• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

We use SD cards.
All games do that, doesn't stop anyone.

If the games are small in size. What happens when they occupy GBs and more GBs? Most people won`t bother with those games because they don`t want to carry SD cards with them.
That`s the advantage of having games on discs or having games tailored (in size) to those specific platforms.

When smartphones/tablets come packing big HDDs, then it will make sense in having such big games available for download.

#22 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:33 PM

http://www.eetimes.c...?doc_id=1320199

If this link is anyway accurate then both companies are making a profit from each console sold.

Ah. I was referring to these numbers myself: http://www.joystiq.c...ng-cost-of-471/

they leave $28 for Microsoft and $18 for Sony after assembly (but don't mention packaging, shipping)

If the games are small in size. What happens when they occupy GBs and more GBs? Most people won`t bother with those games because they don`t want to carry SD cards with them.
That`s the advantage of having games on discs or having games tailored (in size) to those specific platforms.

When smartphones/tablets come packing big HDDs, then it will make sense in having such big games available for download.

The most popular games for smartphones are games like Angry Birds which are about 50MB. Need For Speed weighs 2GB, and only has 1/100th the download volume. Honestly? I really don't see really big games becoming popular, especially due to today's pathetic battery life and tiered data.

And you will never see a spinning hard drive in a mobile phone. they're just too fragile for the abuse that the phone will take. Show me a phone, ANY phone that ever was made that contains a spinning hard drive. Even the PSP Go was built on flash memory

phones will most likely continue to use flash memory, but in larger capacities as prices go down.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#23 chunter

chunter

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:33 PM

What?
How does Halo get away with being $60 then?

because halo is a badass game as well.

#24 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

If this link is anyway accurate then both companies are making a profit from each console sold.

Ah. I was referring to these numbers myself: http://www.joystiq.c...ng-cost-of-471/

they leave $28 for Microsoft and $18 for Sony after assembly (but don't mention packaging, shipping)

The most popular games for smartphones are games like Angry Birds which are about 50MB. Need For Speed weighs 2GB, and only has 1/100th the download volume. Honestly? I really don't see really big games becoming popular, especially due to today's pathetic battery life and tiered data.

And you will never see a spinning hard drive in a mobile phone. they're just too fragile for the abuse that the phone will take. Show me a phone, ANY phone that ever was made that contains a spinning hard drive. Even the PSP Go was built on flash memory

phones will most likely continue to use flash memory, but in larger capacities as prices go down.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#25 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

https://play.google.....ANMP.GloftN3HM 2GB
You don't own an android phone?
Also, you do realise Nintendo's games are usually in the MB range?

because halo is a badass game as well.

:|

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#26 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

I too don`t think big games will be norm because mobile devices such as smartphones can`t support the majority of games being big in size.
The smaller the size, the more "user friendly" they are!

https://play.google.....ANMP.GloftN3HM 2GB
You don't own an android phone?
Also, you do realise Nintendo's games are usually in the MB range?

:|

Maybe VC and Eshop games. But retail games can be really big. And analysts and other people expect every Nintendo game to go mobile - which poses that space problem.

#27 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

I too don`t think big games will be norm because mobile devices such as smartphones can`t support the majority of games being big in size.
The smaller the size, the more "user friendly" they are!

Maybe VC and Eshop games. But retail games can be really big. And analysts and other people expect every Nintendo game to go mobile - which poses that space problem.

Nintendo's biggest game they've ever made is DK Tropical Freeze at only 11 gig. Super Mario 3D World was 1.6 gig.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#28 chunter

chunter

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

As soon as Nintendo starts releasing their games on other platforms is the day that Nintendo becomes just another SEGA, an irrelevant relic in an ever-changing industry.

Nintendo needs to keep what makes them special and work on ironing out their flaws. They need a CEO who knows what makes Nintendo special, but also knows how to keep Nintendo modern, contemporary, relevant and more importantly competitive.

As great as Mario, Zelda, Yoshi and Kirby are, Nintendo need fresh faces, new IP's. What makes Sony an attractive company for gamers is that they are committed to constantly making new first party games for their consoles.

Give it a few years and smartphones and tablets will have the same specifications as most standard laptops.

the new 192 core nvidia will be available to cellphones....all cellphones and small devices will then have alot of graphics power.

#29 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

I like Iwata, but I don't think he's the right man for the job. 

I'm not a huge fan either but he is the man responsible for funding Xenoblade on Wii. Without that we wouldn't have X coming either.

#30 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

Nintendo's biggest game they've ever made is DK Tropical Freeze at only 11 gig. Super Mario 3D World was 1.6 gig.

Other games are also big.

Pikmin 3: 3.8GB

Wind Waker: 1.79GB
Lego City: 19GB

Nintendoland: 2.79GB

Wii Party U: 5.4

This kind of file size isn`t suited for mobile devices. That would probably mean that Nintendo would have to make smaller games.

#31 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:49 PM

most of that profit goes to the retailer, they are still losing money per system sold, though not near as much as the 360 or PS3 lost. wiiU was in the same boat for cost profit, though gamepad hurt what they can put in effiecintly, its also unknown about hte quality of the parts used in the consuls atm.

#32 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

I'm not a huge fan either but he is the man responsible for funding Xenoblade on Wii. Without that we wouldn't have X coming either.

I hear you, but that doesn't mean he is the right man to lead Nintendo forward.

It's been nothing but a series of blunders and 'please understand' from him for a while now and it's wearing a bit thin. I like him, I like the way he genuinely cares about Nintendo and the way he cares about the products being sold, but he needs to seriously sit down and figure out how best to move Nintendo forwards because at the moment Nintendo is looking like a headless chicken.

#33 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

It's been nothing but a series of blunders and 'please understand' from him for a while now and it's wearing a bit thin.

How long is this "a while now"?

#34 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

he needs to seriously sit down and figure out how best to move Nintendo forwards

In other words what we've been saying the whole time.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#35 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

Thing is you all keep on sounding like you expect immediate results.

#36 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:48 AM

How long is this "a while now"?

Since the launch of the 3DS. 

In other words what we've been saying the whole time.

But will he though or will it be more "please understand" from him?

#37 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

Since the launch of the 3DS. 

But will he though or will it be more "please understand" from him?

From what he's said he already has. Like grahamf said, you can't expect instant results.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#38 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

I agree with the topic title, if they ever do that, its like destroying their platforms. If they make a mario for smartphones, why people shall by 3ds or wii U for it?  They will even pirate it much easier.

Edited by Plutonas, 29 January 2014 - 05:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!