Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:29 AM

http://kotaku.com/ru...s-drm-509969406

TV host and industry pundit Geoff Keighley has said on tonight's Bonus Round TV show that, according to his sources, Sony is looking at some form of digital rights management for the sale of used games.

"...The one thing that is amazing to me is that right now we're not hearing a lot from the game publishers about what their view is on this. The console companies are becoming the bad guys. And, you know, Microsoft is getting beaten up a lot on it. Sony, I think, has been seen as this kind of white knight so far that's not going to restrict used games. Based on some of the things I'm hearing, I don't think that's entirely true, because I can't see publishers allowing one system to do one thing and one do another."

It's not the first time such a rumour has popped up; we told you the same thing over a year ago, and Sony's vague, open-ended statements on the matter to date have done little to ease people's fears.

If this is true I'm going to be sticking to my Nintendo. Call me a stupid fanboy if you wan't but I don't have the money to always be pumping out for new games and passes. If I had a full paying job I would consider but on my income I will be sticking to Nintendo. What are your thoughts on this crap?

Signature_DK.png

#2 BrandedSwordsman

BrandedSwordsman

Boo

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:36 AM

Edited by BrandedSwordsman, 20 May 2018 - 02:40 AM.

#3 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:52 AM

Oh common, Sony has seen the outrage that the Xbox got, why the hell would they do the same thing?

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#4 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:59 AM

Until this point I always told myself: "if Sony follows suit to Microsoft with the PS4, I'm not supporting it" 

If this is true I'll stick to the only, what seems to be, consumer friendly console manufacturer, Nintendo. 

Same here bro.

Oh common, Sony has seen the outrage that the Xbox got, why the hell would they do the same thing?

Because their actually are idiotic devs that don't use their head. 

Signature_DK.png

#5 Mara

Mara

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Fandom:
    DC Comics, One Piece, Monster Hunter

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:00 AM

PC and Wii U master race.

tumblr_mnhpywxuMx1ryr1z3o1_250.gif

#6 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:44 AM

It's not fangirlish to dislike drm.

We don't know all the details yet so acting like it's the end of the world and using it as an excuse to bash microsoft is fangirlish.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#7 Gimbal

Gimbal

Abscond

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • NNID:Savoir
  • Fandom:
    School Rumble

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:02 AM

Because if this is the case they had it planned since before they announced the console and already told the developers they'd be doing it.

"So if Zero Suit Samus is fanbait for guys, where is the fanbait for girls? Why isn’t Captain Falcon wearing a thong or sporting a chest twice the size of his last model? Why doesn’t Mario have an absurd crotch buldge holding in his 10 inch slice of manhood? Why doesn’t Yoshi look like a Fist of the North Starcharacter.

That, my friends, is why the design is sexist."~Angelo M. D'Argenio-4/17/2014

"Yes, because owning only 1 game in this series makes you qualified to have an opinion on it"~PyroKinesis-5/7/2014

"He is a game dev, critic, games media writer, and candidate for a phd by the way. So, LMFAO."~3Dude 9/4/2014

#8 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:05 AM

Don't mean to sound stupid but... What is DRM? ._.

#9 SDDMN

SDDMN

Boo

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Golden Sun, Zelda

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:15 AM

Digital rights management, or DRM, is a general term used to describe any type of technology that aims to stop, or at least ease, the practice of piracy. 

http://www.howstuffworks.com/drm.htm

SmashBros_zps4a8520f2.png

#10 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:58 AM

for example EA makes online passes so you can't play online without buying a pass, That pass is a DRM. Or not being able to play a single player game without being connected to the internet, that is also DRM.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#11 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:04 AM

Because if this is the case they had it planned since before they announced the console and already told the developers they'd be doing it.

Bingo. It's too integrated in the system for them to change it at this point, and third party devs are expecting it. It's funny that both the PS4 and X1 are now looking extremely identical. No backwards compatibility, no online purchases carried over, and DRM. And people wonder why I have no interest in this gen. :/ 

pNgecl.gif

#12 Half

Half

Blooper

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • NNID:HalfName
  • Fandom:
    Curse all fanboys/girls.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:16 AM

Eh, It looks like DRM might be the way of the future anyway, there's no avoiding it.
Now if they do DRM the Steam way... that'd be all right I guess.

FmEkJ2.gif

#13 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

EA is not placating gamers with the dissolution of their Online Pass for current gen.

But that seems worrisome to me.

It means that something else is in store for the new gen.

MS let the cat out of the bag concerning what they WANT to force consumers into.

But it sounds like the backlash was more than they were ready for.

So they'll likely adopt a less strict version AT FIRST. Until the install base is solid and they can start forcing things on people.

Sony has been getting a lot of default praise for something they haven't even committed to yet.  We don't know what their plan is here.  Just because MS is the devil doesn't make Sony the hero.

Will be interesting to see how this goes over the next couple of years.  I'm betting the two companies play nice at first, then start implementing policies that are DRM related.  Even though you BOUGHT your game full price. Watch licensing install screens start showing up on Ps4X1 now...

Edited by Socalmuscle, 31 May 2013 - 09:42 AM.

#14 Lightning_Ninja

Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • NNID:Lightning_Ninja
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

Until Sony says definitively whether they will have DRM or not, I'm not gonna pass personal judgment on them.  If the PS4 doesn't have DRM or an exorbitant pricetag, I see them getting a lot of sales this gen.  Having either one of those would hurt them significantly, at least in the short term.

#15 Mushlikeahusky1

Mushlikeahusky1

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi and luigis mansion.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

Nintendo needs to swoop in hard with the first party and third party support this winter if PS4 goes DRM a ton of people will go Wii U.

#16 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

It's not fangirlish to dislike drm.

We don't know all the details yet so acting like it's the end of the world and using it as an excuse to bash microsoft is fangirlish.

this, a whole lotta maybes and possible and "my sources"

Edited by DexterousGecko, 31 May 2013 - 11:38 AM.

#17 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

.....Watch those Wii U sales go up.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#18 Mara

Mara

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Fandom:
    DC Comics, One Piece, Monster Hunter

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

GCocCwz.png

The King

tumblr_mnhpywxuMx1ryr1z3o1_250.gif

#19 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

GCocCwz.png

The King

/thread

#20 TheDoritoKing

TheDoritoKing

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • NNID:Sir-Homsar

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

Eh, I buy my games new anyhow (unless they're retro ones that haven't been in production for over a decade), so I'm not really bothered by the DRM. Sure, you can't share/barrow with your friends, but it might just take those jerks at GameStop out of business.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!