Photo

Verge: Will the NSA used the Xbox One to spy on your family?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

You close a laptop when you're not using it. Your phone faces the inside of a pocket, a purse, or lies flat on a table. But the Microsoft Kinect, an always-on camera that will come with every new Xbox One game console, gets a perfect view of your living room. It's always listening for voice commands, even when you turn the Xbox off. It can even read your heartbeat with the right software.

Microsoft says it doesn't plan to abuse that power, and claims it couldn't even if it tried. The company told us that the Kinect's cameras and microphones aren't actually recording or transmitting any audio or video data back to Microsoft's servers without the user's explicit consent, and all ambiently collected data is anonymized. While some voice commands are processed at Microsoft’s servers, they’re converted to text before they ever leave the machine, and biometric data is translated into numerical values that simply indicate, say, where a player’s limbs are during online multiplayer games.

"We aren't using Kinect to snoop on anybody at all," said Microsoft's Phil Harrison.

But would Microsoft be willing to help the government snoop? That's a good question. Last week, a report in The Guardian alleged that Microsoft gave government agencies access to private Skype video and audio calls, perhaps even going so far as to integrate Skype into the NSA's controversial PRISM surveillance system.

http://www.theverge....-on-your-family

Well, I don't trust you at all  Microsoft.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

We never trusted them in the first place. They sound...disreputable.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#3 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

I hope they do spy on me when I get my Xbox One. It really doesn't bother me one bit.

• BnB likes this

#4 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

"We aren't using Kinect to snoop on anybody at all" That isn't the first lie you guys have said before. 

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#5 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

I dunno, guys. I'm spooked.

2spooky4me

#6 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

mshxfd.jpg

#7 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

You guys remind me of the scanner darkly guys.

#8 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

mshxfd.jpg

OMG I love that. ^_^
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#9 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

So basically, all you have to do is masturbate while looking deeply into the camera to make them regret taking that approach. Either they will say it's not worth it, or they weren't doing it in the first place.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#10 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:34 PM

America needs to sort this mess out, all the spying and s**t, and telling other countries what to do, and interfering with things that have nothing to do with them e.g; wars and stuff. In my honest opinion America will p**s the rest of the world off soooooo much THEY will be responsible for the next World War.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!