Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:43 AM

An anonymous UK retailer has said that Mario Kart 8 and a price cut are needed for the Wii U to pick up sales.

“A sub-£200 machine will help, and Mario Kart is desperately needed to reach the fans,” said the games boss of one of the UK’s biggest retailers. “We also need something revolutionary that makes use of the second screen and has mainstream appeal, which is easier said than done.

There is only one real last chance for Wii U and it is Mario Kart 8. It could still be the game that sparks interest in Wii U, but it would need to be combined with a more mass market retail price.”

http://mynintendonew...ance-for-wii-u/

I don't know about the price cut, loads of UK retailers have already dropped the price and there still haven't been great sales.

Mario Kart does need to move some consoles although we do have Smash bros.

Do you think Mario Kart is Wii U's "last chance"?

#2 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

Wii U's last chance for what exactly?

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#3 Aplg8

Aplg8

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:54 AM

I think the ship has sailed for Nintendo. The bulk of people clamoring about this years line up saving the system already have a wii u which won't move the install base much. Maybe these games will give marginal growth in 2014 and if that happens I see any growth as a win for Nintendo. IMHO the only thing that would cause significant growth would be a massive price drop and that's not financially viable. There is still a market for Nintendo, it's just not to the level of 6 or 7 years ago.

#4 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:55 AM

Wii U's last chance for what exactly?

To not become irrelevant? I dunno.

#5 Mushlikeahusky1

Mushlikeahusky1

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi and luigis mansion.

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:24 AM

Mario Kart being the Wii U's savior???? That makes no sense. The only thing to save wii u will be an amazing E3 with Metroid and Zelda.

#6 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

The only company who I can see say something about this is GAME, I highly doute Asda or Tesco would care about the Wii U enough to tell people about it :s.

I wouldn't say it's their last chance or that it needs to utilize the gamepad, I just think it needs games, Mario Kart + Smash will help, But honestly, Who knows what could happen.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#7 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:53 AM

They're better off just dropping UK support. It's obvious gamers over there don't want Nintendo's stuff so just forget the country and use the resources for better ventures.

pNgecl.gif

#8 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:
    BF4-pc,GTA-360,Splinter cell-pc

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:11 AM

More interested to hear what is said on the 30th tbh.
Can't see WiiU being a long life system but the games are good and I'm a happy to be a endangered species (UK WiiU owner).
Posted Image

Add me on Miiverse !! I'm from England but the world is a lot smaller online!

#9 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

They're better off just dropping UK support. It's obvious gamers over there don't want Nintendo's stuff so just forget the country and use the resources for better ventures.

Not sure if you're kidding or not...

#10 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

Not sure if you're kidding or not...

Neither am I.

pNgecl.gif

#11 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:42 AM

blah blah blah more doom. It's boring now

#12 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

To not become irrelevant? I dunno.

They're probably saying it's the Wii U's last chance for getting decent sales for the rest of it's lifespan, and getting somewhat decent 3rd party support too I guess.

If they're talking about that, I agree completely. Mario Kart and Smash are the only things that could possibly be mass system sellers at this point. If they can't do it, chances are nothing else will (possibly Zelda though). 

#13 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

Pretty much. I honestly reckon the majority of people who want titles like Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. and Zelda already have a Wii U. Moreover, these are expected titles.

When Nintendo starts making titles no one expects of them, that's what's gonna change the field for Nintendo.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#14 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

That's not true at all. The 3DS is selling well in the UK.

Also I think you'll find the Wii U is struggling everywhere, not just in the UK.

As for Mario Kart being the Wii U's last chance to turn its fortunes around? Yes and No.

Yes because that could signal that consumers despite having a fondness of Nintendo first party games may still decide that the Wii U is not worth the investment or it could signal that gamers are tired of Nintendo releasing the same old franchises, despite the fact Nintendo's franchises are released once per console generation which is starkly different from annualised and multiple releases from mulitple developers.

No because who is to say that Super Smash Bros, a Metroid game, a new Star Fox game or Zelda U won't drastically boost sales of the Wii U in the final third of its lifecycle?

I do think retailer faith in the Wii U is very low (due to a lack of sales) and I'd imagine there are a lot of retailers that are sitting on Wii U stock that is not shifting and it's costing them money, so they're hoping that Mario Kart 8 will help them shift the stock that is sitting around in their stock rooms.

Pretty much. I honestly reckon the majority of people who want titles like Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. and Zelda already have a Wii U. Moreover, these are expected titles.

When Nintendo starts making titles no one expects of them, that's what's gonna change the field for Nintendo.

Not to mention making hardware that is easy for third parties to develop for and really challenges the hardware of its competitors.

Edited by SailtheSeas, 23 January 2014 - 03:40 PM.

#15 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

Not to mention making hardware that is easy for third parties to develop for and really challenges the hardware of its competitors.

Don't get off topic. That was a statement about the Wii U, not future hardware. They aren't going to magically create a Wii U anytime soon that is upped in specs just so third parties might get enticed. They aren't even gonna do it for their own titles, as they'll just put on them on the backburner til the next actual iteration of hardware like Pikmin 3.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#16 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

They're probably saying it's the Wii U's last chance for getting decent sales for the rest of it's lifespan, and getting somewhat decent 3rd party support too I guess.

If they're talking about that, I agree completely. Mario Kart and Smash are the only things that could possibly be mass system sellers at this point. If they can't do it, chances are nothing else will (possibly Zelda though).

Ok let's stop this. The Wii U isn't going to get decent 3rd party games for the rest of it life. That's just what's going to happen. There will be a game here and there but it will miss out on a BUNCH of AAA 3rd party titles if that isn't evident by now. MK8 will be a good title I hope it can sell well and move some units but I just don't see it happeneing. Nintendo seems to be on standby when it comes to aggresivley marketing the Wii U and no matter how great the 2014 games are (mk8, X, smash4, bayo 2, etc) if the Wii U isn't marketed and Nintendo are not being aggreive in their approach sales will continue to fall behind the other two next gen consoles.

#17 chainmychomp

chainmychomp

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • Fandom:
    Advance Wars, Metroid, RPGs, etc.

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:27 AM

I don't think even this can truly reverse Nintendo's fortunes, considering that Mario Kart's overdone now... the price drop may help, but over-utilization of ones properties doesn't exactly lead to incentive for non-hardcore fans to buy the game, as previous versions of the game exists.  Although it could be good online fun just the same on a console with few large online communities...

#18 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

I read comments on articles online and there's a ton of people who seem to be waiting for Smash, Mario, zelda etc.  With 40 million 3ds sales, there's a decent chance that a lot of those people are Nintendo fans (pretty sure Mario Kart 7 sold 9 million, so that's at least 3m-4m more)

#19 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

I read comments on articles online and there's a ton of people who seem to be waiting for Smash, Mario, zelda etc.  With 40 million 3ds sales, there's a decent chance that a lot of those people are Nintendo fans (pretty sure Mario Kart 7 sold 9 million, so that's at least 3m-4m more)

You're assuming that these people have hundreds of dollars/pounds/euros lying around to invest in yet another gaming device.

#20 Mahmoodinho98

Mahmoodinho98

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • Fandom:
    Halo,Nintendo,Arsenal and Merrikh

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

people, who knows what can save the Wii U.

it might be a  huge AAA game  or a 1$ indie game.

all we can do is wait and see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!