Photo

What could Nintendo have done to help the 3DS sell day 1?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: What could Nintendo have done to help the 3DS sell day 1? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think Nintendo handled the 3DS launch the best they could?

1. No, they could have done a lot more. (explain) (9 votes [90.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 90.00%

2. Yes, they did the best they could. (1 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:49 PM

Do you think Nintendo should have done something different with the 3DS to help it sell from day 1?

Personally, I think they should have moved Pokemon Black and White from the DS to the 3DS, and made them launch titles(the games themselves fell like they should of been 3DS games). If they had done that, it would be selling even with the $250 price tag.
Posted Image

#2 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:55 PM

Better launch line-up. They could have put a system seller for a launch title. Such as a Pokemon, Mario, Yoshi, or Zelda.
That probably would of made it sell better. Another thing that Nintendo did wrong was no Eshop or Internet Browser, at launch.
Something they could of done better on was the online function. I think that Nintendo wont go wrong with the Wii U online function. But honestly with the 3DS, that was wrong to keep friend codes. Although I do like that there's only one universal friend code, instead of a friend code for each game. Nintendo also made the 3DS pretty expensive, those not wanting to fork out $250 for a hand held should now be able to come August. I think if they just sold the 3DS for at least $200-225, more people would want to buy it. That shouldn't be an issue later because the 3DS will be $170 come August 11th.

I think that's most of the problems that was wrong with the 3DS day one.

#3 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:38 PM

-

Edited by BassDropper, 05 December 2012 - 09:53 PM.

#4 Reaper Pin

Reaper Pin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Legend of Zelda Etc.

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:28 AM

They could have decided not to make it ridiculously overpriced, and released first party games for it on day one. And not having messaging functionality is unforgivable, that's the main reason I'm planning to sell my 3DS and get a PS Vita.

You could at least give your 3DS to me!
Never mind... lol
Posted Image

#5 Mesan3

Mesan3

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • NNID:mesan3
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Dragon ball, trombone

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:30 AM

there were not alot of good games at launch because nintendo wanted third party developers to shine,,,,but they didnt

#6 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:57 AM

In my opinion, there were three main problems with the 3DS at launch.

1) The launch line-up wasn't good. There launch titles seemed to range from poor to decent. There weren't any great games that people would have bought the system for. If Ocarina of Time had been a launch title, or if there was another big Mario/Zelda/Pokemon game, I'm sure a lot more people would have bought a 3DS at launch.

2) The price was too high in my opinion (Up to £220 in Britain). A lot of people would rather buy a DSi with several games than spend over £200 on a 3DS. Especially when the DSi has lots of great games, whereas the 3DS had a poor launch line up.

3) Nintendo focused on the 3D too much. Many people thought that the 3DS was simply a DS with a 3D screen. Most people would be unlikely to upgrade their DS simply to view games in 3D. I think that Nintendo should have made a bigger deal about the console's other features, such as the motion controls and the hugely improved graphics.

#7 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:17 PM

Yeah, better launch.
Posted Image

^CLICK RIGHT NOW TO FACE PURE AWESOMENESS (MAYBE)
@SSB4News <- Pure awesomeness is now on Twitter!

#8 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:30 PM

Do you think Nintendo should have done something different with the 3DS to help it sell from day 1?

Personally, I think they should have moved Pokemon Black and White from the DS to the 3DS, and made them launch titles(the games themselves fell like they should of been 3DS games). If they had done that, it would be selling even with the $250 price tag.

They Couldn't. Black and White Started Development late 2008, way before Nintendo had a Development kit ready for the system.

They could have decided not to make it ridiculously overpriced, and released first party games for it on day one. And not having messaging functionality is unforgivable, that's the main reason I'm planning to sell my 3DS and get a PS Vita.

The Price was based on Reception at E3
They did Release 1st party games. Pilot-wings, Steel Diver, And Nintendogs+cats were first party.
Also, Please stop being so negative on the 3DS. No system is truly a good system until a year after it Arrives. You are just as bad as Bumara

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#9 SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Fandom:
    NES, SNES, N64, GC, GBA, Wii, 3DS, Wii U

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:37 PM

They Couldn't. Black and White Started Development late 2008, way before Nintendo had a Development kit ready for the system.

The Price was based on Reception at E3
They did Release 1st party games. Pilot-wings, Steel Diver, And Nintendogs+cats were first party.
Also, Please stop being so negative on the 3DS. No system is truly a good system until a year after it Arrives. You are just as bad as Bumara

Buramu > troll
Ninjashock > has own opinions
No signature here....

#10 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:44 PM

They Couldn't. Black and White Started Development late 2008, way before Nintendo had a Development kit ready for the system

There have been many cases of games being moved from older to newer hardware(such as The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess receiving a Wii version so the Wii could have a killer app at launch, granted it was also released on GameCube a few months later). They could have moved them if they had wanted to, and the 3DS would have had a killer app from day one. All they would of had to do would be to make a few small changes to it to take advantage of the 3DS hardware. Heck, there are parts of the games that make me think they may have originally been developed for the 3DS(such as the Skyarrow Bridge) but were moved to the DS so third parties would have a chance at launch.
Posted Image

#11 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:32 AM

There have been many cases of games being moved from older to newer hardware(such as The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess receiving a Wii version so the Wii could have a killer app at launch, granted it was also released on GameCube a few months later). They could have moved them if they had wanted to, and the 3DS would have had a killer app from day one. All they would of had to do would be to make a few small changes to it to take advantage of the 3DS hardware. Heck, there are parts of the games that make me think they may have originally been developed for the 3DS(such as the Skyarrow Bridge) but were moved to the DS so third parties would have a chance at launch.

Not really. Twilight Princess wasn't supposed to be the Wii's killer app at launch, That was supposed to be Metroid Prime 3, but Twilight princess was a rushed port to compensate for that being delayed. Also, A killer App is something you can only get on that specific system. Judging how you can pick up TP on Gamecube, I don't call it a killer app. Also, Gamefreak is against swapping games in the middle of the development over to new hardware. Otherwise, why would we have gotten Crystal on GBC and not GBA?

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

#12 Epic Kirby

Epic Kirby

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby, Final Fantasy, Umeniko, DeathNote

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:27 PM

1) Launch Games - Iwata said they could have done better and they really could have. The launch list should at least have had one major first party title but then I guess Street Fighter wouldn't have sold that well. They way they demoed Kid Icarus at E3 really made me believe that it was their flagship title and that we we're going to see it at launch.

2) Launch Window - What i don't get is why Nintendo are shoving all their great titles into the same period of the year when they could have spread them out. They could have released something this summer before Star Fox comes out.

3) Price - For the price they were charging we should have gotten a lot more. People seemed to really want a Youtube App and messaging system and I don't really think it would've been that hard to implement.

4) Third Party - Better third party support from the start would have helped. I don't see why the two best third party games out right now have to be fighting titles. However, it isn't true when people on the 3ds forums say there isn't third party support because there is Kingdom Hearts: DDD. Heroes of Ruin, Beyond the Labyrinth, RE: Revelations, Fantasy Life, Driver, Tales of the Abyss etc. There should be some more though.

5) Eshop - Prices are way too high, need a lot more 3D classics, need some GameBoy Colour games, my younger cousin laughed in horror when I suggested he play Kirby's Dream Land. This is the graphics generation black and white don't cut it. There's only one 3DSWare game and that came out recently. Nintendo Video needs some more compelling stuff, however Oscar's Oasis has been great.

That's about it lol
Posted ImagePosted Image

Check out my RP
Kirby Sig made by Anisaxis, thanks dude :)

#13 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:18 AM

They should have realeased either a Mario or Zelda game when they released the 3DS. (Alongside all others.)
The thing is tough, they can't rush releases so we had the launch we had, although I did want it to be different.

(I got my 3ds one month after launch, but I was still bothered by the 3DS' launch)

#14 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:48 AM

1) Launch Games - Iwata said they could have done better and they really could have. The launch list should at least have had one major first party title but then I guess Street Fighter wouldn't have sold that well. They way they demoed Kid Icarus at E3 really made me believe that it was their flagship title and that we we're going to see it at launch.

What made it worse was that Sakuri said they were aiming for Launch with the game, or at the latest, Launch window. 9 months is a pretty big Launch window

#15 SHADOW

SHADOW

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:11 AM

To make the 3DS sale more easy,

The price tag should have been $100 dollars and the games $ 20

And the eshop games should have been 99c and more colors for the 3DS
Posted Image

#16 Epic Kirby

Epic Kirby

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby, Final Fantasy, Umeniko, DeathNote

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:34 AM

To make the 3DS sale more easy,

The price tag should have been $100 dollars and the games $ 20

And the eshop games should have been 99c and more colors for the 3DS

Selling it for $100 wouldn't really be viable, seeing as it apparently costs $117 to manufacture and that cost doesn't include retailers taking their cut, import taxes, laws and so on but the eshop games definitely should have been cheaper.

What made it worse was that Sakuri said they were aiming for Launch with the game, or at the latest, Launch window. 9 months is a pretty big Launch window

Exactly. Kid Icarus would have been a brilliant launch title or at least launch window.

Edited by Epic Kirby, 05 August 2011 - 03:31 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Check out my RP
Kirby Sig made by Anisaxis, thanks dude :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!