• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 2pies

2pies

Goomba

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:25 AM

Hi. Just bought a Wii U and am currently playing a couple of games I bought with it.

However, I'm not quite clear how to buy older games. I see from the E-Shop, you can buy some NES & SNES games, but I'm not really interested in them. I'm much more interested in N64 games, as that was the first console I ever owned. It seems that I can get a couple of them from the Wii shop, by switching to Wii mode. Is that what I should do, or am I missing something. I'd much prefer to be able to launch N64 (and GameCube) games from the Wii U menu, rather than having to switch to Wii mode.

Also, I assume that I can buy used Wii games and simply play them from disc in Wii mode. Can I play against other people who have the original Wii?

Thanks. A bit confusing TBH. 

#2 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:34 AM

As it is right now, you have to go through Wii mode to buy N64 games because they're not available on the eShop as of yet. When they are available on the eShop, you'll have to pay a small fee ($1 to $1.50) to upgrade them from Wii to Wii U, which will also activate Miiverse access among other things for the title. GameCube discs won't work on your Wii U.

Used Wii games can work on your Wii U through Wii mode, and you should be able to play against other Wii owners in the few games that support online functions.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#3 Merky Water

Merky Water

Motion Shooter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Contra, Mario Kart

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:35 AM

The N64 and Gamecube games are supposedly on the horizon for the eShop.  Currently, yes, you can buy them from the Wii shop and play them there without gamepad support.  When the title's released on the eShop, you'll have the option to upgrade if you so choose for $1 any title bought at the Wii Shop which will grant you the off-tv play of the gamepad and perhaps a few other features depending the title.

As to your Wii disc assumptions, they are correct.  Simply pop them in and go to Wii mode.  You can play against anyone with a Wii or Wii U on those titles.

Enjoy your new purchase!

and props to King of all Cosmos by beating me to the post :D

Edited by Merky Water, 02 January 2014 - 08:40 AM.

Merky-Banner_zpsfd81fed3.png

#4 2pies

2pies

Goomba

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

Thanks for the rapid responses. 

If its on the road map, I think I'll wait. I'm happy playing new games and will wait for the old stuff.

#5 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

It's on the road map, but we really don't know when they plan to implement it.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#6 Ledo Jaeger

Ledo Jaeger

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • NNID:Aarony

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

The day when N64 games and the like hit the shop is going to be a marvelous day indeed. How I yearn to off-TV play DK64. <3

In other words, I love you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!