Photo

Any Graphic Arist here that could do me a huge solid?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Distractionwolf

Distractionwolf

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

So I have no skill for the visual arts at all, digital or otherwise, and I want this so bad it hurts which is why I'm sending an open beacon for help!

I am a huge fan of A Song of Ice and Fire, frequently known now as Game of Thrones thanks to the hit HBO television adaption of the book series by George R.R. Martin. For those who don't know (skip this paragraph if you do by all means) Game of Thrones is an epic fantasy with lots of political and interpersonal intrigue, a major draw of which is that several high born families in its neo-medevial setting act as factions that have their own motivations, goals, and cast of characters.

One of the little flavor things about this is that each family has a sigil - a banner depicting a symbol of the family in the same veign as a family coat of arms. It is usually just one symbol, often an animal though not always, of a certain color on a "field" (what the background is called on a coat of arms) of anotehr color. Each family also has its own "words". A kind of slogan for the family.

When the series launched HBO had a series of promotional desktop backgrounds for each house. What I've wanted to do is make my own version of one of these using my OWN real family as the basis, as thoug my family were one of the fictional families of the series. I want it to look as close to the official desktops as possible. Here are some examples of them:

House Stark - "Winter is Coming"

http://images4.fanpo...3-1600-1200.jpg

House Lannister - "Hear me Roar"

http://images5.fanpo...6-1600-1200.jpg

House Baratheon - "Ours is the Fury"

http://images4.fanpo...4-1600-1200.jpg

House Greyjoy - "We Do Not Sow"

http://images6.fanpo...8-1600-1200.jpg

So I want one of these for my own family name essentially. I'd be using it as a desktop background and as a cover photo for my personal facebook page mostly, but may use a scaled down version as an avatar or signiture for forums as well. I would gladly put the creators name (or nickname) and website if you have one everywhere that I use it. If anything else would be needed from me, let me know here or in private message.

My family name is Cox. Our actual coat of arms has a rooster. So What I wanted to do was have the profile of Red rooster on a green field with the words for House Cox being "With Us Comes the Dawn"

Let me know if there are any takers. I've been dying to have this done for a while and I know there are a lot of creative people on these forums! It would be appreciated so so much, you'd be doing one fanboy a dream come true! And let me know if there is anything else you need.

Edited by Distractionwolf, 26 June 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#2 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

You should ask in The Mueseum section. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#3 Distractionwolf

Distractionwolf

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:37 PM

GAAHHHH! Your right!!! What was i thinking! That section is perfect. Can a mod move this possibly? I don't want to double post...

#4 Sage

Sage

Chronicler

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • NNID:ViralLight
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda, Splatushi

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:51 PM

Do you know how much work and time goes into making something like this? I'll see what I can do but don't expect it too soon.

#5 Distractionwolf

Distractionwolf

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

No. I don't know. But I imagine a lot. I've got some handicaps that prevent me from having any skill in the graphic arts and I have nothing but respect for people who can do it. If there is any way I can compensate let me know...is what I've been trying to hint at without putting to much gravity to it. This forum isn't a market place so I am just trying to use a bit of discretion but I know there is great talent here.

Edited by Distractionwolf, 26 June 2013 - 04:16 PM.

#6 Sage

Sage

Chronicler

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • NNID:ViralLight
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda, Splatushi

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

No. I don't know. But I imagine a lot. I've got some handicaps that prevent me from having any skill in the graphic arts and I have nothing but respect for people who can do it. If there is any way I can compensate let me know...is what I've been trying to hint at without putting to much gravity to it. This forum isn't a market place so I am just trying to use a bit of discretion but I know there is great talent here.

That's fine, it's just making a vector like those isn't that easy. You have to spend time designing it to make it look cool but fit in with the overall design of what your are trying to match. Then you have to do texturing for the background and the vector but you have to figure a good texture for the design. Then there is the typeface which is something you can wrack your brain on for awhile.

#7 Distractionwolf

Distractionwolf

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

That's fine, it's just making a vector like those isn't that easy. You have to spend time designing it to make it look cool but fit in with the overall design of what your are trying to match. Then you have to do texturing for the background and the vector but you have to figure a good texture for the design. Then there is the typeface which is something you can wrack your brain on for awhile.

I wonder if we could make it any easier somehow... Like I've seen other projects where people posted and were like "What font is this?" for something crazy. Like I am not sure what he was doing, but one guy wanted the font used for the words "Stage Clear" on the Sega Genesis game "Streets of Rage". I wonder if we could actually find that font...

#8 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

Well, a lot of fonts are custom...  And when people copy the style of font, they typically recreate it from each preexisting letter...  I'd consider helping, as I have illustrator and other stuff, but my schedule just wouldn't really allow it right now.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!