Photo

Would you be in favor of a "Star Club" payed membership?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:47 PM

before you go into a tiff, here's the idea:

it would be nice if Nintendo implemented features such as game save backup and transfer. But that requires more infrastructure and expenses. Nintendo doesn't like to spend lots of money if it won't directly give them a return.

Therefore, Nintendo could have an option to have a payed membership, while still having a decent free membership. Only features that cost a bit more money to implement (and is not needed by all users) would be part of the payed membership, while everything else (all of miiverse, eShop access, netflix and other streaming services) would be unrestricted for free memberships.

it'd go like this:

Mushroom Club: Free

all basic services that currently exist on the Wii U and 3DS

maximum of one 3DS and one Wii U at a time

Flower Club: fairly cheap (maybe $20/year)

Everything in Mushroom Club

Save data and purchased games are backed up to the cloud and synchronized with all supported devices

One Wii U and 3DS as primary systems, and the ability to roam to other user's consoles.

Voice Chat? (part of payed clubs to try to avoid children getting into voice chat with strangers)

5-10% discount on all eShop purchases

Star Club: A bit more expensive (maybe $40/year)

Everything in Flower Club

15-20% discount on all eShop purchases

Every month have a massive discount on a certain game (either a more popular one or one that seems to be overlooked)

Early access to new network features (that might get rolled out to other memberships once R&D is payed off)

Thoughts? It would allow Nintendo to have financial incentive to improve their online system.

Edited by grahamf, 16 February 2014 - 02:38 AM.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#2 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:13 PM

Too expensive for things that should come with the system in the first place.

but that's the trend nowadays, isn't it.

Thanks Microsoft. 

Edited by Big Boss, 15 February 2014 - 10:29 PM.

#3 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:13 PM

No. Fixed income already monthly payment out. I honestly cannot do another. I like it how it is. if it becomes paid I just won't use it.

#4 nbond3040

nbond3040

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Fandom:
    Code Geass,Minecraft

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:47 PM

nope these should be standard features, but they're not that is why I am transitioning to PC and Nintendo console gaming only. So I get great Nintendo games, 3rd party support, and the best online infrastructure.

#5 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:54 PM

You realize that the Free membership is the same thing as you have now, and would include anything new that it doesn't cost too much to maintain, right?

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#6 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:18 PM

Star club is so Yamauchi.

He actually wanted GameCube to be called "star cube"

Lol

#7 Merky Water

Merky Water

Motion Shooter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Contra, Mario Kart

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:26 PM

You realize that the Free membership is the same thing as you have now, and would include anything new that it doesn't cost too much to maintain, right?

Yeah, I'm not gonna be as dismissive about your post as I guess I actually read that part.

I will agree that the priced ones are a bit steep for what it sounds like you're offering though.  I'd amend it as well to be linked instead to your NNID rather than console... and let that NNID roam to other consoles(of course only allowed signed on to one console and one handheld at any given time)  But even that I'd want to wait until NNID's are transferable from machine to machine at the user level.  The early access ideas are not remotely interesting to me.  I'm not a fan when microsoft waves money for early access and not about to cheer another company do it to any degree.  I like everything else you're putting forth!  I'm leary of voice chat though.  While I'd want it, I'd want it restricted to chosen friends as kids are bound to sneak in or just be given the keys by less-than-watchful guardians.

I like to see the thought though!  Wish Nintendo would ask us these things in their nintendoclub surveys

Merky-Banner_zpsfd81fed3.png

#8 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:28 PM

I'm in favour. Premium services have the ability to offer great things. I wouldn't want varying premium services though. Having more than just the one package can turn people off.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#9 Akazury

Akazury

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • NNID:Akazury
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:22 AM

Euhm, no. Most off these things should have been there on launch and while I wouldn't mind paying for cloud saving. I sure as hell aren't going to pay for voice chat. It's nice that you think about it but this is just looking in the wrong direction.

Everything can change, but I'm never changing who I am

#10 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:22 AM

I had just thrown numbers out. I can't really speculate as to what Nintendo would actually price the memberships if they did this so I erred on the high side. Maybe Star Club would be the price of Xbox Gold and Flower would be half that.

I mostly have voice chat as a payed feature because it really needs to be restricted to prevent children from accessing it. I don't know what would be a better method.

#11 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:28 AM

Kids should just use the tried and true "Rack up gigantic phone bills on the landline" trick.

Works wonders.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#12 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:25 AM

Please, I want to be in the flower club and tell my friends and family I am still attracted to women.

#13 Akazury

Akazury

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • NNID:Akazury
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:17 AM

I mostly have voice chat as a payed feature because it really needs to be restricted to prevent children from accessing it. I don't know what would be a better method.

Can't the Parental Control settings be used for disabling voice chat? Or like video chat only with people from the friend list? Cause even eleven/twelve years old pay an fee for online, just look at xbox.

Everything can change, but I'm never changing who I am

#14 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

Can't the Parental Control settings be used for disabling voice chat? Or like video chat only with people from the friend list? Cause even eleven/twelve years old pay an fee for online, just look at xbox.

Yeah, you might've noticed that parents these days don't bother with parental controls.

Please, I want to be in the flower club and tell my friends and family I am still attracted to women.

It could be the Fire Club...

#15 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

It could be the Fire Club...

Hah, maybe. I do agree with what your saying though, some kind of subscription with even more stuff included and free games etc. I think it's on the horizon, a paid subscription at a reasonable price would work seamlessly across Nintendo's home consoles and handhelds.

Edited by Toilet_Snaker, 16 February 2014 - 03:20 PM.

#16 Merky Water

Merky Water

Motion Shooter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Contra, Mario Kart

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:12 PM

Just as long as there's still a free option.  I know PS4 is a real turn off to me right now since I'd now be forced to pay to play online.  If it was a choice still, I might get one and decide I'd want the payed version down the road or when features are suited to me.  I game more in the winter with little time for such things in the spring/summer.  I'd rather have some type of premium service in the winter but still have free(or really, paid when i buy the hardware/software) service during those months I can't get on as regular.  The discounts sound cool.  From time to time, I opt for to pay for Gamestop's paid club... last time was as the U was dropping.  Think I'm gonna up to it again as we grow nearer to MK8 release knowing some other good purchases are on it's heals

Merky-Banner_zpsfd81fed3.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!