umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • NNID:Donte2k
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

As i've been playing super mario world again, i just couldn't help to think of how amazing games like SMB3 and World are, how everything about them has made them classic.

So i ask the question to everyone, does anyone feel that any of the New super mario bros (DS, 3DS, Wii, Wii-u) games

are classical in any way?10 years from now, will we have any regard for them in the manor we do SMB3 and world?

Personally, i say no, and as odd a reason this may be, my primary reason is because of the music. I think any mario fan can hear a snippet of SMB3 and World like being underwater, boss battles or just a regular plain level and pick up on it and continue the tune in their head, whistle, hum, what ever. 

But with the New Series, not only are most of the tunes not memorable, they're excessively rehashed, and i can't understand why. 

2nd reason : Not being able to keep yoshi in any of the NSMB games has just been ridiculous to me. SMB 3 is excused because Yoshi was not playable at the time. They throw in yoshi on some levels so that you get a sense of doing something different, when in fact SMworld made this a consideration in almost all of its levels. To have yoshi in the game but not able to keep is disappointing, especially for me because part of the fun was seeing how long i could keep yoshi and the fun of switching different kinds of yoshis'.

What does everyone else say?

#2 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

I say they overdid the 'New' series. They reuse poweups from the first new series, the music IS SO DAMN ANNOYING! The coin gimmic got old really quick, the bosses are reused over and over and over again, 47 Boom Booms ive beaten, They should just hang up the new series for another decade because I am tired of them at this point. Or atleast make something NEW. No more koopalings make another villain to kidnap the princess like Kirby's final bosses.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#3 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

It's surprising how well Super Mario World has aged. The levels seem so... populated.

#4 BrandedSwordsman

BrandedSwordsman

Boo

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

I could see New Super Mario Bros U being memorable, it is the spiritual successor to SMW (in my opinion). 

and since SMW was a Super title, I can also see Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 being memorable mostly due to their pure gameplay and unforgettable level design. 

#5 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

I could see New Super Mario Bros U being memorable, it is the spiritual successor to SMW (in my opinion). 

and since SMW was a Super title, I can also see Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 being memorable mostly due to their pure gameplay and unforgettable level design. 

Galaxy 2 is very memorable as well as n64, but i was keeping the 2d marios seprate from 3D

#6 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:32 AM

I think the problem with the New Super Mario Bros. is that, despite the graphical diferences, you really can`t tell them apart: they have the same look, sound and play out exactly the same. And there are 4 games in this series.

Old 2D Mario games were very different from one another, so each one was memorable on it`s own. If they had changed the look and sounds in the New series and changed the overworld map, maybe the series would be more admired than it is.

Although i think New Super Mario Bros U is the best game in the series, if there`s a chance it won`t be highly regarded and remembered in years to come, it`s only because there are other 3 games in the series to hold it back from reaching that status.

Nintendo needs to do with the next 2D Mario, what they have done with 3D Marios: make it fresh! If it wasn`t for Galaxy 2, there wouldn`t be two 3D Mario games alike.

#7 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:29 AM

I think the problem with the New Super Mario Bros. is that, despite the graphical diferences, you really can`t tell them apart: they have the same look, sound and play out exactly the same. And there are 4 games in this series.

Old 2D Mario games were very different from one another, so each one was memorable on it`s own. If they had changed the look and sounds in the New series and changed the overworld map, maybe the series would be more admired than it is.

Although i think New Super Mario Bros U is the best game in the series, if there`s a chance it won`t be highly regarded and remembered in years to come, it`s only because there are other 3 games in the series to hold it back from reaching that status.

Nintendo needs to do with the next 2D Mario, what they have done with 3D Marios: make it fresh! If it wasn`t for Galaxy 2, there wouldn`t be two 3D Mario games alike.

exactly! And i feel the same way about NSMB U, no doubt the best of the 4, but as you said, its the fact that there are 4 similar games.

i'm glad and very excited for Yoshi's Island 3DS, but the next 2D mario needs imo:

varying yoshis and being able to keep them

a whole new soundtrack

new graphical style

and maybe shouldn't release for at least 2 more years

#8 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

exactly! And i feel the same way about NSMB U, no doubt the best of the 4, but as you said, its the fact that there are 4 similar games.

i'm glad and very excited for Yoshi's Island 3DS, but the next 2D mario needs imo:

varying yoshis and being able to keep them

a whole new soundtrack

new graphical style

and maybe shouldn't release for at least 2 more years

The most important things really are: don`t release another 2D Mario this generation unless it`s unique and won`t be replicated 3 times; new graphical style, yes!

I really want to play Yoshi`s Island aswell. Only played the SNES game because i thought the DS game was a port.

#9 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

The New Super Mario Bros series will not be a classic. What makes a game a classic is not what it used to be 25 years ago. There are more games. Twilight Princess might become one.
Posted Image

#10 GhostDrive

GhostDrive

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:46 AM

I personally like all the NSMB games. The DS one feels classic it me due to it's age. The other 3, no, because they aren't that old. I also enjoy the music, but I agree they need to make more tunes. As for being able to use Yoshi, I think they only allow certain levels because some gamers consider Yoshi a bit game breaking. SMW is one of my favorite SNES games. Playing it as an older individual made me realize that the cape and Yoshi make the game way too easy. Have a cape? Ok fly over the entire level. Blue yoshi? Grab a shell and fly over everything, heck even any other color yoshi plus blue shell makes it fly.

Another thing I like about the NSMB series is the progress it's made. They added new power ups, added the new spin move similar to SMW, has wall jumping, has the triple jump, added Yoshi, new music, new level design and with the newest one added Miiverse functionality. While people complain that the last two NSMB games are too similar, let's not forget that each has their own feature. The 3DS one has the coin goal, and the Wii U one has Miiverse, challenge mode, and the use of the gamepad.

If I remember correctly, Nintendo said after NSMBU they won't release anymore NSMB games until the next console and will only do one per system.

#11 Doc

Doc

Action Puzzle gamer ftw

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario,Sonic,Pokémon,Puzzle League.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

I really enjoy the New Super Mario Bros. series and I think that the DS one is very nostalgic but I don't really like/play it anymore cause I think NSMB2 is better and when I get it, I'll never touch NSMB ever again. But I do think the series will be memorable. Unless if they make more NSMB games lol. 

If you're too lazy to click on my profile, I am Pikmin Pie/Typical.

#12 BrandedSwordsman

BrandedSwordsman

Boo

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:29 AM

Can't wait to see the new Super Mario by the guys who made Galaxy.  :D

#13 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:45 AM

I can't really see the current NSMB games becoming classics, even the great NSMBU. NSMBU may be the best one yet, and it's really good, but it's not that different from the other games. That might not be too much of a bad thing when you've found the winning formula, but being different was what made the originals classics. The NSMB games, while good, are far too similar. I can see both Galaxy games as classics, but not the NSMB games. Not yet anyway. When the best title is still shy of the previous greatness, something might be wrong.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#14 dustinb12

dustinb12

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Fandom:
    CM Punk, Zelda, Mario, Batman, ECW

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:09 AM

im loving it. i thought the 3ds coin gimmick would be silly but i really enjoyed it. in NSMB U when i got picked up in an airship with SMB 3 music playing i really got excited. i just wish they would incorporate some SMB2 in the mix. let me pick out of a few different characters who do different things. id love to bust bowser with Waluigi

Save the Deku trees!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!