
"So if Zero Suit Samus is fanbait for guys, where is the fanbait for girls? Why isn’t Captain Falcon wearing a thong or sporting a chest twice the size of his last model? Why doesn’t Mario have an absurd crotch buldge holding in his 10 inch slice of manhood? Why doesn’t Yoshi look like a Fist of the North Starcharacter.

That, my friends, is why the design is sexist."~Angelo M. D'Argenio-4/17/2014

"Yes, because owning only 1 game in this series makes you qualified to have an opinion on it"~PyroKinesis-5/7/2014

"He is a game dev, critic, games media writer, and candidate for a phd by the way. So, LMFAO."~3Dude 9/4/2014

#7 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

Meh. I say he's wrong but no one can agree on what "art" means so I guess whatever. In any case he says he's an entertainer rather than an artist even though those terms are often used synonymously.

Even entertainment is art That includes movies,music,and in this case video games.

Signature_DK.png

#8 Gimbal

Gimbal

Abscond

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • NNID:Savoir
  • Fandom:
    School Rumble

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

Even entertainment is art That includes movies,music,and in this case video games.

That's what I was saying...sorry I can never tell if people are agreeing with me or not...
"So if Zero Suit Samus is fanbait for guys, where is the fanbait for girls? Why isn’t Captain Falcon wearing a thong or sporting a chest twice the size of his last model? Why doesn’t Mario have an absurd crotch buldge holding in his 10 inch slice of manhood? Why doesn’t Yoshi look like a Fist of the North Starcharacter.

That, my friends, is why the design is sexist."~Angelo M. D'Argenio-4/17/2014

"Yes, because owning only 1 game in this series makes you qualified to have an opinion on it"~PyroKinesis-5/7/2014

"He is a game dev, critic, games media writer, and candidate for a phd by the way. So, LMFAO."~3Dude 9/4/2014

#9 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

Someone on another forum with the same avatar as you made a topic like this.
Whadda coincidence.

#10 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

This. But he's free to say what he wants. He freaking created Mario. :P
No sig.

#11 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

games like jurney and final fantasy (till X episode) prove him wrong. Maybe because his games dont have voice overs, deep scenario, etc... He have to try it once! And I believe he insults some of his stuff. The reason is, the level designers are graphic artists! is it? Art is a part of video games, from the point video games have visuals and sound.

Edited by Orion, 19 February 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#12 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

I agree with him. A video game is a "game" after all, it has rules, objectives and an outcome, art doesn't. You wouldn't call chess "art" would you?

#13 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

I agree with him. A video game is a "game" after all, it has rules, objectives and an outcome, art doesn't. You wouldn't call chess "art" would you?

Some people display artful chess pieces and boards in their home and put them on display (without playing them). So yes, it can be called art especially if the pieces or gameboard was crafted from scratch and handmade. It's all how people interpret things and nothing more.
Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#14 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Some people display artful chess pieces and boards in their home and put them on display (without playing them). So yes, it can be called art especially if the pieces or gameboard was crafted from scratch and handmade. It's all how people interpret things and nothing more.

I'm talking about chess as a game, not the tools that are used to play the game (i.e the chess pieces).

#15 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

That's what I was saying...sorry I can never tell if people are agreeing with me or not...

Its cool symbol. I often have the same problem. Its an asperger thing with me. Im working on it though.

Signature_DK.png

#16 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

Interesting, I have to agree with Mr. Miyamoto, a game is a game no matter how you look at it, gamers call him god but he never said he was.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#17 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Psh, dubstep is the true art.

im just kidding you know ._.

#18 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

i hope u dont mean something like that...

thats corruption of human kind. Totally unrespectful in human/mother nature. They could feed 100 people with all of that.

Edited by Orion, 19 February 2013 - 01:42 PM.

#19 LK9T9

LK9T9

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • NNID:Prof3ssorMGW
  • Fandom:
    Super Smash Bros.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

That's because the video game industry is a business before anything, it's about the $$$. I disagree & do believe it is a form of art, I think he just wants to place more emphasis on it being a product/thing sold to a consumer rather than the actual work being put into it making it a form of art.

1187263_o.gif

Super Smash Bros. WiiU/3DS Page: http://www.facebook.com/SSBWIIU3DS

#20 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

So I can only assume that my beautifully handcrafted Fabergé egg is merely a product, and not art?

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!