Photo

EA's Lack Of Wii U Support An Opportunity For Others?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

Peter Moore with EA recently stated that they have no further games coming to Wii U, so they have essentially abandoned the platform.  Its never good to lose support of a top publisher, but does this give other publishers an opportunity to capitalize on the platform.  For example, Acclaim has a lot of success on the N64 with NFL Quarterback Club, All Star Baseball, and NHL Breakaway.  Acclaim was more success than EA on the platform with their sports titles even though EA's titles were more popular accross all platforms.  EA brought lackluster efforts to the N64, and Acclaim was there with their sports titles top clean house.  Not only that, but Acclaim started up the highly successful Turok series on the N64.  Acclaim had huge success on the N64. 

I think EA's support should be a green flag for other publishers to take advantage.  If EA isnt going ot support the Wii U with sports titles, then that leaves the door wide open for someone else to capture the market.  Seriously, they could end up with zero compeition for sports games on the Wii U if EA doesnt support the Wii U. 

There are definately gaps to fill with the absense of EA, but if I were Nintendo, I would be working hard with other publishers and developers to fill those gaps rather than begging EA to come back with their half hearted ports. 

#2 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

Ugh, I am never buying another EA game again.

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#3 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

Don't you mean, a sign for others? EA Is a big company, one of the big dogs and if they see them show no support to a console, they'll do what they are doing with Nintendo.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#4 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

Peter Moore with EA recently stated that they have no further games coming to Wii U, so they have essentially abandoned the platform.  Its never good to lose support of a top publisher, but does this give other publishers an opportunity to capitalize on the platform.  For example, Acclaim has a lot of success on the N64 with NFL Quarterback Club, All Star Baseball, and NHL Breakaway.  Acclaim was more success than EA on the platform with their sports titles even though EA's titles were more popular accross all platforms.  EA brought lackluster efforts to the N64, and Acclaim was there with their sports titles top clean house.  Not only that, but Acclaim started up the highly successful Turok series on the N64.  Acclaim had huge success on the N64. 

I think EA's support should be a green flag for other publishers to take advantage.  If EA isnt going ot support the Wii U with sports titles, then that leaves the door wide open for someone else to capture the market.  Seriously, they could end up with zero compeition for sports games on the Wii U if EA doesnt support the Wii U. 

There are definately gaps to fill with the absense of EA, but if I were Nintendo, I would be working hard with other publishers and developers to fill those gaps rather than begging EA to come back with their half hearted ports. 

I agree that it is going to open doors for other publishers, like Activision, who will not have to compete against BF4 on that platform.  2k would not have to compete with anyone for their baseball titles or basketball titles, there are lots of holes that can be filled by other publishers other than EA.

#5 Byakuya Togami

Byakuya Togami

Hallowed Be Thy Name

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

Ugh, I am never buying another EA game again.

Why not?

#6 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

Ubisoft seem to be filling the EA gap nicely.

Now if Nintendo can get some new IPs aimed at a non-nintendo audience (basically convert a new audience into playing Nintendo games instead of complaining about them without even trying them) and publish more third party games (they're doing a great job they just need to keep it up and maybe get more western devs on board) then EA will literally have no choice to publish games on Wii U again as the user-base would be so high that it'd be financial suicide not to.

I have a feeling that EA and Microsoft are going to be doing a big deal like they did with Nintendo but Microsoft are going to accept. Thus all the rumors about an always online console. So Sony may even get screwed too.

Edited by Penguin101, 08 April 2013 - 10:10 AM.

#7 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

I agree that it is going to open doors for other publishers, like Activision, who will not have to compete against BF4 on that platform.  2k would not have to compete with anyone for their baseball titles or basketball titles, there are lots of holes that can be filled by other publishers other than EA.

I was thinking of 2K sports in a big way, and the exclusive NFL license expires after this year for Madden.  That was a terrible deal for gamers.  Only one publisher making NFL football games allowed EA to release warmed over releases with very little new content other than rosters.  Madden is a huge money maker for EA, even more so when they have no incentive to really improve the game. 

#8 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

I was thinking of 2K sports in a big way, and the exclusive NFL license expires after this year for Madden.  That was a terrible deal for gamers.  Only one publisher making NFL football games allowed EA to release warmed over releases with very little new content other than rosters.  Madden is a huge money maker for EA, even more so when they have no incentive to really improve the game. 

Very true, the game hasn't changed much since Madden 05.  They have toyed around with half baked game mechanics just to say there is something new, but it was never really part of the game, and was never meant to be, hence those features can always be disabled.

#9 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

I've been saying this for a long time. If anything if someone can bring a new sports games to life on the Wii U and they are better than the EA Sports titles, this can be great for both the publisher and Nintendo.

Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#10 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

Bye EA, i won't be missing you at all

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#11 Byakuya Togami

Byakuya Togami

Hallowed Be Thy Name

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

Am I the only one who feels that this is being misinterpreted?
What if EA only means that they don't have anything as of right coming out?
EA will go wherever they can make money, and abandoning an entire platform seems uncharacteristic.

#12 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

Why not?

They said that they will never make another Wii U game. Plus the company is an arsehole in general (DCR (or whatever happened with SimCity), them being butthurt over Origin on Wii U, micro-transactions). Why should I buy there games new (I might get one or two second hand)?

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#13 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

Am I the only one who feels that this is being misinterpreted?
What if EA only means that they don't have anything as of right coming out?
EA will go wherever they can make money, and abandoning an entire platform seems uncharacteristic.

Not only is is being misinterpreted, there is a deduction being made based on something that was never actually said.  

#14 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

i can see thi as maybe contributing. i don kno how popular ea is with everybody else with all theyv been up to but it coul lead the way for other sports game like someone said.

well the never said the quit with the wiiu so you cant be sure that they hav given up before they tried.

#15 PyroKinesis

PyroKinesis

Boo

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario Party, Animal Crossing

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

Well, it wasn't that big of an advantage for Acclaim, as they quickly went out of business.

#16 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

I don`t have all of EA`s franchises in my mind now, but there are a few that have competitors and those developers will be more than happy to not have competition.

The next CoD will have a market all for itself, as will Pro Evolution Soccer, NBA 2K.

Unfortunately it will miss out on two big franchises: Madden and FIFA. And even with replacement for FIFA, there`s no replacement of the same caliber.

#17 TheSparrow87

TheSparrow87

Thwomp

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

Here's the actual quote:

The console business is still a core part of our business; it’s the majority of our business. The demise of console gaming is very premature as far as we’re concerned, we still have thousands of people focused on developing current-generation Xbox 360 and PS3 games, as well as people focused now on the next generation when that finally arrives and so, people still want core games.

Interpret as you like, but in no way did he say that they're never making another Wii U game.

Further on topic, I would love to see some other company have a go at sports games,

just to see what sort of fresh ideas other studios can come up with.

On a side note, gimme sci-fi/fantasy sports games with a massive focus on rpg.

#18 Byakuya Togami

Byakuya Togami

Hallowed Be Thy Name

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

They said that they will never make another Wii U game. Plus the company is an arsehole in general (DCR (or whatever happened with SimCity), them being butthurt over Origin on Wii U, micro-transactions). Why should I buy there games new (I might get one or two second hand)?

lol, they never said that at all. "They have no further games coming to Wii U" does not mean never, it just means as of right now. People are blowing this stuff waaaay out of proportion.

Plus, boycotting EA wouldn't do anything. They've got billions, bro. You think they care if you give them your money or not?

Edited by Kaka Karrot Cake, 08 April 2013 - 03:55 PM.

#19 AndyG

AndyG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Monster Hunter, Super Meat Boy

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

So if im correct they said they wouldn't be developing games at all for the system? Or are they just stating they have no games in development at this time?

Posted Image

This is where it ends

#20 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

Why not?

Because ea games won't be available on their console of choice?

I think that's a good guess.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!