Photo

Wii Showdown Semi-Finals: Super Mario Galaxy VS Super Smash Bros. Brawl

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

Poll: Wii Showdown Semi-Finals: Super Mario Galaxy VS Super Smash Bros. Brawl (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Which one is the better Wii game?

1. Super Mario Galaxy (6 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (10 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

Vote

#1 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

Welcome to the Wii Showdown! Since the Wii’s life is almost over, I would like to make a tourney that tells which game is the best game for Wii. We’ve made it all the way to the semi-finals! Here are the games that are competing in this half of the semi-finals:

1. Super Mario Galaxy
Posted Image

Description:
The ultimate Nintendo hero is taking the ultimate step ... out into space. Join Mario as he ushers in a new era of video games, defying gravity across all the planets in the galaxy. When some creature escapes into space with Princess Peach, Mario gives chase, exploring bizarre planets all across the galaxy. Mario, Peach and enemies new and old are here. Players run, jump and battle enemies as they explore all the planets in the galaxy. Since this game makes full use of all the features of the Wii Remote, players have to do all kinds of things to succeed: pressing buttons, swinging the Wii Remote and the Nunchuk, and even pointing at and dragging things with the pointer. Since he's in space, Mario can perform mind-bending jumps unlike anything he's done before. He'll also have a wealth of new moves that are all based around tilting, pointing and shaking the Wii Remote. Shake, tilt and point! Mario takes advantage of all the unique aspects of the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controller, unleashing new moves as players shake the controller and even point at and drag items with the pointer.

Super Mario Galaxy Review

4. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Posted Image

Description:
Welcome to a brawl for the ages, where anything can happen, anyone can show up and all bets are off. In multiplayer games, characters from all Nintendo universes meet up in Nintendo locales to duke it out. In the solo mode called "The Subspace Emissary," the world of Smash Bros. is invaded by an entity called the Ancient Minister and his army of creatures, called "The Primid." Normally, characters come alive in the world of Smash Bros. to do battle, then turn back into trophies when defeated. However, the Ancient Minister starts turning characters into trophies to harness their power, then detonates bombs that suck pieces of the world back into his realm of Subspace. Eventually, all the characters must work together to defeat the invading creatures from Subspace - this is accomplished by playing through side-scrolling levels.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Review

So which of these “Super” games are better? You decide! You have until August 18th to post your vote.

Schedule:

Galaxy VS Brawl: August 11th-August 18th
Kart VS Zelda: August 19th-August 26th
Finals: August 28th-September 11
Winner VS Skyward Sword: December 2011

There may be other Winner VS matches, but that will be decided later. Goodbye, and Happy Voting!

Edited by StreetPassWanter, 17 August 2011 - 02:20 PM.

Posted Image

^CLICK RIGHT NOW TO FACE PURE AWESOMENESS (MAYBE)
@SSB4News <- Pure awesomeness is now on Twitter!

#2 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:36 PM

Galaxy.

Maybe I should give reasons?

- Easier for novices to grasp the concept of.
- Always able to tell what your next goal is.
- Easy to understand controls.
- Uses Motion Control, therefore showing the capabilities of the Wii a lot better than Brawl.
- The story is better.
- 3D Exploration is more appealing than 2D side scrolling.
- Music is straight up better and more memorable.
- Visually more impressive.
- Interesting concepts (Gravity zones, Black Holes, shooting stars, suits etc.)
- Fun Factor: OVER 9000!
- Pretty!
- Shiny!
- OM NOM NOM NOM!

Edited by Auzzie Wingman, 10 August 2011 - 04:26 PM.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#3 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:55 PM

Brawl. SO MUCH CONTENT! I'm still playing it today after 20 months! Galaxy is kinda easy though, and once you're done, you're done.
Posted Image

#4 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:07 PM

Super Smash Bros Brawl, it is the Wii game I have put over 80 hours into :( (Mario Galaxy was pretty easy, except 3 missions...)

#5 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:13 PM

I have put over 80 hours into :D

I put 122:12 :(
Posted Image

#6 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:19 PM

Galaxy is the clear winner here, IMHO. I know this may be a sensitive and controversial thing to say, but Brawl feels like a huge expansion pack to an already large game, Melee (please, let's not turn this thread into a debate over the physics engines; this is only my personal opinion). On the other hand, Super Mario Galaxy was an original experience through and through, and I felt it was a better game for me because I almost always play video games alone (my family really doesn't care much for them, and my friends are mostly all into shooters).

Brawl is an absolute hoot in multiplayer, but as more of a solitary player in general, Galaxy just did more for me. The Nintendo Channel says I've clocked about 170 hours on SMG, while I doubt I've gotten much more than 30 hours out of Brawl when playing alone.

#7 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:24 PM

I've never really gotten the chance to play the SMG series, but I have played some missions. I can honestly say that it is very fun and original, but my brother always hogs the Wii, so I don't really get the chance to play it.
But SSBB on the other hand, I've put lot's of hours into that and with a lot of non-stop action. What I like about games like SSBB, is that you can have a quick fun battle.

I think that Super Smash Bros Brawl is the winner here. :(

#8 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:29 PM

I put 122:12 :D

I just got it last year around november for 100US$ -.-

Galaxy is the clear winner here, IMHO. I know this may be a sensitive and controversial thing to say, but Brawl feels like a huge expansion pack to an already large game, Melee (please, let's not turn this thread into a debate over the physics engines; this is only my personal opinion). On the other hand, Super Mario Galaxy was an original experience through and through, and I felt it was a better game for me because I almost always play video games alone (my family really doesn't care much for them, and my friends are mostly all into shooters).

Brawl is an absolute hoot in multiplayer, but as more of a solitary player in general, Galaxy just did more for me. The Nintendo Channel says I've clocked about 170 hours on SMG, while I doubt I've gotten much more than 30 hours out of Brawl when playing alone.

When you but it like this I feel like Super Mario Galaxy does seem better. Brawl is the only multiplayer wii game I play a lot, so I was more biased to it.

Now I think that Super Mario Galaxy is better if you're playing alone (which I mostly do) and Super Smash Bros Brawl is better for local multi-player.

I think the Wii Showdow should have been for best single player game, best co-op game, and best multiplayer game...

and then have the winners face off. In the moment if you're mostly playing alone then Super Mario Galaxy is better, but if you have family that plays games or friends who like brawl, then Brawl is better for he or she.

This thread is kinda pointless now in my opinion as you can't judge the best wii game just by if you are able to play multiplayer with friends or not...

Super Mario Galaxy also has a load of content.

Now, I'm not sure which I like more...

(Super Mario Galaxy was my first Wii game. I got my Wii around x-mas 2009... I think.)

#9 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:07 PM

I'm going with Brawl. Brawl is still keeping me entertained even a year or two after I bought it. Meanwhile, I flew through Mario Galaxy(Pun intended).
Posted Image

#10 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:44 PM

This entirely. I find it hard to find people to brawl with, while I've easily put around 100 hours into Galaxy, mostly because I do a yearly playthrough

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#11 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:26 PM

I'm going with Brawl. Brawl is still keeping me entertained even a year or two after I bought it. Meanwhile, I flew through Mario Galaxy(Pun intended).

Brawl became a snorefest for me when my friends decided to move on to FPS's. It simply only works well as a multiplayer game.

I'm afraid this will devolve into a popularity contest. It's not that Brawl is a bad game - I do agree that it's one of the greatest experiences to be had on the Wii - but trying to say whether it or SMG is the better game simply isn't a fair question, because the two games are so very different.

#12 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:02 PM

This thread is kinda pointless now in my opinion as you can't judge the best wii game just by if you are able to play multiplayer with friends or not...

Darn. 2 months for nothing.

Also, I liked Brawl better even with Single Player. There's online. :D

I'm afraid this will devolve into a popularity contest. It's not that Brawl is a bad game - I do agree that it's one of the greatest experiences to be had on the Wii - but trying to say whether it or SMG is the better game simply isn't a fair question, because the two games are so very different.

All the games in the semi-finals are great games. Just clearing that up. And it's always like this with Finals and Semi-Finals. In pretty much anything.

And again, it wasn't a snorefest for me, yet I played only by myself.

Edited by StreetPassWanter, 10 August 2011 - 08:03 PM.

Posted Image

#13 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:52 PM

Darn. 2 months for nothing.

Also, I liked Brawl better even with Single Player. There's online. :D

I meant looking at it without any multiplayer, which also means no online!

#14 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:12 AM

The way I see it, Brawl gets repetitive, but it doesn't refresh itself often enough to overlook that.
I honestly haven't touched Brawl in over a year, mainly because all those challenges are so arduous.

At least I had a chance of getting 242 stars in SMG.

AuzzieWingman.png

#15 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:11 AM

I honestly haven't touched Brawl in over a year, mainly because all those challenges are so arduous.

That's why it's so awesome. I like very hard games that I will never complete because it's a good way to burn an hour or three.
Posted Image

#16 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:23 AM

Well, it's so much that it is hard as it is doing the same thing over and over again, with 36-38 different characters, just to get a challenge completed.
AND THEN having to do that process again 20 more times for a bunch of other challenges.

It's more boringly annoying than trying to get the Sun Sigil in Final Fantasy X.

AuzzieWingman.png

#17 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:26 AM

Well, it's so much that it is hard as it is doing the same thing over and over again, with 36-38 different characters, just to get a challenge completed.
AND THEN having to do that process again 20 more times for a bunch of other challenges.

It's more boringly annoying than trying to get the Sun Sigil in Final Fantasy X.

Well, some people like hard games, some people like easy games. Deal with it.

Edited by StreetPassWanter, 11 August 2011 - 04:26 AM.

Posted Image

#18 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:28 AM

I'm not saying Brawl was hard. I'm saying that those challenges were unnecessarily drawn out, and they play on my completionist behaviour.

WHY MY I SUFFER IN THIS HELLFIRE?!

AuzzieWingman.png

#19 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:29 AM

I'm not saying Brawl was hard. I'm saying that those challenges were unnecessarily drawn out, and they play on my completionist behaviour.

WHY MY I SUFFER IN THIS HELLFIRE?!

WHY MY I GET ENTERTAINED IN THIS HELLFIRE?! :(
Posted Image

#20 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:35 AM

lol. I meant "WHY MUST I SUFFER".

AuzzieWingman.png