Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

The Vault is Slate's new history blog. Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter @slatevault, and find us on Tumblr. Find out more about what this space is all about here.

This week’s Supreme Court decision in Shelby County v. Holder overturned Section 4(B) of the 1965 Voting Rights Act, which mandated federal oversight of changes in voting procedure in jurisdictions that have a history of using a “test or device” to impede enfranchisement. Here is one example of such a test, used in Louisiana in 1964.

After the end of the Civil War, would-be black voters in the South faced an array of disproportionate barriers to enfranchisement. The literacy test—supposedly applicable to both white and black prospective voters who couldn’t prove a certain level of education but in actuality disproportionately administered to black voters—was a classic example of one of these barriers.

The website of the Civil Rights Movement Veterans, which collects materials relat

http://www.slate.com..._louisiana.html

Literally confusing.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

Oh my
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#3 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

White guilt is hip and PC but this test is not really that hard if you possess the skills it's testing for.  

"Draw a line under the last word in this line."   What's confusing about that?

Edited by kokirii, 28 June 2013 - 05:42 PM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#4 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

I'm white and I find this offensive.

#5 aaron

aaron

noraA

• Members
  • 756 posts
  • Fandom:
    You

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

Spell backwards, forwards.

by chance

#6 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

The first question in the test made no sense but the rest wasn't hard, but they were stupid questions lol

#7 aaron

aaron

noraA

• Members
  • 756 posts
  • Fandom:
    You

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

The first question in the test made no sense but the rest wasn't hard, but they were stupid questions lol

I found the directions of some confusing, such as spelling a word out, they should have just put quotation marks around the word they wanted you to spell.

by chance

#8 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

I found the directions of some confusing, such as spelling a word out, they should have just put quotation marks around the word they wanted you to spell.

I ddnt actually read them all lol :P I got through most of the first page and got lazy. The ones I did read week hard, just worded stupid.

#9 aaron

aaron

noraA

• Members
  • 756 posts
  • Fandom:
    You

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

I ddnt actually read them all lol :P I got through most of the first page and got lazy. The ones I did read week hard, just worded stupid.

So I wasted my time by reading the entire thing? D:

by chance

#10 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

So I wasted my time by reading the entire thing? D:

Probably lol jk if u got amusement out of reading it then no.

#11 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:25 AM

@1: I assume it wants you to circle the number 1?

Hey wait, 17-18 are math based! No fair. :P

20 is such a trick question. I can't tell if it's asking to spell "forwards" backwards, or "backwards" normally. I think the second.

Lol@ 21... that is so random and unnecessary. Writing a word upside down?

24... Wow. Really? Knowing a palindrome off the top of your head is necessary to be considered literate?

27... "Write right from the left to the right as you see it spelled here." Um... Wat? I THINK that just means to write "right" normally. Wtf. xD

I think 30. is grammatically incorrect. O_o

Well um... Normally doing a 30 question quiz in 10 minutes is difficult, only 1/3 of a minute can be wasted on each... But these questions are specifically built to make you waste time figuring it out. You can't even get one wrong. This is insane lol.

Posted Image

#12 stardust

stardust

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:48 AM

As a result to this test being banned, now we just have stupid people being allowed to vote for the worst candidate.

Thanks to the south, for being so thoughtful of such consequences.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!