• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#1 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:34 PM

I just found this video and it got me thinking. Rumour has it that the Wii 2's going to be something insanely powerful. If it's powerful enough to run Unreal Engine 3, combined with a head start of a year of more on the competition, Nintendo very well may have the next generation in the bag. I mean, what kind of third-party developer would not want to develop for a console that can do this?

Warning: the video gets pretty bloody violent about halfway through.

#2 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:27 PM

I just found this video and it got me thinking. Rumour has it that the Wii 2's going to be something insanely powerful. If it's powerful enough to run Unreal Engine 3, combined with a head start of a year of more on the competition, Nintendo very well may have the next generation in the bag. I mean, what kind of third-party developer would not want to develop for a console that can do this?

Warning: the video gets pretty bloody violent about halfway through.

But Keep in mind that this could lead to longer Development Cycles for the Games, which would mean less games per year

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#3 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:37 PM

But Keep in mind that this could lead to longer Development Cycles for the Games, which would mean less games per year

The whole purpose of pre-made engines like Unreal is to allow developers to create games that look absolutely amazing without extending the development cycle too long or raising costs too much. That's part of the reason I'm so excited about this. :P

#4 Cornelius

Cornelius

Goomba

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Fandom:
    POKEMON,MARIO,ZELDA,SMASH BROS.

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:42 PM

feld0 burns are the best haha. i think that would be a sweet upgrade for nintendo.
NINTENDO FAN FOR LIFE.

#5 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:54 PM

If the engine can't do more Anime-y colors and shades (And Cel-shading and fantasy etc. etc.), then I really don't care... Outside of a metroid game, of course.

Also, does anyone else notice the irony? I'll give you a hint - The engine is called unreal. :P
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#6 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:24 PM

The whole purpose of pre-made engines like Unreal is to allow developers to create games that look absolutely amazing without extending the development cycle too long or raising costs too much. That's part of the reason I'm so excited about this. :P

Aye, but then there also is the issue of If Epic will allow it. They own the engine, and they have been pretty antinintendo as of late

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

#7 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:28 AM

If the Wii 2 is more powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360, I think that Epic would allow Unreal Engine 3 to be run on the Wii 2. If Nintendo are able to make games that look as good as that demo, then I believe they will win back a lot of the hardcore market.

#8 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:01 AM

feld0 burns are the best haha. i think that would be a sweet upgrade for nintendo.

Glad you enjoyed that. I didn't mean to make it sound funny or anything, but thanks. :P

Aye, but then there also is the issue of If Epic will allow it. They own the engine, and they have been pretty antinintendo as of late

I think they would. Mark Rein said he actually has nothing against Nintendo. Judging by the current state of rumours, his only excuse - lack of power - will be rendered completely moot by the Wii's successor.

If the Wii 2 is more powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360, I think that Epic would allow Unreal Engine 3 to be run on the Wii 2. If Nintendo are able to make games that look as good as that demo, then I believe they will win back a lot of the hardcore market.

Exactly.

#9 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:20 AM

Glad you enjoyed that. I didn't mean to make it sound funny or anything, but thanks. :P

I think they would. Mark Rein said he actually has nothing against Nintendo. Judging by the current state of rumours, his only excuse - lack of power - will be rendered completely moot by the Wii's successor.

Exactly.

It seems I was wrong. 1 point Feld0, 0 points wiiwouldlike2play

#10 CaptainFalco311

CaptainFalco311

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Fandom:
    Earthbound/Mother, Metroid, Zelda

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

Unreal Engine 3? In my opinion, if Nintendo wants to have a powerful next-gen console, they need to go for Unreal Engine 4. UE4 will probably be the industry standard in the next generation.

#11 Biohazard

Biohazard

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Gears of War, Killzone

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:12 PM

Unreal Engine 3? In my opinion, if Nintendo wants to have a powerful next-gen console, they need to go for Unreal Engine 4. UE4 will probably be the industry standard in the next generation.

Mark Rein said the Unreal Engine 4 won't run on next-generation consoles.

#12 Play4Fun

Play4Fun

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Fandom:
    legend of Zelda

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:12 AM

Actually, he said it won't run on this generation of consoles. It will on next generation's.
You know what guys?
It's amazing how the the human mind does not process the the fact I used the word "the" twice in a row in this sentence.

#13 Biohazard

Biohazard

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:13 AM

Actually, he said it won't run on this generation of consoles. It will on next generation's.

Rein didn’t go into anymore detail, but he did state that when the PS4 and Xbox 720 arrive on the market UE4 won’t run on them either.

Link

#14 Play4Fun

Play4Fun

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Fandom:
    legend of Zelda

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:15 AM

Link

Oh, I must have mistaken the comment for UE3 for UE4.
You know what guys?
It's amazing how the the human mind does not process the the fact I used the word "the" twice in a row in this sentence.

#15 CaptainFalco311

CaptainFalco311

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Fandom:
    Earthbound/Mother, Metroid, Zelda

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:09 PM

Objection!

#16 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:27 PM

Objection!

*Applaud*
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#17 Play4Fun

Play4Fun

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Fandom:
    legend of Zelda

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:42 PM

Objection!

LOL!

I knew I had read that somewhere.

Nice link BTW.
You know what guys?

#18 Biohazard

Biohazard

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:46 PM

LOL! Great link!

However, Epic Games President Michael Capps made that statement way back in 2008. The statement I posted was most recent, 2010. You can take everything I say with a grain of salt. It is peculiar that we're hearing two different stories from the same company. I'm just going with what they're saying.

#19 0003mg

0003mg

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Fandom:
    Way too many to list

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:26 PM

If it is as or more powerful than a PS3 then it will definitely run, maybe even Unreal Engine 4.

#20 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:31 PM

Third parties love excuses. They'll find some stupid excuse not to develop engines or games on Nintendo systems.

The real reason will always be: Nintendo is quality.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!