• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

http://www.polygon.c...smashes-records

Super Smash Bros. Melee Evo 2013 livestream smashes records

The livestream of Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. Melee tournament from this weekend's Evo 2013 event hit 100 thousand concurrent viewers, breaking records for the most watched fighting game, according to the Evo co-founder Tom "inkblot" Cannon. It set a new record when the stream peaked at more than 130 thousand concurrent viewers.

Last week, organizers of the Evo 2013 championships canceled plans to livestream Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. Melee from the weekend's event, stating Nintendo of America denied the tournament holders permission to broadcast the game online. A few days later, Evo co-founder Joey "Mr Wizard" Cuellar revealed in an interview with OneMoreGameTV, that Nintendo had initially tried to shut down Evo's Smash event, not just the streaming portion of the tournament.

Mango defeated Wobblez in the Super Smash Bros. Melee tournament grand final earlier today. You can watch the fight below.

Wooooooooooooooooooow, and they wanted to shut down the Melee livestream?

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#2 Viridi

Viridi

Goddess of Nature

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

I think Marvel and Street Fighter managed to edge it out with 140K+, but that's still pretty impressive considering Nintendo didn't want them to stream Melee in the first place.

5pjF3yM.png?1?7338

"Nice shot if I do say so myself! Good riddance, human scum! The world's better off without you!"

#3 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

That's pretty impressive for a livestreaming of an over ten year old game from two gens ago. It such a great fighting game.
zZJ9pHB.png
Special thanks to Horchata. I appreciate it so much.

#4 nbond3040

nbond3040

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Fandom:
    Code Geass,Minecraft

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

I really hope they do it for another year or more because I watched the end of the mele tournament and it was amazing I personally have never got too into smash bros game and that made me really want to get the new one and try it out

#5 BnB

BnB

Shoto Killer

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Fandom:
    Fighting Game Junkie

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

Like everyone said, pretty impressive for an old game, but MARVEL topped Melee shortly after...

tumblr_mr2nvhlPCe1s1terdo1_500_zpsc92fde

PSN: Kallusiive // NNIDEX_NewEra

#6 White Trite Chronicles

White Trite Chronicles

Freelance Police

• Members
  • 301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

Plenty of people have said this already, but UMVC3 and Street Fighter completely overshadowed Melee in terms of viewers.

Regardless, the Top 8 was still amazing for Melee and I absolutely enjoyed myself watching it.

ecmB6v9.gif

PSN ID: TranceKujo. 

#7 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

Wooooooooooooooooooow, and they wanted to shut down the Melee livestream?

Bleedin' good job they didn't lol

Amazing btw!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!