Photo

Immersion

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Poll: Immersion (9 member(s) have cast votes)

How much immersion do you need to enjoy a game?

1. Maximum Immersion (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. High immersion (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. Decent immersion (4 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

4. Low immersion (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. No immersion (0 votes [0.00%])

6. I hate immersion (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Other. I'll explain in a post (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Lightning_Ninja

Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • NNID:Lightning_Ninja
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

I've been toying around with the idea of making this topic for a long time.  I just never had the initiative or time to do it.  I feel like now is a good time, because it feels like I've been hearing the word "Immersion" get thrown around a lot.  People expressing how they didn't like a game because they didn't feel immersed in it.  Something took them out of it and it apparently just ruined it for them.  I'd like to know what all of you think about immersion.

The second part of this topic is: 

What does immersion mean to you?  What do you think makes a game immersive?  Stuff like that.  Just discuss it in a post.  Remember that this is a DISCUSSION and not a DEBATE, although things have been pretty good around here lately.

I personally won't vote or give my two cents until a number of people have, as I don't wish to skew the results and want to hear what other people think first.

#2 Chaos

Chaos

Red Train Hero

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • NNID:ChaoticPikachu
  • Fandom:
    Anime

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

I like max immersion. Which is why I try to collect as many horror games as I can. They give me that feeling more than any other genre.

#3 DanI

DanI

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:40 AM

Of course maximum immersion would be great; very few games manage to do it... but a decent immersion is enough to enjoy a game :)

Please excuse my poor English...

#4 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:48 PM

depends on the game. only time it matters, ever, is when the game is very strongly story based or needs to convey a spacific feeling. beyond that immersion means very little to me. most games need little to no immersion at all to be fun, most of the games that decide to design themself around that kind of thing end up sucking because of it. 

few that need it are things like the LoU for the story. also if you going for imersion you need alaising and good framerate, those can easily kill immersion. which is probly y alot of morons care way to much about the framerate now that i think about it.

Edited by tboss, 29 December 2013 - 11:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!