Photo

Anyone interested in starting Monster Hunter characters from scratch?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

Remember to look for people of the same rank as you when joining a city. There are three tiers of dificulty: low rank, high rank, and G rank. Look for low rank cities and have fun!

What do you mean by "joining a city"?  How does that work and what are the cities for?

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#22 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

What do you mean by "joining a city"?  How does that work and what are the cities for?

I think they meant to say, joining a lobby.

#23 vatto

vatto

Goomba

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

Cities are how you find groups.

For early gamers, you go online and enter one of the "Free" servers. "G-rank" servers are for end game players. This game has a huge replay value after you reach end game. That's why the "G-rank" servers are so full. Everyone spends time there making new end game weapons and armor.

When you pick a server, you'll find the arenas. Those are just to split people in groups of 100. Inside the arenas you can create cities.

Cities can contain 4 players. The 4 players hunt together. You should always try to find cities that match your desires. If you want to farm Rathalos for materials, search for a Rathalos city, for example. That way you'll be always playing with people that share your goals. You can start new cities too if you didn't find any already open that matches your goals.

#24 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

Cities are how you find groups.

For early gamers, you go online and enter one of the "Free" servers. "G-rank" servers are for end game players. This game has a huge replay value after you reach end game. That's why the "G-rank" servers are so full. Everyone spends time there making new end game weapons and armor.

When you pick a server, you'll find the arenas. Those are just to split people in groups of 100. Inside the arenas you can create cities.

Cities can contain 4 players. The 4 players hunt together. You should always try to find cities that match your desires. If you want to farm Rathalos for materials, search for a Rathalos city, for example. That way you'll be always playing with people that share your goals. You can start new cities too if you didn't find any already open that matches your goals.

Are they called cities in your copy of the game? Because what you are referring to are Lobbies.

#25 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:16 PM

Did you ever accept my friend request from like 5 months ago?

Ok.  If you want to go ahead and send me an invite my NNID is sixtyfour_bit

Oh that was you.
I noticed someone called kokori yeahed my did it on miiverse
I never got a friend request. isent you one and it went through straight away though, maybe i just never got a notification

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#26 Lightning_Ninja

Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • NNID:Lightning_Ninja
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:05 PM

For the online mode, you will talk to a cat on the southwest side of the village.  Choose network mode to go into the online multiplayer.  Solo port is just a room that no one else can enter and allows you to take both the AI companions you eventually get with you.  It has all the same quests as the network mode and multi ports.  Multi port is a local multiplayer mode.  A wii U player can make a room that up to 3 3ds players can join.  Unfortunately, two Wii u's cannot play locallysince they can't join local rooms, only online.  So

Once connected, it will ask you to select a world.  Each world has a capacity for 1000 people.  Most people either go to Free A, or if they're looking to hunt G rank monsters, G rank A.  You'll be starting at low rank, so basically go anywhere but the G rank and Expert Worlds.  Not that anyone really uses the expert world.

After selecting a world, it will ask you to select a lobby.  Each lobby can hold 100 people. you can go wherever you like so long as the lobby isn't full.

After that, you'll be given quite a few options:

Create a Room--Make a room and call it whatever you want for whatever you want to do.  You can even password lock it

Enter a Room--enter one of the rooms already made in that lobby.  Make sure you can do whatever their target is before entering.  You can press R to see the name and hunter rank of the room's creator

Search for a room--Enter search criteria to find a room with the same target you want.  You should usually check if there's a non full room doing what you want before making a room yourself

Move to a World--change which world you're in

Move to a Lobby--change which lobby you're in

Friend List--see if your friends are playing MH. If they're are already in a room, you can warp directly to them and send them messages from this menu

Short message--Shows the messages you've received from people during your current playsession

Chatlog--lets you scroll through the chatlog and see what people around you are saying

Exit-- End network mode

At anytime online you can press ZL to open the chat menu to type things into the chatlog.  You also have some preset things called "Shoutouts"  you can edit these to your liking so you don't have to type a favorite phrase every time.

Once you are in a room, you can also activate voice chat and speak with people.  Keep in mind that the sound output from other people will come out of the gamepad by default (this can be changed in your ingame menu) so you need to have the gamepad's sound on to hear them.

The most important thing you need to remember is that whoever creates a room is the room's "Host".  As long as they remain in the room it will remain open.  But if they leave for any reason (turn off their console, log off, get disconnected) everyone else will get booted to their individual solo ports offline.  Most people will give everyone a heads up before closing their room, but some don't.  Try to be courteous about this.  If you know you will be leaving after you get back from a quest, and there's a guy waiting in the room for you to get back to hunt, let him know so he doesn't waste his time.  And also don't lie about how long until you finish the quest.

I once went into a room where there was already two hunters in a quest.  I asked them how long before they got back.  They told me they were almost done, so 5 minutes tops.  I waited for 20 minutes for them to get back, and once they got back, the host closed the room.  I could've gotten two quests done in that time if I had gone somewhere else.  Some people are just plain inconsiderate.

Anyway, I could probably drone on for awhile but that's what you need to know before going online.  Whenever you have questions I'll be happy to answer.

#27 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:50 AM

Thanks for the explanations, Vatto and Lightning_Ninja!

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

#28 Lightning_Ninja

Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • NNID:Lightning_Ninja
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

If we do mix up and I'm playing with beginners, I'll just switch to some of low rank gear I have lying around.  I don't think I can bring myself to start a new character from scratch.

#29 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

Update: just setup my console and am downloading WW: HD.  I'll load up MH3U a bit later if you guys want to play.  

Also an important note: I forgot my other console was PAL and my NNID was linked to a different country, so I had to create a new NNID.  Now it's sixty4bit and my nickname is still Kokirii.  I sent out a few friend requests.  

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

#30 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:35 AM

If we do mix up and I'm playing with beginners, I'll just switch to some of low rank gear I have lying around.  I don't think I can bring myself to start a new character from scratch.

^This

You're going to have a REALLY hard time trying to find people willing to start up a brand new character in Monster Hunter. It's just not worth the time when you can get the exact same result on your current character. These games don't have character 'levels' or skill points or anything like that just tied to the character. It all comes down to weapons and armor. So if you're wanting to play with some people who know what they're doing and can show you the ropes then ask them if they will play with lower ranked armor.

Most veteran players do keep a lot of lower rank armors they made before for various reasons. They also might start using a different weapon if they're with a newer player who wants to get some time in to learn the monsters. I know if it was me, I'd switch to the bow so that I wouldn't be dishing out as much damage. (FYI, I would help in this but I only have the game on my 3DS)

pNgecl.gif

#31 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

yeah after a week I don't know if I have the resources right now to invest in such a hardcore game...I'm not sure what I thought I was getting myself into

Edited by kokirii, 29 September 2013 - 05:06 PM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!