• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 BobbyRiddle

BobbyRiddle

Thwomp

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

Is anyone out there a PC gamer that can help a newb with a first time build in the 800-1000 range?
Currently playing: AC 3, ZombiU, BLOPS 2, Nintendoland, NSMBU, Nano Assault Neo, Halo 4, Darksiders 2, and Far Cry 3

Wii U ID------BeMore

#2 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

That depends, are you looking to build an e-peen machine or a money-efficient build?

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#3 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:
    BF4-pc,GTA-360,Splinter cell-pc

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

Just built two, your budget will get you a nice one, I used second hand parts and for under £300 i can run Tomb raider maxed out apart from Tressfx(her hair on high setting). Crysis 3 also runs very high and looks awesome,just a shame the games a bit lacking.

Posted Image

Add me on Miiverse !! I'm from England but the world is a lot smaller online!

#4 meitantei_conan

meitantei_conan

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • NNID:qublin_triforce

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

I am currently working on plans for building a gaming PC,for now its gonna cost me around $1300. I need money T.T

#5 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

Would you recommended a desktop or a laptop? I need one for college later and I want to have in mind what I should get.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#6 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:
    BF4-pc,GTA-360,Splinter cell-pc

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:14 AM

Would you recommended a desktop or a laptop? I need one for college later and I want to have in mind what I should get.

both have merits, both of ours are desktops as when building them i had a wider scope for parts and cooling, laptop is handy but not as flexible as a desktop with regards to future upgrades. Oh and a games laptop seems pretty expensive.

Posted Image

Add me on Miiverse !! I'm from England but the world is a lot smaller online!

#7 Nick Ellingworth

Nick Ellingworth

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:16 AM

There's one very important thing I'd want to know before I make an recommendations; do you have a monitor, mouse and keyboard that you could use for this PC? I ask because if you don't have these it could quite drastically reduce what you can afford to spend on the PC itself.

I can also give you some good advice that applies no matter what. The first is don't skimp on the power supply, seriously make sure you get a good one if you don't you'll almost certainly regret it in the long run. Secondly made sure you get a Solid State Drive for your OS as a minimum but ideally get a bigger one you can install a few games on too. You will probably want a regular hard drive along side the SSD for document storage etc.

#8 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:36 AM

both have merits, both of ours are desktops as when building them i had a wider scope for parts and cooling, laptop is handy but not as flexible as a desktop with regards to future upgrades. Oh and a games laptop seems pretty expensive.

Yeah, I might get a laptop for college use and a desktop for gaming and programming.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#9 BobbyRiddle

BobbyRiddle

Thwomp

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

There's one very important thing I'd want to know before I make an recommendations; do you have a monitor, mouse and keyboard that you could use for this PC? I ask because if you don't have these it could quite drastically reduce what you can afford to spend on the PC itself.

I can also give you some good advice that applies no matter what. The first is don't skimp on the power supply, seriously make sure you get a good one if you don't you'll almost certainly regret it in the long run. Secondly made sure you get a Solid State Drive for your OS as a minimum but ideally get a bigger one you can install a few games on too. You will probably want a regular hard drive along side the SSD for document storage etc.

Thanks Nick. Yes, I already have a monitor, mouse, and keyboard. However, I do need an O/S to be included in that $1000 budget.
Currently playing: AC 3, ZombiU, BLOPS 2, Nintendoland, NSMBU, Nano Assault Neo, Halo 4, Darksiders 2, and Far Cry 3

Wii U ID------BeMore

#10 Nick Ellingworth

Nick Ellingworth

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

Well the OS I'd recommend (Windows 7 Home Premium) costs about $100, so you've got $900 for a complete tower. That could get you a lot of PC.

#11 BobbyRiddle

BobbyRiddle

Thwomp

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:20 AM

So do you have some compatible parts that you would recommend bearing in mind that in a few years I might want to upgrade CPU and/or graphics card?

Wii U ID------BeMore

#12 Nick Ellingworth

Nick Ellingworth

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

At the moment both AMD and Intel seem to be changing socket standards every year or two so a future proof motherboard isn't really something you can get. So it's very likely that any CPU upgrades in 2/3 years will need a new motherboard. Shouldn't have any problems with graphics cards for a while though PCI-E will likely be the standard for some time as even that massively expensive Nvidia GeForce Titan isn't anywhere near maxing PCI-Es potential data transfer capabilities. Any decent DDR3 RAM should be good for a few years though as will a good case, PSU, SSD etc.

#13 BobbyRiddle

BobbyRiddle

Thwomp

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

At the moment both AMD and Intel seem to be changing socket standards every year or two so a future proof motherboard isn't really something you can get. So it's very likely that any CPU upgrades in 2/3 years will need a new motherboard. Shouldn't have any problems with graphics cards for a while though PCI-E will likely be the standard for some time as even that massively expensive Nvidia GeForce Titan isn't anywhere near maxing PCI-Es potential data transfer capabilities. Any decent DDR3 RAM should be good for a few years though as will a good case, PSU, SSD etc.

Gotcha.  If you don't mind would you check out my build?  The good folks at Tom's Hardware seemed to like it.

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/Bu7

Edited by BobbyRiddle, 16 April 2013 - 08:06 AM.

Wii U ID------BeMore

#14 Nick Ellingworth

Nick Ellingworth

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:56 AM

That looks like a very nice PC, all high quality parts and very good value for money. It's actually quite a bit more powerful than mine which makes me a little bit jealous but when I made it I had a much lower budget to play with.

#15 BobbyRiddle

BobbyRiddle

Thwomp

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

Thanks Nick.  People actually rave about that graphics card and CPU.  Honestly they are probably more than what I need, but what the heck right?  Thanks for all your help man!

Wii U ID------BeMore

#16 Nick Ellingworth

Nick Ellingworth

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

Happy to help.

#17 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

I have two of the 6870's, which are similar in terms of performance, and they are awesome.  Great build, have fun!

#18 BobbyRiddle

BobbyRiddle

Thwomp

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:18 AM

I have two of the 6870's, which are similar in terms of performance, and they are awesome.  Great build, have fun!

Yeah and after I made my purchases on Newegg last night that graphics card got me promo codes for Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, and Far Cry Blooddragon.  I probably would not have bought Tomb Raider, but I was planning on picking up the other two.  Thank you AMD!

Wii U ID------BeMore

#19 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:34 AM

Yeah and after I made my purchases on Newegg last night that graphics card got me promo codes for Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, and Far Cry Blooddragon.  I probably would not have bought Tomb Raider, but I was planning on picking up the other two.  Thank you AMD!

I remember getting DIRT and Witcher2 with mine.

#20 BobbyRiddle

BobbyRiddle

Thwomp

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

I remember getting DIRT and Witcher2 with mine.

Nice.  There is no better way to show off your graphics card then with Witcher 2.

Wii U ID------BeMore

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!