Photo

CNET Interview with Eiji Aonuma about Zelda 3DS (LTTP2)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

Perhaps the biggest takeaway from my interview with Mr. Aonuma was that the new 3DS Zelda game -- one that exists within the universe established by 1992's A Link to the Past -- will be a significant departure from the way most Zelda games are played.

When speaking about the basic Zelda formula of finding items to allow progression, Mr. Aonuma said "it certainly feels different from our [the developer's] point of view."

So what does "different" mean exactly? Mr. Aonuma was cautiously vague, but he explained that, with the introduction of a platform the Zelda franchise has yet to appear on, the game's developers had a fresh canvas to work with. It's this clean slate that was the driving force behind the decision to bring the classic top-down view of A Link to the Past to the 3DS.

Where in the past a game would normally need to be first constructed in a 3D world, the diorama-esque visuals of the 3DS have been able to breathe new life into environments that have become all but extinct in the last 20 years.

But why A Link to the Past? Why not create a new world for Link to explore? Mr. Aonuma says that the 3DS has allowed for the revisiting of a top-down world and provided new ways for the player to interact with a Zelda game. It was the perfect chance to reopen A Link to the Past. And like some other Zelda games in the past, the 3DS sequel will alternate between a light and dark world.

So where does the idea of Link becoming a drawing originate? Veteran Zelda fans may remember Phantom Ganon, the protector of the Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time. During Link's encounter, Phantom Ganon jumps into one of six identical paintings on a wall. Mr. Aonuma wondered, "what if Link could have the same power?"

During my interview, Mr. Aonuma repeatedly stressed the importance of the 3DS' 3D effect and how it's used in the new Zelda game. This feature has been a major topic of controversy surrounding the 3DS since its launch, and the consensus seems to be split down the middle in terms of preference. Some complain that it causes headaches while others maintain it's the only way to truly enjoy 3DS games.

Regardless of how you'll play the sequel to A Link to the Past -- with or without the 3D slider on -- Mr. Aonuma assures that you'll enjoy the game. He and his team understand that not everyone likes to play in 3D. That said, if you don't play it in 3D -- even with the 3D slider ticked up just a bit -- Mr. Aonuma says you're not getting 100 percent of the intended experience.

Well, it seems like the light/dark world is returning. They seem to be changing things "up", this definitely could be interesting. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

Regardless of how you'll play the sequel to A Link to the Past -- with or without the 3D slider on -- Mr. Aonuma assures that you'll enjoy the game. He and his team understand that not everyone likes to play in 3D. That said, if you don't play it in 3D -- even with the 3D slider ticked up just a bit -- Mr. Aonuma says you're not getting 100 percent of the intended experience.

looks like i'll only get 90% of the game then xD

wa3Nq7j.png

#3 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

t, "with the introduction of a platform the Zelda franchise has yet to appear on, the game's developers had a fresh canvas to work with"
So did I imagine Ocarina of Time 3DS?? Was it just an extremely realistic dream? Does it not exist? Hmmmmmm.... Very wierd, very wierd indeed.

But to the topic, I dislike the choice to revisit a link to the past. It is IMO the second worst console Zelda game ( quite a bit above Wind Waker though, which is my least favorite). I'm not a fan of the top down perspective, although I am happy for those who do prefer it, I guess Nintendo does need to please everyone :)

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#4 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

But why A Link to the Past? Why not create a new world for Link to explore? Mr. Aonuma says that the 3DS has allowed for the revisiting of a top-down world and provided new ways for the player to interact with a Zelda game. It was the perfect chance to reopen A Link to the Past. And like some other Zelda games in the past, the 3DS sequel will alternate between a light and dark world.

TAKE. MY. MONEY!

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#5 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

t, "with the introduction of a platform the Zelda franchise has yet to appear on, the game's developers had a fresh canvas to work with"
So did I imagine Ocarina of Time 3DS?? Was it just an extremely realistic dream? Does it not exist? Hmmmmmm.... Very wierd, very wierd indeed.

But to the topic, I dislike the choice to revisit a link to the past. It is IMO the second worst console Zelda game ( quite a bit above Wind Waker though, which is my least favorite). I'm not a fan of the top down perspective, although I am happy for those who do prefer it, I guess Nintendo does need to please everyone :)

!!!

WW is a masterpiece.

I think they made it top down to emphasize on puzzles. Not a bad idea, but I would have preferred a "3D" Zelda.

Posted Image

#6 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:02 AM

!!!

WW is a masterpiece.

I think they made it top down to emphasize on puzzles. Not a bad idea, but I would have preferred a "3D" Zelda.

I liked the wind waker, I just didn't like it as much as all the other Zelda games. I thought the dungeons were easy, I didn't like traveling the huge ocean( even you have to admit that got tedious) and I thought the world felt empty, there was only a few islands worth exploring. Although I loved the cel shading!! Only for WW though, I hope they don't bring it back for the new HD Zelda.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#7 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:37 AM

Totally hyped. Wouldn't mind if they'd put ALTTP on the eShop soon for those that haven't played it yet. For comparisons and stuff. >_>

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#8 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

I liked the wind waker, I just didn't like it as much as all the other Zelda games. I thought the dungeons were easy, I didn't like traveling the huge ocean( even you have to admit that got tedious) and I thought the world felt empty, there was only a few islands worth exploring. Although I loved the cel shading!! Only for WW though, I hope they don't bring it back for the new HD Zelda.

lol that actually turned out pretty well. "I love 'em all, the last one's WW though". Yea I see what you mean. When I was young I would hate traveling the sea too. The Hyrule field was awesome in Ocarina of Time and you could do whatever you wanted. You weren't limited to a boat. 

I still loved WW, probably because it's the first Zelda I've played (although I have played every single Zelda since then).

Posted Image

#9 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

?.? ALTTP basically set the standard formula from which every Zelda game thereafter would use.  It was a marvel for its time.  I haven't had the chance to play WW yet, I'm undecided on waiting for the Wii U release or getting the gamecube release.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!