Photo

Dev On PS4′s RAM and Cores: “Still Scratching Our Heads As To What To Do With It

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

We recently spoke to Compulsions Games’ Sam Abbott – currently developing Contrast for the PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. We asked him how does the PS4’s unified architecture and 8GB of RAM help bring Contrast to life.

Abbot responded that, “Haha, well, it makes it really easy to get onto their platform! There is so much memory and so many cores on that machine we’re still scratching our head as to what to do with all of them.”

With all the talk going around about how easy it is to develop for the console, as well as to bring PC games over (as Warframe developer Digital Extremes recently attested to), we asked Abbott if it was as simple as just picking up the PC code and pasting it on to the PS4?

“It’s definitely a lot easier than on the previous generation of consoles where the architecture was much more divergent from PCs, but it’s also not as simple as cut & paste .Once the industry has had a few months to iron out its kinks, it should be much easier to develop for the PS4 than for the PS3.”

http://www.gamekicke...-do-with-it-all

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 PyroKinesis

PyroKinesis

Boo

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario Party, Animal Crossing

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

Can't wait for this Fall. PS4 gaming should be fantastic. Will be looking forward to seeing if I can get more PS4 games than 360 games.

#3 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

The good: to much ram than you would reasonably need, the bad, the hardware limits offer comparatively little room for hardware optimization, but with that much power, who needs it, right

#4 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

I gotta say, the idea of a decent pc that is no maintenance for 7 years sounds awfully tempting...

#5 IvyT

IvyT

Blooper

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • NNID:IvyTamwood
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

I gotta say, the idea of a decent pc that is no maintenance for 7 years sounds awfully tempting...

Especially after a price cut, getting a PS4 for $300 would be such a great deal. I usually wait for the first revision to the hardware, but I don't know if I'll be able to hold out this time... Now I just need software to convince me too.

978478ba3d3649b2a57100410081a33a-d3aghdp

Now Playing: Super Mario Galaxy (Wii), The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

NNID: IvyTamwood PSN: Regithiel

#6 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

if only the WiiU had this problem !

#7 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

cool but i think it will lend to crappy coding in the begin.

So much ram and cores that you can be lazy and still get better then ps3.

But once the devs start to really code and optimize there code then games will really show and look great.

youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#8 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

Especially after a price cut, getting a PS4 for $300 would be such a great deal. I usually wait for the first revision to the hardware, but I don't know if I'll be able to hold out this time... Now I just need software to convince me too.

See, I decided a while ago to hold off this time. I'm going to be busy for the next two years so I won't really miss much I'm thinking. I'll get a cheaper and probably a more stable build of the PS4. Bonus, the library should be decent as well! If you can survive with a Wii U and a PC for a while, you should go for it.

Edited by DexterousGecko, 21 July 2013 - 08:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!