Photo

Anyone play smash bros competitively or plan to with 4?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 AdmiralClassy

AdmiralClassy

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • NNID:AdmiralClassy
  • Fandom:
    Dragon ball Z, Nintendo, One Piece

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:57 AM

I never really thought about it but after watching the smash bros documentary it looks interesting,

I probably won't start actually trying to learn some serious techniques as that would take too much time and theres probably no one in my local area who would play competitively  but I am going to dust off my wii haha.

Also got me more excited for playing smash 4 online.

Shing Shong For Smash 4!

Honk For Ponk!

NNid AdmiralClassy
Psn AdmiralClassy

Steam AdmiralClassy

#2 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:36 AM

I don't really have any plans to play Smash Bros. competitively, I find the scene annoyingly self-righteous.

Bring the noise.

#3 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

You mean getting butthurt about someone using items?

I'm in. chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#4 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

Nah. I'm not exactly the competitive type. The most online multiplayering I do is with friends (kinda rare since I'm actually kinda shy) or for PS3 trophies. :T

Will definitely get a lot of mileage out of local multiplayer/trophy unlocking in the games though. Maybe Nintendo will do another Club Nintendo thing where you buy both the 3DS and Wii U versions of the game and you get $20-30 eShop credit. :T

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#5 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:15 AM

Nah. I'm not exactly the competitive type. The most online multiplayering I do is with friends (kinda rare since I'm actually kinda shy) or for PS3 trophies. :T

Will definitely get a lot of mileage out of local multiplayer/trophy unlocking in the games though. Maybe Nintendo will do another Club Nintendo thing where you buy both the 3DS and Wii U versions of the game and you get $20-30 eShop credit. :T

Another thing where you get $20-30 eShop credit? Never had anything like that in the UK (other than getting a fourth 3DS game for free when buying three).

Bring the noise.

#6 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:20 PM

Another thing where you get $20-30 eShop credit? Never had anything like that in the UK (other than getting a fourth 3DS game for free when buying three).

Awhile back around the release of SMT4 in the US, Club Nintendo held a promotion for about a month where if you registered both FE:A and SMT4 on the website, you'd get a free $30 eShop credit for either the 3DS or Wii U.

I'm thinking they need to do that again with Smash Bros 4. Because if there wasn't, I'd probably just wind up getting the Wii U version. :P

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#7 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:56 PM

Heck yeah I'm gonna play it competitively. Played brawl pretty competitively, and don't think I could ever go back to consistently playing it party game style

And yay, someone else who watched the smash documentary!

Before I watched that, i knew melee was more competitive but I wasn't like all that into it. Didn't think it was THAT much faster, and wouldn't have been all that interested in having things like wavedash make a comeback.

After the documentary, holy crap I want ssb4 to be as competitive as melee

also, that Isai episode

the feels, man...

it's really a shame more people around here don't play competitive smash.It makes people say lots of stupid stuff about it (sorry but it's true, I've had to correct misguided statements quite a few times).

Also I've never understood why people think the community is "self righteous" and stuff. Melee players can be dicks to brawl players but... yeah that about all the "self righteousness" I've seen.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#8 AdmiralClassy

AdmiralClassy

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:12 PM

Heck yeah I'm gonna play it competitively. Played brawl pretty competitively, and don't think I could ever go back to consistently playing it party game style

And yay, someone else who watched the smash documentary!

Before I watched that, i knew melee was more competitive but I wasn't like all that into it. Didn't think it was THAT much faster, and wouldn't have been all that interested in having things like wavedash make a comeback.

After the documentary, holy crap I want ssb4 to be as competitive as melee

also, that Isai episode

the feels, man...

it's really a shame more people around here don't play competitive smash.It makes people say lots of stupid stuff about it (sorry but it's true, I've had to correct misguided statements quite a few times).

Also I've never understood why people think the community is "self righteous" and stuff. Melee players can be dicks to brawl players but... yeah that about all the "self righteousness" I've seen.

I've got a lot to learn, trying to play marth and just got ok at wavedashing, probably try lcanceling and things like that next.

It's making me want melee to be online as well haha, just so I can get some real practise in.

Shing Shong For Smash 4!

Honk For Ponk!

NNid AdmiralClassy
Psn AdmiralClassy

Steam AdmiralClassy

#9 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

I've got a lot to learn, trying to play marth and just got ok at wavedashing, probably try lcanceling and things like that next.

It's making me want melee to be online as well haha, just so I can get some real practise in.

I lost my melee disk and my Wii is acting funny so I can't play project M either :(

It's a shame but I'll probably just have to wait for SSB4 comes out and then practice all day erry day

but yeah, I never used to practice that much cause I only could really play with my brother, but now that there's online I have thousands of peope to to assert my superiority with. That'll definitely make me practice.

Edited by WydrA, 01 February 2014 - 02:19 PM.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#10 AdmiralClassy

AdmiralClassy

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

I lost my melee disk and my Wii is acting funny so I can't play project M either :(

It's a shame but I'll probably just have to wait for SSB4 comes out and then practice all day erry day

but yeah, I never used to practice that much cause I only could really play with my brother, but now that there's online I have thousands of peope to to assert my superiority with. That'll definitely make me practice.

Well when smash 4 comes out we'll have to play sometime :D

I'm not able to play project m either, I think it can only be used on US and jpn copies of brawl which I don't have :(

Shing Shong For Smash 4!

Honk For Ponk!

NNid AdmiralClassy
Psn AdmiralClassy

Steam AdmiralClassy

#11 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:39 PM

Well when smash 4 comes out we'll have to play sometime :D

I'm not able to play project m either, I think it can only be used on US and jpn copies of brawl which I don't have :(

Yeah for sure, I'm always looking for more people to trounce :P

I would think there would be a european version since there's a pretty big european smash scene :/ oh well I guess...

I don't really have any plans to play Smash Bros. competitively, I find the scene annoyingly self-righteous.

You should watch the Smash bros documentary, it might change your mind about the community.

Edited by WydrA, 01 February 2014 - 02:40 PM.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#12 Slim Shady

Slim Shady

Pls stand up

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Fandom:
    Earthbound

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

Nah.

So I get off stage right and drop the mic

Walk up to these hot chicks and im all like

"Sup ladies, my names Slim Shady.

I'm the lead singer in D12 baby"

#13 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

Being somewhat of a fighting game enthusiast i can't wait to play it, put a ton of time into Brawl and I found a very deep fighting game that is different every match.

#14 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:03 PM

Being somewhat of a fighting game enthusiast i can't wait to play it, put a ton of time into Brawl and I found a very deep fighting game that is different every match.

that's the thing I love about smash, and it's why I hate street fighter. Smash is complete freedom. You can make up combos right there on the spot and they'll work well, which makes the mind games out of this world. Dead or Alive was kind of like this in that you could create combos on the spot but you still had to create the combos out of strings the devs created. That's why I liked the series, but not as much as smash.

Street fighter is almost the exact opposite. It's just so linar. The devs make it so they made certain combos work because they wanted to them to work, and if you try to make up a combo and it seems like it should work, sometimes it just doesn't because the devs don't want that. It's stupid and I don't like it :/

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#15 AdmiralClassy

AdmiralClassy

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

Yeah for sure, I'm always looking for more people to trounce :P

I would think there would be a european version since there's a pretty big european smash scene :/ oh well I guess...

You'd probably trounce me now I'm pretty rusty and since I've never really used any of the techniques before it's pretty difficult.

By the time smash 4 is out I should be able to give you a run for your money haha :D 

Shing Shong For Smash 4!

Honk For Ponk!

NNid AdmiralClassy
Psn AdmiralClassy

Steam AdmiralClassy

#16 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:11 PM

for some reason im pretty good at smash bros. I dont really like or play fighting games that much and normally suck at them when i do.

But on smash bros im pretty good and i plan on buying it. As far as playing competitively, i probably wont.

Ill probably play it online and see how that goes.

youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#17 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

You'd probably trounce me now I'm pretty rusty and since I've never really used any of the techniques before it's pretty difficult.

By the time smash 4 is out I should be able to give you a run for your money haha :D

There are a lot of techniques I can't do as well :/

But oh well, theer's always time to learn.

And I hope you can. the more equally matched you are, the more fun smash is.

for some reason im pretty good at smash bros. I dont really like or play fighting games that much and normally suck at them when i do.

But on smash bros im pretty good and i plan on buying it. As far as playing competitively, i probably wont.

Ill probably play it online and see how that goes.

No offence, and I'm not being snobbish when I say this (just honest).

If you don't play competitvely, you're not as good as you think. I've hear a LOT of people claim to be "really good" at smash, and who win against all their friends every time. But all those people always lose to even the most mediocre player.

Just saying :P

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#18 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

There are a lot of techniques I can't do as well :/

But oh well, theer's always time to learn.

And I hope you can. the more equally matched you are, the more fun smash is.

No offence, and I'm not being snobbish when I say this (just honest).

If you don't play competitvely, you're not as good as you think. I've hear a LOT of people claim to be "really good" at smash, and who win against all their friends every time. But all those people always lose to even the most mediocre player.

Just saying :P

Lol none taking.

But really I played before and do pretty good. I'm not saying I'm the best or anything like that. But I don't loose a lot when I play others.

I'll see how things go when smash bros comes out for wii u.

youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#19 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:40 PM

PWN hasn't posted yet??

Amaze

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#20 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

We're having a tournament where Meta Knight will be banned when it comes out.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!