YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Danny Isaac, Kinect Sports Rivals producer

I love that there's loads of services coming in. Cloud-based services, and Xbox Live has done a fantastic job, and as we're getting more integrated with other systems as well. I think that's going to open stuff up. Obviously the controller is great, traditionally, but I think they've done a really good job on [Xbox One]. Second screen? I don't think we've got [SmartGlass] quite right yet, but again you can really start to see these things treading together and opening up opportunities, and now having a microphone and camera.

20 years ago, I'd have a team that would be going crazy if they had this kind of technology, now we have it and people are like, well, I don't want it, I just want my controller and my screen. It would be a real shame if we lost items like that.

http://www.gamespot....e/1100-6418350/

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:44 AM

I would actually buy an XB1 if it didn't have that stupid Kinect device attached. I know you don't have to use it, you can leave it in the box, but why should I pay for a device I don't want and will never use? I've already bought one console with a pointless accessory, I don't want another one.

#3 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:45 AM

Yeah, 20 years to late Microsoft. Kinect is old hat.

#4 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

Maybe if it had games that actually worked beyond dancing/workout/puzzle, the dudebro audience the Xbox generally gathers would give a care.

But it doesn't, so they don't.

The only shame I see here is that Microsoft owns Rare's IPs.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#5 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

Maybe if it had games that actually worked beyond dancing/workout/puzzle, the dudebro audience the Xbox generally gathers would give a care.

But it doesn't, so they don't.

The only shame I see here is that Microsoft owns Rare's IPs.

Also own Blue Dragon and Lot Odessey. Pretty sure MS has no plan for them either.

#6 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

Pretty sad how people just hate on tech that is actually pretty amazing. Various reasons for this such as price, unfamiliarity with the tech, don't like to learn new things, etc.

The Wii U is better for having the gamepad is has. But developers are lazy and don't want to innovate along with it. Rather than people seeing this and/or accepting this, they then tell themselves they don't want it (granted it is completely underutilized as of right now)

Kinect is amazing as well. it's accurate, consistent, and makes everything so easy. In Ryse, when you are fighting hordes of tough guys, simply shouting an auxillary comand instead of having to stop fighting and run to press a switch - feels like what gaming nowadays should be. 

The only thing I understand about Kinect is that the it drives the price up. However, once you've gotten used to using it, it's VERY hard to go back to not having it. and if you've played the dance or fighting simulators, you'd actually be blown away. I was. It's very good. And eating popcorn, pizza, etc. while watching a movie or browsing movies, it's a small, but nice extra to not have to wash your hands evry time to pick up the controller and change something. You just tell the Xbox what to do.

There may be reasons to dislike the Xbox One and/or MS. But Kinect is definitely not one of them.

#7 magiciandude

magiciandude

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • NNID:magiciandude
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, PlayStation

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

Who cares? Rare is irrelevant these days.

Of Nelson and Murdock. Avocados at law.

Attorney at day, vigilante by night. 

#8 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

An Xbox would be a shame

Edited by kokirii, 17 March 2014 - 01:26 PM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#9 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

Kinect, a device only it's own developers could love,

Edited by Cranky Kong, 17 March 2014 - 01:27 PM.

#10 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

Its a real shame to them, because then they would be out of a job, lol, or just making avatar clothes.

I don't really see the point in a connect, I mean as someone up there said, controlling a game through your voice, and not the weird Mario Party stuff, is cool and all. But 1) Don't have a big enough space, and 2) I would not feel confortable moving and talking to control a game. xD

Stupid Snowmads!

#11 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

It's cool tech but it's been proven time and time again MS has used it to spy on people to advertise. It's also cool tech but kinda useless tech as a simple remote been proven to be easier than Kinect for media or a touch screen. Kinect is something best for some kind of business or other purposes related to tracking and even maybe some medical stuff. For media it's not very practical.

#12 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

Rare actually talked?!

#13 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:08 AM

Through a Kinect, I believe.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#14 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:18 AM

Rare actually talked?!

Rarely.

#15 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

Pretty sad how people just hate on tech that is actually pretty amazing. Various reasons for this such as price, unfamiliarity with the tech, don't like to learn new things, etc.

The Wii U is better for having the gamepad is has. But developers are lazy and don't want to innovate along with it. Rather than people seeing this and/or accepting this, they then tell themselves they don't want it (granted it is completely underutilized as of right now)

Kinect is amazing as well. it's accurate, consistent, and makes everything so easy. In Ryse, when you are fighting hordes of tough guys, simply shouting an auxillary comand instead of having to stop fighting and run to press a switch - feels like what gaming nowadays should be.

The only thing I understand about Kinect is that the it drives the price up. However, once you've gotten used to using it, it's VERY hard to go back to not having it. and if you've played the dance or fighting simulators, you'd actually be blown away. I was. It's very good. And eating popcorn, pizza, etc. while watching a movie or browsing movies, it's a small, but nice extra to not have to wash your hands evry time to pick up the controller and change something. You just tell the Xbox what to do.

There may be reasons to dislike the Xbox One and/or MS. But Kinect is definitely not one of them.

You're forgetting the whole NSA can hack Xbox One and spy on you. That's my biggest concern with the Kinnect.

However, you're right about having to just speak a command is awesome. My kids, who's mother has a Xbox One, try's to say Xbox On to my PS3. It's pretty cute.

It's cool tech but it's been proven time and time again MS has used it to spy on people to advertise. It's also cool tech but kinda useless tech as a simple remote been proven to be easier than Kinect for media or a touch screen. Kinect is something best for some kind of business or other purposes related to tracking and even maybe some medical stuff. For media it's not very practical.

Where is that proof?

Edited by MorbidGod, 18 March 2014 - 08:10 AM.

Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#16 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:47 AM

You're forgetting the whole NSA can hack Xbox One and spy on you. That's my biggest concern with the Kinnect.

However, you're right about having to just speak a command is awesome. My kids, who's mother has a Xbox One, try's to say Xbox On to my PS3. It's pretty cute.

Where is that proof?

http://thewiiu.com/t...es-mass-webcam/

http://www.gameskinn...ement-and-usage

So as you said other agencies can spy on your and MS themselves use it or as they claim for advertising purposes. No matter the purpose Kinect is better left in the box or not owning one at all

#17 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

No reason for Kinect at all. It's the definition of a gimmick.

Microsoft had no intention of making Kinect the stand out feature for games because we would have seen something by now that shows why we need it. They also want their consumers to think they are getting a great deal with Kinect included when in fact, they just wanted a huge profit with the overprice.

You only have to look at the first Kinect to see what a failure it was for gamers.

#18 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

http://thewiiu.com/t...es-mass-webcam/
http://www.gameskinn...ement-and-usage

So as you said other agencies can spy on your and MS themselves use it or as they claim for advertising purposes. No matter the purpose Kinect is better left in the box or not owning one at all

Thanks, I hadn't heard anything about MS using it to spy on customers.

No reason for Kinect at all. It's the definition of a gimmick.

Microsoft had no intention of making Kinect the stand out feature for games because we would have seen something by now that shows why we need it. They also want their consumers to think they are getting a great deal with Kinect included when in fact, they just wanted a huge profit with the overprice.

You only have to look at the first Kinect to see what a failure it was for gamers.

I wouldn't say it is a gimmick.

People need to understand Microsoft is trying to fulfill it's dream. The dream of being in the middle of everyone's lives. That's why Microsoft said a while ago they don't care how much money they loose on this project, because somewhere they knew this day would come.

Gamers would argue that well, Microsoft needs to understand that gamers only want a gaming machine. That's it! But is that really true?

Gamers loved having a DVD player in the PS2. Loved the feature in the original Xbox (I know I did). Gamers want Netflix on their console. Hulu. Vudu. Movies to rent through Live Demand. Movies to buy and own.

The definition of a console has changed. It's an entertainment machine. This is something Iwata himself has noticed. Gamers want to do more with their consoles.

So, Microsoft took that opportunity to one up everyone and add voice commands. To add motion sensors with the kinnect.

Yes, there are legitimate concerns here. Privacy is one of them. Microsoft abusing this power to know how many people are in the room and require and additional charge if your watching a movie (http://www.extremete...ou-for-the-mpaa)

These concerns, and others, are legitimate concerns that Microsoft should address. It be easy to do. Put up some sort of safe guard. Maybe a firewall will turn the networks off when the Xbox One is in sleep mode. You know, allowing you to turn off the kinnect by disconnecting it. All these options work.

But saying it has nit purpose isn't a valid concern. It had a purpose. It's freaking cool to be able to tell your TV to turn on. My dad will go ballistic if he ever sees it.

Now, saying you don't want that feature, as many here have voiced, is a valid concern. You don't have to like it. Nor do you have to buy it. Microsoft lost you as a customer. They might have lost me as a customer, but I don't know yet. I'm still in the stage of ... Do I want bug brother snooping on me?

But that's me. And that's you. Others, like my ex-wife's new hubby, loves the Xbox One. That's the first thing he showed me when I came over to pick up the kids. It's pretty cool. My kids love it. So does my ex wife.

But that's them. It's not you, or me. We are still free to have an opinion.

#19 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:28 PM

Where is that proof?

You're naive if you believe that's the only thing to worry about. Your phone, computer, tablet, etc. all accessible to the government via prism without hacking. Remember when Obama had all the tech leaders (google, ms, apple, facebook, etc) over for dinner? Yeah.. It's exactly what it looked like.

I believe you're referring to the British government secret service with the hacking bit.

Plus, I can disconnect the kinect without consequence (other than losing kinect specific function during the disconnect)

Edited by Socalmuscle, 18 March 2014 - 09:30 PM.

#20 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:13 AM

You're naive if you believe that's the only thing to worry about. Your phone, computer, tablet, etc. all accessible to the government via prism without hacking. Remember when Obama had all the tech leaders (google, ms, apple, facebook, etc) over for dinner? Yeah.. It's exactly what it looked like.

I believe you're referring to the British government secret service with the hacking bit.

Plus, I can disconnect the kinect without consequence (other than losing kinect specific function during the disconnect)

I never said the Xbox One is the only thing they can hack. In fact, ever since I've seen Enemy of the State, I've assumed that anything connected to the internet can be hacked. Hell, even if your phone is off, they can turn your microphone on and listen to you. Why do you think they like phones without removable batteries?

But don't listen to me. I'm just a crazy conspiracy theorists. ^_^

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!