• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

I think sony was heading in that direction with the PS3 anyway. And Live isn't free. That's a step backwards IMO.

Live isn't free, true. But PSN isn't free anymore on PS4. And PS3 was after Live. Xbox has had Live before the 360/PS3 generation.

Was the 360 a successful product for Microsoft? In terms of unit sales, yes, it was, but did the 360 make Microsoft an overall net profit? No, the 360 was an abject failure, Microsoft lost billions from the 360. Therefore it is in my opinion that the 360 was an abject failure, in fact the only successful console out of the last generation consoles was the Wii which netted Nintendo a massive net profit due to its cheap hardware, it's price point, it's software and the popularity of the product.

I actually think Microsoft investors are right to want to see the back of Zune, Bing, the Xbox and Surface. If these business ventures are losing Microsoft money then Microsoft should seek to sell these unprofitable ventures.

Also the XB1 is doing well and if it nets Microsoft an overall net profit, then I think Microsoft will keep the Xbox Division, if it doesn't then I think there will be pressure on Nadella to sell off the division.

It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft were forced to asset strip the Xbox division and sell off the individual parts to other companies. I doubt many companies would be prepared or would be able to afford the entire division, it will cost a company billions and as you say if it's an unprofitable division would many companies really want to take a risk with it?

That said all the moves Microsoft are making at the moment suggest to me that they see themselves a part of the games industry for the long-term. They've just bought Gears of War and they are planning to go into the PC gaming market from what I've read.

Neither has Sony and yet Sony has been hailed as this great games company. All Sony and Microsoft have done along with companies like Electronic Arts is make the games industry all about treating the consumer as a cash cow. At least with Nintendo you get a full game for your money, you don't get half a game with the rest sold to you via a season pass. Bugs and glitches are kept to a minimum with Pokemon X and Y being the only Nintendo game in recent time that I recall having a glitch and that glitch never once affected me and apparently it was fixed within a week or two.

This is why the industry needs Nintendo because they're the only company that really cares about creating great products and cares about their customers not to rip them off with DLC, microtransactions and broken games.

Sony were forced in that direction by Sega with the Dreamcast and Microsoft's introduction to the console industry. I believe the Dreamcast was the first console with an Ethernet port on their console.

Show me where Microsoft lost billions on the Xbox 360. I know they lost, at the start, money on the console because the parts where expensive. But now, that isn't true. Then you consider the massive sales of Halo 3, Halo 4, and Xbox Live. And come on, when Sony provided PSN free, and MS Charged for Xbox Live, are you saying they didn't make money on that? Then, with every game sold, they make about 7 dollars per game sold. http://www.businessi...-day-one-2011-4 here is proof that Microsoft is now making billions of dollars per quarter of the year.

So, you can say the Xbox lost them billions, but they also made billions. Plus, the Xbox branding is bigger then the Windows brand. And with the Xbox, Microsoft is finally obtaining its goal of being the center of everyone home. Which is a pretty big dream Bill Gates had.

Plus, I'm not even sure the Xbox One is loosing Microsoft money per unit sold. In fact, according to my research, MS is making about $20 per X1 sold. http://www.tntgamer....e-cost-to-make/

So, once again, say all you want Microsoft is loosing billions on Xbox. But, that's just no longer true.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#22 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

Stick a fork in it.

download (1).jpg

#23 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:15 AM

I'm talking more long term.....  How much can they improve Office?  I'm going to guess that ten years from now, they won't be able to charge a premium and that their domination of the office productivity software will erode as google, apple start offering cheaper alternatives that will eventually end up being just as good.

None of that is why Businesses use MS Office.
They use it because of the name, the courses they've done for it, and it's robustness.
Office won't be made obsolete by another product unless Microsoft starts doing crazy things with it.
Which they won't.

Also, they're moving toward a subscriptions model, which will always be up to date and always have a monthly or annual charge.
It's an appealing model to most who want to do office tasks.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#24 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

Apple can improve its productivity suite with a fraction of the interest it makes on the stock shares that it owns.  And Google isn't exactly short on cash either.....  I'm not saying that MSFT Office is doomed or that it won't be profitable for a long time, just that I think that they realize that they can't depend on its OS or Office forever.  

None of that is why Businesses use MS Office.
They use it because of the name, the courses they've done for it, and it's robustness.
Office won't be made obsolete by another product unless Microsoft starts doing crazy things with it.
Which they won't.

Also, they're moving toward a subscriptions model, which will always be up to date and always have a monthly or annual charge.
It's an appealing model to most who want to do office tasks.

#25 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:13 PM

Apple can improve its productivity suite with a fraction of the interest it makes on the stock shares that it owns.  And Google isn't exactly short on cash either.....  I'm not saying that MSFT Office is doomed or that it won't be profitable for a long time, just that I think that they realize that they can't depend on its OS or Office forever.

Apple don't make good software.
And google lack the focus, look at docs, now drive. The only people who even know about it are people like me, too cheap to buy a real word processor and too much hatred for open office being ugly and terrible to bother with.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#26 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

And google lack the focus, look at docs, now drive. The only people who even know about it are people like me, too cheap to buy a real word processor and too much hatred for open office being ugly and terrible to bother with.

love me some open office ^^ refuse to use word. Sure it's cumbersome, but it works

#27 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

Well, like I said, as of now, I still like MSFT Office.  But I don't feel the need to upgrade to the latest version.  Apple, especially, could easily make a product comparable to Office with the snap of its fingers.  I think they end up doing it eventually but probably still want to have Office available on its hardware for now.  As I mentioned, it wouldn't surprise me if they could just use interest on its cash and dividends that it pays itself from its stock to upgrade its offering and it wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket. a lot can happen in five years.

#28 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:14 PM

Live isn't free, true. But PSN isn't free anymore on PS4. And PS3 was after Live. Xbox has had Live before the 360/PS3 generation.

Like I said, a step backwards. I doubt Sony was going to make online cost money before they saw how well it worked for Microsoft.

And saying that the original xbox's online was anywhere near the PS3's online is crazy. :)

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#29 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:34 AM

Like I said, a step backwards. I doubt Sony was going to make online cost money before they saw how well it worked for Microsoft.
And saying that the original xbox's online was anywhere near the PS3's online is crazy. :)

But trying to say that Sony wasn't inspired from what Microsoft did with the original Xbox is crazy. I just can't believe you won't admit that Microsoft did something that was innovative with Xbox Live.

And paying for that service isn't a step backwards.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#30 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:57 AM

But trying to say that Sony wasn't inspired from what Microsoft did with the original Xbox is crazy. I just can't believe you won't admit that Microsoft did something that was innovative with Xbox Live.

And paying for that service isn't a step backwards.

I'm not saying Sony wasn't inspired, just that they were heading in that direction anyway.

Paying for something that is free on competitors consoles is a massive negative, IMO.

I don't even have a phone. I can't afford one.

Edited by R00bot, 14 February 2014 - 05:58 AM.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#31 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

The benefits of PS Plus far outweigh the costs.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#32 Klobb

Klobb

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waluigi and Durant

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:55 PM

As long as it somehow leads to Nintendo getting Rare I'm cool with it.

If you think Smogon ban stuff

"Just because they can't beat it"

You clearly don't play OU

You clearly have no knowledge of the metagame

And you clearly don't deserve to have an opinion.

#33 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:00 AM

As long as it somehow leads to Nintendo getting Rare I'm cool with it.

Why would you want a gutted shell with nothing left? Quite honestly everyone has left Rare from back in the day. They now either work for someone else or indie.

Much like Mistwalker,Monolith,Platinum Games,Comcept and indies the talent that made some of those companies who they are are now elsewhere.

#34 Klobb

Klobb

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waluigi and Durant

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:08 AM

Why would you want a gutted shell with nothing left? Quite honestly everyone has left Rare from back in the day. They now either work for someone else or indie.

Much like Mistwalker,Monolith,Platinum Games,Comcept and indies the talent that made some of those companies who they are are now elsewhere.

It's more that I want Banjo Kazooie than I want Rare.

If you think Smogon ban stuff

"Just because they can't beat it"

You clearly don't play OU

You clearly have no knowledge of the metagame

And you clearly don't deserve to have an opinion.

#35 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:04 AM

It's more that I want Banjo Kazooie than I want Rare.

BIngo. The big ticket item is the IPs, namely Banjo Kazooie and Killer Instinct. But then again, considering that Nintendo can't even use their own IPs effectively, I question how they'd do with more. :/ 

pNgecl.gif

#36 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

Morbid God, it is common knowledge that Microsoft has lost billions on the Xbox Division. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!