Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:25 PM

I connected a powered HDD of 100gb to the USB port of the WiiU. After the message that the Disc would be formatted for WiiU only, I can transfer files to it.

I tried all small games were no problem. But when sending the larger games from my WiiU HDD to the external I only get error messages. I just can't copy them to the external disc. Also, yesterday I downloaded Lego Marvel (6gb). It placed the game on the external HDD but doesn't play the opening scene. After sending it back to my WiiU HDD it just worked fine.

What could be the problem with the Extrenal HDD? Should I buy another one? Or did I have to format it on my mac before connecting it to my WiiU?

Any help would be welcome 

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#2 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:05 PM

Where did you get the drive? It sounds like you got one of those counterfeit drives that physically only hold 4gb or less.

Edited by grahamf, 24 November 2013 - 11:06 PM.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#3 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:12 PM

No It's an iomega, and worked fine while working on my workstation. 

Could it be that it's not Fat32 formatted? If I remember correctly other kind of formats won't hold any files larger than 4gb. Am thinking about reformatting it.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#4 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

Where did you get the drive? It sounds like you got one of those counterfeit drives that physically only hold 4gb or less.

dansgame.png
fat32 you mean.

That's a strange problem with the no opening scene, ask on miiverse, might have happened other people.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#5 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:22 PM

dansgame.png
fat32 you mean.

That's a strange problem with the no opening scene, ask on miiverse, might have happened other people.

Yes will do. Even stranger, when copying game back to Main HDD it just works fine

#6 DanI

DanI

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:23 PM

Try to reformat the disk on your pc/mac using a low level format utility; also check the surface of the disk - there are many programs for physical checking for bad sectors. Then connect it to the Wii U again and try once more.

Please excuse my poor English...

#7 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:45 PM

Try to reformat the disk on your pc/mac using a low level format utility; also check the surface of the disk - there are many programs for physical checking for bad sectors. Then connect it to the Wii U again and try once more.

Thank you. Will do that now. I'll update soon

#8 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:05 AM

How about Nintendo Costumer Support?

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#9 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

How about Nintendo Costumer Support?

Yeah, i must contact them indeed. I tried exFat and NTFS. Can't copy pikmin3 to ecternal disk without error. MonsterHunter just quits halfway through when redownloading to that disk.

#10 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:09 AM

I hope they can help you solve the issue :)

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#11 Lebon14

Lebon14

Blooper

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • Fandom:
    Golden Sun and Touhou universe

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

No! For god's sake, no! A normal full format is well enough. Doing a low level format will make things worse, it'll reduce the lifetime of the hard drive. Formatting in NTFS then doing a chkdsk is perfectly fine and will help troubleshoot.

WiiU NNID : Lebon14, Friend invites will be ignored. I must know you first.
Rocketman, your rocketman
Fly with me, to the moon, to the stars my heart
Take you higher
♫ - "Rocketman" by Mega NRG Man (Super Eurobeat 217)

#12 TriplePower

TriplePower

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • NNID:TriplePower
  • Fandom:
    Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Kid Icarus

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:59 PM

Does your external drive has its own power outlet or is it powered by the console itself?

Edited by TriplePower, 25 November 2013 - 10:00 PM.

Visit my Youtube Channel to hear my opinion on various Nintendo games!

#13 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:15 PM

Does your external drive has its own power outlet or is it powered by the console itself?

External

#14 Lebon14

Lebon14

Blooper

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • Fandom:
    Golden Sun and Touhou universe

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:14 AM

External

You misunderstood; we know you have an external hard drive. What is the hard drive's electric source? The power outlet or the WiiU's USB port? If it's the WiiU's USB port, it is said that the WiiU's USB ports does not give enough electric power to sustain an hard drive. So, you have to plug it in the power outlet.

Edited by Lebon14, 26 November 2013 - 12:14 AM.

WiiU NNID : Lebon14, Friend invites will be ignored. I must know you first.
Fly with me, to the moon, to the stars my heart
Take you higher
♫ - "Rocketman" by Mega NRG Man (Super Eurobeat 217)

#15 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:27 AM

You misunderstood; we know you have an external hard drive. What is the hard drive's electric source? The power outlet or the WiiU's USB port? If it's the WiiU's USB port, it is said that the WiiU's USB ports does not give enough electric power to sustain an hard drive. So, you have to plug it in the power outlet.

Sorry. It has its own power connection. I used to work with a 32gb memorystick but it was just becoming to small

#16 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:56 AM

No It's an iomega, and worked fine while working on my workstation. 

Could it be that it's not Fat32 formatted? If I remember correctly other kind of formats won't hold any files larger than 4gb. Am thinking about reformatting it.

I'm afraid I'm still suspicious. What tests did you use to verify it worked fine on you workstation? Have any of those tests been more than 4GB with no loss of data?

And this was what i was referring to: http://www.slashgear...500gb-08145144/

And you could try using Disk Management in Windows to make sure all partitions on the drive are deleted and a fresh one is made. I have had problems with weird formatting that looks fine until you try to do something with it.

Edited by grahamf, 26 November 2013 - 01:00 AM.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#17 DanI

DanI

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:25 AM

No! For god's sake, no! A normal full format is well enough. Doing a low level format will make things worse, it'll reduce the lifetime of the hard drive. Formatting in NTFS then doing a chkdsk is perfectly fine and will help troubleshoot.

It won't make things worse... Beside destroying data on disk, it reallocates suspicious sectors. I revived literally tens of hard disks reported as bad and they still work, after years from repairing. Some of them are in NAS systems, under a heavy use, and still work without error.

Anyway, it might be another problem... a problematic USB cable is another thing which appear very often; same as a problematic power source.

Please excuse my poor English...

#18 GCD

GCD

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:32 AM

Have you tried another usb cable just in case the one you are using is faulty.

Edited by GCD, 26 November 2013 - 08:32 AM.

#19 Marcus Noer

Marcus Noer

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

Its because the Wii U cant deliver enought power for and HDD though 1USB port. 

You will need a Y cable and it will work. I had the same problem.

Edited by Marcus Noer, 26 November 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#20 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:10 PM

I'm afraid I'm still suspicious. What tests did you use to verify it worked fine on you workstation? Have any of those tests been more than 4GB with no loss of data?

And this was what i was referring to: http://www.slashgear...500gb-08145144/

And you could try using Disk Management in Windows to make sure all partitions on the drive are deleted and a fresh one is made. I have had problems with weird formatting that looks fine until you try to do something with it.

Hi, Yeah if only I used Windows. No, I'm a mac user and used the disk for video-editing and aftereffects animation. Filesizes many times more than 4gigs. Yesterday I kickstarted an old Windowsmachine I had laying around somewhere and formatted it NTFS. All seems to be working fine, at first Pikmin didn't copy but then it did. Now I redownloaded MonsterHunter but while the download was 100% complete, the installation failed.

I think I'm going to look for a 64 memorystick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!