17 replies to this topic

#1 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

If Retro have developed an entirely new games engine based off their previous engine used for developing Metroid Prime Trilogy or just a new games engine developed specifically with the Wii U's architecture in mind, which could rival Unreal 4, CryEngine 3, Frostbite 3 etc, and provided it free to indie developers (along with their dev-kits) those wanting to do exclusive Nintendo content, they could start competition with engine  developers who aren't currently supporting the Wii U.

If the engine worked at a smooth 60 frames at a minimum of native 720p at next gen level graphics, it'd force EA and Epic to compete to provide better next gen levels of visuals on Wii U ultimately pushing the bar of graphical standards on Wii U and thus making the argument more and more solid that Nintendo can compete in the 8th gen console race.

#2 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

Mach Rider reboot FTW!

Signature_DK.png

#3 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

A new engine.....Hmmmm, that could work, maybe other devs would actually look at the console now.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#4 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

That would be why they spend so much developing an API, they don't go around giving out free game engines, that would be insane.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#5 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

i dont see it being licensed outside of nintendo without a loyality contract.  

rumors have said the next retro game will be on a new wiiU spacific nextgen engine, so if that is true it should be high quality. 

its easier to see them target 1080p 30fps than 60fps 720p. regardless i do expect to see a engine that can outpreform cryengine on wiiU (the wiiU version), that looks as good as PS4 engines until more speclized next gen engines come out(unreal 4.5-5, frostbite3.5-4, ect.)

personly i expect 720p30fps with amazing visuals or 1080p30fps with great visuals.

#6 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

Everything is alright. But in no way should it be free for anyone to use.

#7 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:09 AM

That would be why they spend so much developing an API, they don't go around giving out free game engines, that would be insane.

I was wondering why it's taken 5 years to make a game, if they were using an out of the box engine they'd take 3 years max to make a game and polish everything, UNLESS it's because Nintendo kept on changing their hardware every 10 seconds that they had to adjust the game? Anyway I really hope it is a new engine, it'd really be a help to those who just want a Nintendo only engine that works straight out of the bag to bring next gen level graphics to a Nintendo console without optimisation or tweaking.

i dont see it being licensed outside of nintendo without a loyality contract.  

Yeah I think it should be limited to Nintendo exclusives, once it was made on this engine maybe it'd prevent porting.

Everything is alright. But in no way should it be free for anyone to use.

Hmmm well I think it'd be good to give it off for free for some developers to entice them over indie devs for example who can't afford the usual engines.

#8 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:35 AM

The work, and money, and time it takes to make a new engine, means Nintendo be crazy to give it for free. That's why COD: Ghost doesn't have a new engine.

However, the idea that EA would be forced to make their engine for Nintendo is also far fetched. EA has no business reason to make games for Nintendo. That might change if third party developers hits sell well on Wii U. Then EA will want some of that cash.

But, if it's free, then why would they use their own engine? Why not save money and use that engine Nintendo made?

Same problem with UE4. Epic used it's resources to port UE3 to Wii U. Probably because they had some customers who needed it, and at the time, UE4 wasn't ready. And they haven't gotten enough mine from the first port. So why waste money and time porting UE4, which has the same assets that UE3 does, to Wii U? Money could persuade them, but Nintendo making their own engine free for all wouldn't help. Why would anyone choose UE4 for Wii U when a free engine is available?

In the end, it's all business. It's not a power issue. Epic even admitted as much when they said the Wii U can run the new engine. If someone wanted to do the work for them.

One thing that might persuade them, however, is seeing a customer use the engine on the Wii U and make it look beautiful. Epic asks when someone does something with their engine that is impressive how you did that, and for curiosity sake, they might port it to see if they can do it. But even that is a long shot.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#9 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:37 AM

I was wondering why it's taken 5 years to make a game, if they were using an out of the box engine they'd take 3 years max to make a game and polish everything, UNLESS it's because Nintendo kept on changing their hardware every 10 seconds that they had to adjust the game? Anyway I really hope it is a new engine, it'd really be a help to those who just want a Nintendo only engine that works straight out of the bag to bring next gen level graphics to a Nintendo console without optimisation or tweaking.

Probably because games aren't about copy and pasting pictures.

They take time to make.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#10 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:43 AM

Retro's last full game was Donkey Kong Country Returns (which came out in 2010) And they co-developed Mario Kart 7 which came out at the end of 2011, I don't think they have been working on this new Wii U game for very long... Probably 2 years at the most.

Bring the noise.

#11 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:59 AM

Retro's last full game was Donkey Kong Country Returns (which came out in 2010) And they co-developed Mario Kart 7 which came out at the end of 2011, I don't think they have been working on this new Wii U game for very long... Probably 2 years at the most.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but I swear reading somewhere that Retro had been working on the Wii U dev kit since 2008

Edited by Penguin101, 28 May 2013 - 05:59 AM.

#12 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:24 AM

Now correct me if I'm wrong but I swear reading somewhere that Retro had been working on the Wii U dev kit since 2008

I cannot say either way... I do not know.

Bring the noise.

#13 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

I want a new Metroid on Wii U, the Wii U Zapper could come with it :)

#14 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

Maybe some artwork and ideas, but they were making DK during that time and a doubt the specs were even close to being done.

#15 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:02 AM

Maybe some artwork and ideas, but they were making DK during that time and a doubt the specs were even close to being done.

Yeah maybe they were introduced to the Wii U and given some time to draw up concepts of their next game, brainstorm mechanics, and story, maybe even choose what IP they worked on, but as soon as SK returns wa out of their hair they would have probably worked full steam ahead on whatever comes next.

#16 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:06 AM

I have a feeling the new retro game is going to be like wind waker in a way. Everyone expects insane visuals and a next gen art style, and then they get a something completely different and a bit "childish" and reject the game completely. Then the game comes out, and it has the est gameplay ever and the visuals are actually stunning, even today, 10 years later.. That's what I expect from Retro.
They probably are working on a game engine, just not a super spiffy one like everyone is expecting.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#17 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:19 AM

I have a feeling the new retro game is going to be like wind waker in a way. Everyone expects insane visuals and a next gen art style, and then they get a something completely different and a bit "childish" and reject the game completely. Then the game comes out, and it has the est gameplay ever and the visuals are actually stunning, even today, 10 years later.. That's what I expect from Retro.
They probably are working on a game engine, just not a super spiffy one like everyone is expecting.

If they do that it'd probably be one of the worst moves for Nintendo right at this moment. It'd be a game that only Nintendo fans would buy and right now Nintendo NEED to be attracting non-nintendo fans, this isn't the 90s anymore, Nintendo's name only brings in a small fraction (max 20 million) of its install base in a home console's lifetime. The Wii was probably 20 million Nintendo fans who buy a console because of the Nintendo IPs, 30 million Sony and Microsoft fans giving Nintendo a chance because of the potential of motion control over graphics (who now most feel betrayed by Nintendo), and 40 million+ casual gamers who now have a tablet or a smartphone.

Nintendo need to get that market of diehard Sony and Microsoft fans back with a show of visuals and next gen games. If they can prove visually that the Wii U is capable with Watch_Dogs, Bayonetta 2 and Retro's IP this year, then they may be able to convince that side to maybe give Nintendo a  try again. In turn the install base grows, in turn other companies decide to flip-flop on the lack of Nintendo support and start porting next gen games slowly but surely, then by E3 2014, it should have cause enough butterfly effect to start churning out more and more next gen support and more and more people will buy a Wii U, and gain further next gen support.....

Until the 8GB of RAM is utilised by third parties and next gen games can no longer be ported due to the lack of RAM in the Wii U, then Nintendo have to think fast about brining out a newer console

#18 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:07 AM

The only problem is the people they hired for this game don't usually make those kind of games. Not saying they can change and do something different, but there is no evidence to show for it.

If they do that it'd probably be one of the worst moves for Nintendo right at this moment. It'd be a game that only Nintendo fans would buy and right now Nintendo NEED to be attracting non-nintendo fans, this isn't the 90s anymore, Nintendo's name only brings in a small fraction (max 20 million) of its install base in a home console's lifetime. The Wii was probably 20 million Nintendo fans who buy a console because of the Nintendo IPs, 30 million Sony and Microsoft fans giving Nintendo a chance because of the potential of motion control over graphics (who now most feel betrayed by Nintendo), and 40 million+ casual gamers who now have a tablet or a smartphone.

Nintendo need to get that market of diehard Sony and Microsoft fans back with a show of visuals and next gen games. If they can prove visually that the Wii U is capable with Watch_Dogs, Bayonetta 2 and Retro's IP this year, then they may be able to convince that side to maybe give Nintendo a try again. In turn the install base grows, in turn other companies decide to flip-flop on the lack of Nintendo support and start porting next gen games slowly but surely, then by E3 2014, it should have cause enough butterfly effect to start churning out more and more next gen support and more and more people will buy a Wii U, and gain further next gen support.....

Until the 8GB of RAM is utilised by third parties and next gen games can no longer be ported due to the lack of RAM in the Wii U, then Nintendo have to think fast about brining out a newer console

I disagree with some of these notions. One, Nintendo will never get Sony die hard fans. Nintendo will never get the ultra diehard fans of Xbox. It's not going to happen.

What Nintendo needs to do is win back their fans. People who grew up playing Nintendo and made fun of people with a Sega. Who prayed to Mario and cursed Sonic. Ok lol maybe not that drastic but you get the idea.

And guess what? Those gamers aren't looking forward pr care about Retro's next title. If that title ends up being Metroid, Star Fox or some classic Nintendo franchise then they will pay attention.

All Nintendo needs to do is bring their games. Stop hoping third parties will be there savor and save themselves. And they'll so that this E3.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!