#1 nintendofreak247

nintendofreak247

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Fandom:
    Super Mario Bros.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:30 AM

I've been observing Nintendo's techniques when it comes to marketing the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U lately, and in the wake of Nintendo's failure to meet expected Wii U sales, ideas have been dawning upon me as to how Nintendo can revamp their marketing strategies and hopefully make the Wii U a success.

Recently, Nintendo's Wii U marketing has been a tad casual. It focuses on families (mainly with younger children). In practice, there isn't necessarily anything wrong with this. However, Nintendo has been failing to tap into the hearts of the veteran gamer. The gamer that's been playing their consoles since back in the 80's and 90's. Most gamers have a warm spot in their hearts for Nintendo, since they've been a part of our lives for so long.

What I'm proposing here is that Nintendo has a hidden ace-in-the-hole that they haven't decided to tap into for some reason: the nostalgia factor. The inducing of warm, fuzzy feelings in one's heart from remembering good times in the past. Good times playing Super Mario Bros. 3 on NES or Ocarina of Time on N64. These are cherished memories for many people.

Allow me to cite this video as an example of the nostalgia factor executed masterfully:

Not only does this fan-made commercial remind you of past games (and past memories), it shows you Super Mario Galaxy, and you feel like you're being reintroduced to an old friend after several years. And you want to get to know them all over again. Because that's what the nostalgia factor does. It tugs at your heartstrings and makes you yearn for what once made you happy.

Now then, onto how the nostalgia factor can potentially aid Nintendo in this dismal time. The Wii U is a fantastic console. It's set up to have some fantastic games throughout the course of the year. The only problem is that consumers, for some reason, seem to see the Wii U as something that's detached from it's older console brothers. The key in luring the gamer demographic for the Wii U is reintroducing them to the Wii U with a heavy dose of the nostalgia factor.

Film commercials showing children playing older Nintendo consoles like the NES in a 1980's setting, then maybe segue into newer consoles as time goes on, showing the children getting older along with the consoles, and finally stopping at the Wii U. Start with something like the original Legend of Zelda for NES when the commercial starts, and go through the games such as Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker & Twilight Princess until it stops at the new Zelda for Wii U.

Another possible way to do this is by reintroducing the businessmen from the original commercials for the Wii. Here's an example of them in action:

These commercials were done extremely well, displaying what you could do with the Wii, and showing gameplay at the same time. Not only that, but they were very popular back when they were shown, and got people talking about the Wii. What I think is that they could bring these two back, driving in the same little car with the same music. They get out of their car, go up to somebody's door, say:

"Wii would like to play...with U."

They then hold up the Wii U GamePad, and showcase something like Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. The concept is genius in my opinion, and I think something like that would really make some buzz around the Wii U.

What do you guys think?

Edited by nintendofreak247, 29 January 2014 - 08:34 AM.

Posted Image

#2 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

Nothing to save, it's fine. outsold p4 by around 1 million.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#3 Captain Marvelous

Captain Marvelous

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

God dammit we really need a new trilogy of Metroid for the Wii u  :)

And about of wii u comercial i like to say that im tired to see wii u comercials with kids....

Those wii comercials are awesome and that Mario damn really powerfull.

"Did you know that we're traveling this galaxy because we have pride? We will always fight it it's to protect that pride. Even if it means being called a pirate. Even if... the whole galaxy were our enemy!" - Captain Marvelous

#4 Slim Shady

Slim Shady

Pls stand up

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Fandom:
    Earthbound

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

Wii would like to play with U...weird. Nah just give new games.

So I get off stage right and drop the mic

Walk up to these hot chicks and im all like

"Sup ladies, my names Slim Shady.

I'm the lead singer in D12 baby"

#5 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

Nintendo need to hurry up and release new Starfox, Metroid and Fzero games on the Wii U.

This is what a majority of gamers want, not a 2D Mario game, a linear 3D Mario game or Donkey Kong. They want Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros, X, Fire Emblem and the three games I've just mentioned.

Also what I want more than anything else is a Kirby Yarn 2 and Yarn Yoshi as well.

The only way Nintendo can salvage something from the Wii U is through releasing its first party games.

#6 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

Nintendo already profit from Nostalgia. In fact, nostalgia is a big part of some of their games.

For example, the New Super Mario Bros. series repeats a lot of the music, enemies, and gameplay elements from the original Mario Bros. series in order to give players a feeling of nostalgia. Donkey Kong Country Returns/Tropical Freeze are the same, and even Zelda with its signature music score and sounds (such asthe noise when you discover something new or open a chest).

Obviously these games are all still entertaining without the nostalgia factor but it is still something which Nintendo does well to attract people who played their classic games. 

Edited by Hunter, 29 January 2014 - 09:34 AM.

#7 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

The first video is a good idea to showcase the next Mario, DK or Zelda.

Nostalgia is a very powerfull weapon that for some reason Nintendo isn`t even using. Where`s the VC line-up? Why can`t we have a NES, SNES, N64, GC themed Wii Us? Why isn`t Nintendo offering a VC game with a 3rd party game months before it`s even available to purchase on the eshop?

#8 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

But i got a next-gen console to play next-gen games, i don't want to play twenty year old games, i played them twenty years ago, if people want old cheap Nintendo games then get a Wii & use the VC on that, Nintendo shouldn't be wasting their time & money on porting Wii VC games to the WiiU VC.

#9 SteventheSlayer

SteventheSlayer

Blooper

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Fandom:
    Old-School Nintendo Fan

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

I love that first one. The business men though, eh, never cared for them.

I don't even...

#10 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

Uh guys, I think what is meant by nostalgia is in marketing terms, not in terms of games.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#11 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

Uh guys, I think what is meant by nostalgia is in marketing terms, not in terms of games.

Nintendo need to get rid of the whole family sitting around a couch playing games stuff, those advertisements are as lame as hell.

#12 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

from a time when actually nintendo new what the word marketing met.

#13 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

But i got a next-gen console to play next-gen games, i don't want to play twenty year old games, i played them twenty years ago, if people want old cheap Nintendo games then get a Wii & use the VC on that, Nintendo shouldn't be wasting their time & money on porting Wii VC games to the WiiU VC.

Like in the first trailer you would still show the new games as well obviously. OP isn't suggesting they show a bunch of twenty year old games and then saying buy Wii U. That would be stupid for obvious reasons.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#14 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

More of this please. Less of DERP UPGRADE COUCHES IKEA

Edited by Ryudo, 29 January 2014 - 08:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!