• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

Gamejunkie, on 04 Apr 2013 - 21:39, said:PAL has nothing to do with it.
I play European games on my Australian wii (wii u now ^_^) all the time. As long as it's PAL it seems to work.

For the sake of repeating myself PAL has nothing to do with it. PAL like NTSC refers to video display standards and not the regionality of a game or console. Unfortunately in the days of 8 and 16 bit consoles people used the terms to differentiate between different regions including the compatibility regards regions and it has stuck. With the advent of new TV technology in the form of plasma, LCD and LED its not even an issue regards video standard compatibility and shouldn't be used to designate region compatibility either. For example both Japan and the US are NTSC so by your logic they should be automatically compatible with each other but for Nintendo home consoles they are not.

#22 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

For the sake of repeating myself PAL has nothing to do with it. PAL like NTSC refers to video display standards and not the regionality of a game or console. Unfortunately in the days of 8 and 16 bit consoles people used the terms to differentiate between different regions including the compatibility regards regions and it has stuck. With the advent of new TV technology in the form of plasma, LCD and LED its not even an issue regards video standard compatibility and shouldn't be used to designate region compatibility either. For example both Japan and the US are NTSC so by your logic they should be automatically compatible with each other but for Nintendo home consoles they are not.

I never said all NTSC games were compatible with other NTSC consoles. But all PAL games (that I've tried so far) work fine in Australia.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#23 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:18 PM

So far i have tried PAL games from multiple regions on my Aus bought Wii U and they have all worked without a problem. Just off the top of my head i have tried UK, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Greece and Malaysia.  

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#24 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:42 AM

I never said all NTSC games were compatible with other NTSC consoles. But all PAL games (that I've tried so far) work fine in Australia.

You're still missing the point. Both the EU and Australia are PAL regions but that's neither here nor there when it comes to video standard compatibility or region locking today. The fact that EU games work with Australian Wii U's and vice versa has nothing to do with PAL. Both PAL and NTSC are pretty much defunct terms now.

#25 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:37 AM

You're still missing the point. Both the EU and Australia are PAL regions but that's neither here nor there when it comes to video standard compatibility or region locking today. The fact that EU games work with Australian Wii U's and vice versa has nothing to do with PAL. Both PAL and NTSC are pretty much defunct terms now.

I know that. All I am saying is if the game says PAL on the back, it'll work for him.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#26 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:33 AM

I know that. All I am saying is if the game says PAL on the back, it'll work for him.

Fair enough.

#27 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

Fair enough.

Truce?