Photo

Article: Apple To Beat Wii U To Tablet Gaming Market?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Pong

Pong

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:03 PM

http://gamerant.com/...ng-alex-101990/
What do you think?

Edited by Pong, 28 August 2011 - 09:14 PM.

#2 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:18 AM

-

Edited by BassDropper, 05 September 2013 - 01:53 AM.

#3 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:06 AM

I don't see this as any threat to the Wii U. The iPad does not have a dedicated gaming interface(buttons, analog sticks/pads, shoulder buttons, triggers) which is in every way superior to the iPad's 1 touch screen, and to download full console titles to your iPad/Apple TV would take up insane amounts of memory.
Posted Image

#4 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:27 AM

Yeah I like apple products and all, (i only have an old ipod that is used), but the ipad can not do the same type of gaming as the wii u. All the games are small games that most of the time cannot provide a deep experience like console gaming. Besides I do not believe the ipad is optimized for gaming like the wii u will be.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#5 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:13 AM

Lol, eff trying to play games completely by touch screen. It needs friggin' buttons. If anything, it isn't a threat. That's more of a gimmick than anything Nintendo have ever done... obviously in the bad way, I mean.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#6 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:36 AM

POPULAR

Why do people seem to think that Nintendo is trying to compete with Apple? o_o All that article had shown is how idiotic GameRant's journalism is. Let's quote some things from them, shall we?

"iPad AirPlay Mirroring in iOS 5 releases this fall and will offer tablet-to-TV gaming similar to the Wii U a year before the Nintendo’s console is set to be released. Is this Apple’s big push into console gaming?"

Anybody with a brain could tell you that if Apple did anything gaming, it'd be insanely overpriced. The iPad AirPlay requires a Apple TV and a iPad, right? The cheapest iPad is what...$500? And then the Apple TV attachment is only an extra $100...

"#1: The Wii U tablet controller includes the classic gaming controller features such as analog sticks, triggers and buttons that the iPad 2 is lacking but it certainly looks like Apple is set to meet Nintendo head on in the tablet controller gaming market and it’s Apple going into this tablet gaming battle with a big head start.

#2: Apple has the installed base advantage as they have already sold over a million iPad 2 devices and over a million Apple TVs that come complete with the App Store library full of games. The Wii U isn’t due for release until sometime in 2012 and all that stands between those Apple TV and iPad 2 owners’ and tablet-to-TV gaming is a free firmware update expected to arrive this Fall."

Let's simplify what they said. #1: The Wii U has all the control options the iPad 2 doesn't, but Apple is ready to beat Nintendo. That's fanboyism at its best...

#2: So...they've sold over a million iPad 2 devices and over a million Apple TVs, so that's a ABSOLUTELY NINTENDO-CRIPPLING FANBASE, RIGHT? And yet, the Wii has sold over 87.57 million units (as of June 30th, 2011) I'm not seeing much of a contest there.

"This similarity in systems will certainly affect game developers choice of platform when creating their next game. At very least, the ability to port games from Wii U to the iOS 5 AirPlay mirroring and vice versa will seem like an obvious path to take and a very cost-effective one at that."

Cost-effective my butt. The Wii U is at the most going to be $400. (Although, in my opinion, it'll most likely be $350) and the iPad is $500, with a $100 Apple TV attachment. And if the Wii U discs are 25 gigs each, how the heck are you going to port THOSE to a iPad? It'd take 3 days to download. -.- "The similarity in systems will certainly affect game developers choice of platform when creating their next game." So, at the time, Nintendo has sold almost 90 million units of the Wii, while the iPad 2/Apple TV only has somewhere over a million sales? If I were developing a game...I'd go for the one with the bigger sales/fanbase. (In other words...Nintendo.)

"If only Nintendo was willing to make iOS games (at a competitive price), maybe we would see Zelda iOS or Super Mario iPad Brawl. Maybe Apple should just buy Nintendo, since they’re already making such similar products…"

If Nintendo made iOS games...the quality would diminish greatly. "Zelda iOS" I prefer to actually have buttons to play a game like Zelda. "Super Mario iPad Brawl" Seriously? ...seriously. This is a bad idea if I've ever heard it. You couldn't play a game as complicated (it's technically complicated with all the buttons and whatnot) on a iPad. -_-

"Maybe Apple should just buy Nintendo, since they’re already making such similar products…"

Maybe Sony should buy Microsoft because their controllers are similar. Maybe HP should buy out dell because the ENTER key looks similar. This alone is troll logic.

All in all, this really just shows how anti-Nintendo GameRant is, and why have, for the most part, stopped reading their blog a LONG time ago.

Edited by Gamecollector44, 29 August 2011 - 08:55 AM.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#7 chipvader

chipvader

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:45 AM

this is such a fail
ipad is not a gaming console

#8 abbe

abbe

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:03 AM

Cost-effective my butt.

You mean cost effective MY AAAASS Posted Image

#9 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:08 PM

You mean cost effective MY AAAASS Posted Image

Love that gif with that angry video game nerd.

I would also like to add that the wii u isn't even aiming to get into the tablet market which the name of the article suggest.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#10 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:23 PM

I don't see the iPad being a threat to the Wii U. The iPad is designed to be taken with you wherever you go, not just to be used in front of the TV, like the Wii U is. Because of this, I don't expect Airplay to take off. Some of the App Store's bigger developers will probably support it, but I doubt that smaller developers will consider it to be of any benefit to them.

#11 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:43 PM

I don't see the iPad being a threat to the Wii U. The iPad is designed to be taken with you wherever you go, not just to be used in front of the TV, like the Wii U is. Because of this, I don't expect Airplay to take off. Some of the App Store's bigger developers will probably support it, but I doubt that smaller developers will consider it to be of any benefit to them.

Yeah, this I agree with. I feel it's the same way with what's going to happen with Vita+PS3. I really don't see either of them be utilized that often

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#12 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:48 PM

POPULAR

"If only Nintendo was willing to make iOS games (at a competitive price), maybe we would see Zelda iOS or Super Mario iPad Brawl. Maybe Apple should just buy Nintendo, since they’re already making such similar products…"

If Nintendo made iOS games...the quality would diminish greatly. "Zelda iOS" I prefer to actually have buttons to play a game like Zelda. "Super Mario iPad Brawl" Seriously? ...seriously. This is a bad idea if I've ever heard it. You couldn't play a game as complicated (it's technically complicated with all the buttons and whatnot) on a iPad. -_-

You're forgetting one important point that destroys all of their gaming credibility: They got Smash Bros. and Super Mario mixed up. I expect workoholic parents to make that mistake, not people writing articles... ON GAMING.

FYI, I didn't read the article and wont comment on it. For obvious reasons.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#13 Pong

Pong

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:17 PM

Here is a similar separate article: http://myona.com/201...les-ipad-prove/

#14 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:59 PM

Here is a similar separate article: http://myona.com/201...les-ipad-prove/

That article proved even less than the GameRant article...which already proved nothing.

GameZombie44.png

#15 Pac-1234

Pac-1234

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:06 AM

Well, to a certain degree, Apple has been trying to kill dedicated gaming consoles (handhelds more prominently ) by strongly supporting casual gaming in. its devices. I suppose that, although focusing primarily in the handheld market, Apple is also trying to kill dedicated home consoles.

However, the way Apple is doing it is somewhat slow. Apple has not openly said it is planning to do so, but its actions speak louder.

The way I see it, Apple would only pose a threat to Nintendo (And any other console manufacturer) if it starts putting buttons in its devices.

If you think of it, that's the only thing preventing Apple from being a direct (keyword ) competitor in the dedicated console business.

The day Apple announces an "isomething" device, it'll be the day to start worrying for the dedicated console industry as we know it.

#16 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:51 AM

The way I see it, Apple would only pose a threat to Nintendo (And any other console manufacturer) if it starts putting buttons in its devices.

If you think of it, that's the only thing preventing Apple from being a direct (keyword ) competitor in the dedicated console business.

Well, there's more than that. There's the fact that all of Apples stuff is grossly overpriced, and is 'outdated' every 6 months by another 'updated' model that is pretty much the same to the previous model.

GameZombie44.png

#17 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:02 PM

Posted Image

Edited by Andy, 03 September 2011 - 11:04 PM.

Posted Image

#18 MetaHelghan

MetaHelghan

Goomba

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Fandom:
    Call of Duty: Black Ops

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:50 AM

As stated before in the thread iPad won't be a threat to the Wii U. iPad and Wii U are aimed at too completely different crowds. iPad for the casual, Wii U for the hardcore. Nothing to really worry about here.

#19 PK-Gaming

PK-Gaming

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Fandom:
    Ubisoft,CD Projekt,Take Two

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:33 AM

It was funny that some sony fan said that PS3+VITA is 2 times better then Wii U sad really he saud that.

Edited by LordGhirahim, 11 September 2011 - 06:33 AM.

Posted Image

#20 Gruff

Gruff

Jigglypuff

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Animal Crossing, SSB, Nintendo

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:35 PM

No, I don't think Nintendo will be hurt at all. Apple has some cool gaming products, but nothing that will beat Nintendo in gaming.

Villager.jpgBleh eh eh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!