Photo

What can Nintendo do to fix their relations with third-party developers?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 BobbyRiddle

BobbyRiddle

Thwomp

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:34 AM

Literally the only way Nintendo is going to get these fickle, cowardly jerks to support them is to basically HUMILIATE them and prove their initial impressions of the Wii U wrong. Like they did with the 3DS. And the only way that's going to happen is with Nintendo's unique software in order to drive sales. Nintendo is not going to throw money needlessly because ultimately it'll be money wasted since 3rd parties are, at the end of the day, mercenaries that would stab them in the back the second they got a chance.

I agree for the most part except for one thing.  Throwing money at publishers to get games like GTA V, Bioshock, Far Cry, CoD, and the EA sports titles would certainly not be considered needlessly wasting money.  At the very least those are essential titles that should be available on all platforms so that potential buyers are not discouraged.  The trouble with the Wii U is that, for people that can only afford one next gen console, it is not attractive because these potential buyers are aware that the Wii U might not get these essential games.  I would love top only have to buy one next gen console, and the Wii U with it's stable of Nintendo exclusives combined with third party support of just the major franchises would have been perfect for me.  I'm not sure that Nintendo will be able to humiliate the competition this time around without some third party support since it appears that they will not have the casual gamers to bail them out this time around.

Currently playing: AC 3, ZombiU, BLOPS 2, Nintendoland, NSMBU, Nano Assault Neo, Halo 4, Darksiders 2, and Far Cry 3

Wii U ID------BeMore

#22 Aiddon

Aiddon

Blooper

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

I agree for the most part except for one thing.  Throwing money at publishers to get games like GTA V, Bioshock, Far Cry, CoD, and the EA sports titles would certainly not be considered needlessly wasting money. 

Wrong, because, like I said, they might get ONE publisher on their side, but then everyone else would demand money as well, so the effort would have been pointless. 3rd parties are probably the biggest and most entitled brats in the industry right now, ESPECIALLY Western ones who can't even wipe their own ass.

#23 BobbyRiddle

BobbyRiddle

Thwomp

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

Wrong, because, like I said, they might get ONE publisher on their side, but then everyone else would demand money as well, so the effort would have been pointless. 3rd parties are probably the biggest and most entitled brats in the industry right now, ESPECIALLY Western ones who can't even wipe their own ass.

Well they already seem to have Activision, Ubisoft, and Capcom to a certain extent and we all see how far that is getting them.  i just don't see how Nintendo can hope to compete this time around without a compelling gimmick for the casuals or the big third party releases.  Your strategy of humiliating the third parties with first party exclusive sales just won't hold water I'm afraid.  How exactly would that work?

Currently playing: AC 3, ZombiU, BLOPS 2, Nintendoland, NSMBU, Nano Assault Neo, Halo 4, Darksiders 2, and Far Cry 3

Wii U ID------BeMore

#24 LaserSWE

LaserSWE

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

Except if they DID pay up, other 3rd parties would pitch a fit and demand to ALSO have money thrown at them. Not gonna happen, especially when 3rd parties have shown to be untrustworthy anyway. They're nothing more than mercenaries. Though oddly not particularly good ones.

If they DID pay up for important titles that would result in an actual userbase and, hence, other third party would like to be there because there are money to be made. Its just silly to claim that every other third party publisher suddenly would demand Nintendo to finance their Wii U games at that point. Again, this is not something new or unheard off... all other console-producers have taken this approach with excellent results. Meanwhile Nintendo does what with third party? Meanwhile Wii U sells how much? They gotta see that they have to spend some to gain some at this point.

Edited by LaserSWE, 08 August 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#25 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

Nintendo need to open up more, they are making their consoles more of a closed system than Apple products.

I don't think the big names will ever be back on board with a Nintendo system.

#26 Aiddon

Aiddon

Blooper

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

Well they already seem to have Activision, Ubisoft, and Capcom to a certain extent and we all see how far that is getting them.  i just don't see how Nintendo can hope to compete this time around without a compelling gimmick for the casuals or the big third party releases.  Your strategy of humiliating the third parties with first party exclusive sales just won't hold water I'm afraid.  How exactly would that work?

Because ultimately 3rd parties are lazy. Nintendo did the exact same thing with the 3DS and held their 1st party stuff back because, let's face it, 3rd parties practically throw tantrums whenever a 1st party title shows up. And yet, despite having a SIX MONTH BUFFER, they wasted their chance and Nintendo had to come in anyway, thus humiliating 3rd parties like EA and Ubisoft who wrote the system off too quickly and paid for it. Now the system can pretty much sustain itself on Nintendo titles with ease, along with a healthy array of Japanese 3rd party titles.

I just find it funny how the people Nintendo should be pandering and courting are in fact the biggest spoiled brats in the industry. Ubisoft, Activision, EA, and lots of other 3rd parties practically sabotaged their own efforts with sub-par releases and then stamped their feet like children when their sloppy, milquetoast efforts were rightfully shunned and even scorned. It's pathetic.They have officially given up any right to whine about not selling on Nintendo consoles since they didn't put forth the effort, unlike Nintendo who always gives it their all. I have freaking had it with 3rd parties.

Edited by Aiddon, 08 August 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#27 BobbyRiddle

BobbyRiddle

Thwomp

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:55 AM

Because ultimately 3rd parties are lazy. Nintendo did the exact same thing with the 3DS and held their 1st party stuff back because, let's face it, 3rd parties practically throw tantrums whenever a 1st party title shows up. And yet, despite having a SIX MONTH BUFFER, they wasted their chance and Nintendo had to come in anyway, thus humiliating 3rd parties like EA and Ubisoft who wrote the system off too quickly and paid for it. Now the system can pretty much sustain itself on Nintendo titles with ease, along with a healthy array of Japanese 3rd party titles.

I just find it funny how the people Nintendo should be pandering and courting are in fact the biggest spoiled brats in the industry. Ubisoft, Activision, EA, and lots of other 3rd parties practically sabotaged their own efforts with sub-par releases and then stamped their feet like children when their sloppy, milquetoast efforts were rightfully shunned and even scorned. It's pathetic.They have officially given up any right to whine about not selling on Nintendo consoles since they didn't put forth the effort, unlike Nintendo who always gives it their all. I have freaking had it with 3rd parties.

Excellent points man, and I hope it does play out that way, but there is one huge X factor.  I know there are definite similarities between the early performance of the 3DS and the Wii U.  However, the competition that the Wii U has is a far different animal.  Did you ever have any doubt that the 3DS would kick the tar out of the Vita?  Sony bungled the hell out of it's handling of the Vita and practically handed the victory to Nintendo on a silver platter.  Nintendo can afford to say eff them and shrug off third party support on the 3DS, but something tells me that MS and Sony will not be so generous in the console race.  The Wii U is not the Wii.....far from it.  The Wii was basically a surprise fad.  The Wii U caters to core gamers, and let's face it, Nintendo has all but wasted the huge advantage that they had by launching first.  

Wii U ID------BeMore

#28 Mahmoodinho98

Mahmoodinho98

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • Fandom:
    Halo,Nintendo,Arsenal and Merrikh

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:14 AM

guys you still cant get the point  nintendo should give consumers a reason to buy the wii u other than gamepad and pickmin 3 maybe a range of games like exclusive scifi shooters like halo and exclusive racing games and adventure games like infamous ,forza ,uncharted and also improve advertising around the world.

no people in africa no the wii u

#29 Aiddon

Aiddon

Blooper

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:28 AM

Excellent points man, and I hope it does play out that way, but there is one huge X factor.  I know there are definite similarities between the early performance of the 3DS and the Wii U.  However, the competition that the Wii U has is a far different animal.  Did you ever have any doubt that the 3DS would kick the tar out of the Vita?  Sony bungled the hell out of it's handling of the Vita and practically handed the victory to Nintendo on a silver platter.  Nintendo can afford to say eff them and shrug off third party support on the 3DS, but something tells me that MS and Sony will not be so generous in the console race.  The Wii U is not the Wii.....far from it.  The Wii was basically a surprise fad.  The Wii U caters to core gamers, and let's face it, Nintendo has all but wasted the huge advantage that they had by launching first.  

Except the PS4 and XB1 are in unfamiliar territory. The upcoming year is their FIRST YEAR, and everyone who has studied gaming history knows what that means: first year doldrums. More than likely Sony and MS will experience the same big launch as the Wii U followed shortly thereafter by slow, plodding months where the systems don't sell all that much. People keep SAYING that "oh, that won't happen, that won't happen!", but that has been said at TONS of system launches only for it to ring hollow. Like they say, two's coincidence, three's a pattern. And that pattern has held itself from the Playstation 1 launch to every system launch from then on. Nintendo, on the other hand, is entering their second year with the Wii U and have shown they'll be going all guns blazing. Not exactly a lineup I'd be wanting to bet against.

#30 BobbyRiddle

BobbyRiddle

Thwomp

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

Except the PS4 and XB1 are in unfamiliar territory. The upcoming year is their FIRST YEAR, and everyone who has studied gaming history knows what that means: first year doldrums. More than likely Sony and MS will experience the same big launch as the Wii U followed shortly thereafter by slow, plodding months where the systems don't sell all that much. People keep SAYING that "oh, that won't happen, that won't happen!", but that has been said at TONS of system launches only for it to ring hollow. Like they say, two's coincidence, three's a pattern. And that pattern has held itself from the Playstation 1 launch to every system launch from then on. Nintendo, on the other hand, is entering their second year with the Wii U and have shown they'll be going all guns blazing. Not exactly a lineup I'd be wanting to bet against.

I hope you are right...it really does look like it might be worth the wait.  After watching the IGN combat video of TW101 my hopes are now through the roof.

Wii U ID------BeMore

#31 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

Spiny

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:50 AM

I think the only thing Nintendo can do is keep working to release amazing first party titles that will sell the system.  Then the third parties will come back.  It's not that complicated of a formula, if they feel their time will be worth it in dollars, they'll put the time in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!