Photo

Gay Gaymer convention flops, this year will be the final one.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

gaymerx2.0_cinema_960.0.png

STAY CONNECTED. FOLLOW POLYGON NOW! 

This year's GaymerX2, the convention that celebrates the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer community in games, will be the last largely due to the growing financial burden, the event's organizers announced via its official Twitter account.

"We decided that we could no longer continue as a convention as the price of running a yearly convention downtown in San Francisco was just too high — we weren't able to get the corporate sponsorship that we needed to make it something sustainable, and we were racking up huge amounts of debt to put this years con on," organizer Matt Conn told Polygon. "That being said, we're going to make the very best convention we can and we're super eager to see a rise in more alt-cons in the future, making gaming accessible to everyone."

While the organizers recently launched a Kickstarter campaign to help support the 2014 event, and successfully raised more than $24,000, they were unable to cement the desired number of corporate sponsorships to help with the event's costs.  Not mentioning which corporations were unwilling to assist, GaymerX organizer Toni Rocca told Polygon that they have received support from numerous other companies.

"We would love to, instead, at least shed light on the companies that do have progressive management and who do understand that the game industry cannot hide from equality any longer," she wrote. "With the collaboration of IndieCade, Cards Against Humanities is sponsoring a really incredible game room at GaymerX. Likewise BioWare is also going to be present in a big way. Alienware will be donating over fiftycomputers for us to use in workshops and gaming events. We are also currently in talks with the good people at Ubisoft. Outside of gaming, SheSeek has been a great sponsor."

The upcoming convention, GaymerX2, will be held at the InterContinental Hotel in San Francisco from July 11-13 and features talks, panels and workshops. This year's guests include David Gaider, Mattie Brice, Alexis Ohanian, Gordon Bellamy, Jaime Woo and John Scalzi. Musicians such as 2 Mello and Virt will be in attendance, along with Ellen McLain, John Patrick Lowrie and Zach Weinersmith.

The first GaymerX took place Aug. 3-4, 2013 in Japantown, San Francisco before it had to move to the larger premises at the InterContinental Hotel. The convention was created to provide a safe space for members of the LGBT gaming community andfeatured speakers such as Jessica Merizan, George Skleres, Jared Rea, Christine Love and Porpentine. As for future plans, the organizers may look at doing smaller GaymerX events pending the outcome of GaymerX2.

"Anything could happen with GaymerX — we're certainly not against it coming back in some other, more sustainable form, but we were basically trying to produce something that was a bit too large and ambitious for the amount of corporate interest in supporting queer geek culture," he said.

http://www.polygon.c...onventions-last

Maybe they'll be able to return someday.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

Can't say I see a huge point. Shouldn't these people, oh I dunno, come together over games instead of sexual orientation etc? I mean, yeah, kindred spirits and all, but playing and enjoying games seems a lot more important than who you're into. I enjoy E3 AND girls, can't see how others can't(obviously change girls to whatever).

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#3 SteventheSlayer

SteventheSlayer

Blooper

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Fandom:
    Old-School Nintendo Fan

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:56 PM

I was gonna say something, but then decided against it and deleted it all.

So this comment is kinda useless now.

I don't even...

#4 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:04 PM

Can't say I see a huge point. Shouldn't these people, oh I dunno, come together over games instead of sexual orientation etc? I mean, yeah, kindred spirits and all, but playing and enjoying games seems a lot more important than who you're into. I enjoy E3 AND girls, can't see how others can't(obviously change girls to whatever).

Unfortunately in 2014, LGBT people have to continually fight for their right to live peaceful lives away from persecution, discrimination and ignorance and I fully spupport their right to set up these kinds of events. It's a shame it's been cancelled and I hope it returns soon.

#5 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:45 AM

Why do people with an, let's call it alternative, sexuality feel the need to differentiate eachother from 'heterosexual' communities? The gaming community  is about games, not sexuality. Is it because of little boys calling you a ogre on Xbox Live?

Not meant in an insulting way but I don't see the point.

No sig.

#6 Etkar

Etkar

Blooper

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:18 AM

This is just stupid. Why divide the gaming community by their sexual orientation? No wonder it flopped.

#7 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:58 PM

This is just stupid. Why divide the gaming community by their sexual orientation? No wonder it flopped.

You act as though this is done purely to segregate and that couldn't be further from the truth, it's an event designed to get LGBT gamers and their heterosexual counterparts together under one roof, it's about giving a discriminated minority a voice and a means of social networking. I really don't see why anyone would have a problem with this event? It's not like the event has stated that heterosexuals aren't allowed to attend and I don't understand why people think such an event marginalises the gaming community?

#8 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:21 PM

I think Don Niu from Shenmue II is the only serious gay character I can think of. No not talkig Birdo or Posion or Enchanted arms or the badly written one in Raccoon City. Those are jokes. Gaming could use more strong gay characters.

Most characters in gaming fall in Man falling for woman or woman falling for man.

Then super macho men over overly seualized women and then super feminine men.

They could make some strong gay characters as any other. Just would add to teh character.

Now kinda going to go back on what I said a little but Bayonetta be a good gay character. Now hold on I don;t mean in your face sexulized Lesbian. She is just a sexulized woman. However her thing with Jeane could be a relationship but never see a kiss or thrown in your face they are. Just more subtle ques. A look they give one another before boss battle. Talking a plot point in a cutscene but they tone they talk sounds like a couple.  Very sublte things. Bayonetta is the kinda person even if she hates the D she would still tease it.  So B could fall in the zexulized woman who just happens to be gay and not sexulized because of it. Now before you go nuts and say she isn't gay. I know.

Also gay character just as trong as any mentally and such carry on the story.  No Mass Effect does not count as it's just in there and not story..also ME kinda sucks.

A convention like this gives off the impression of segregation to those not in the know and it gives itself a bad image. It could have been a good idea had it presented it self a bit better. PaX was just not the right place for it. Kinda a shame this failed but it;s thier own fault hwo they came across. The idea is sound to gathers others devs around to share ideas and such.

#9 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:43 PM

This.

#10 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:03 PM

This.

Ignorant

#11 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:04 PM

Ignorant

Speaking of...

You are intolerant of anyone with different views than yourself.

And a gaming convention based entirely around sexual preference?

It was destined to flop.

#12 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:09 PM

Speaking of...

You are intolerant of anyone with different views than yourself.

And a gaming convention based entirely around sexual preference?

It was destined to flop.

Except that's not it's sole purpose.   A gay dev might tell you that trying to discuss forming strong gay characters or anything at Pax is a intolerant joke. Personally I would not care for such a conference but it's not meant to segregate. Again that's how it comes off and that is thier fault. When really it's to help expand gaming and get rid of some tropes.

#13 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:09 PM

Well if human beings didn't behave appallingly to each other, discriminate and persecute each other over aspects of life such as sexual orientation than conventions like this one wouldn't need to exist.

Food for thought!

Well if human beings didn't behave appallingly to each other, discriminate and persecute each other over aspects of life such as sexual orientation than conventions like this one wouldn't need to exist.

Food for thought!

#14 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:16 AM

That sucks, hopefully another organization rises from this to continue on. Much love to all my gay brothers and sisters

#15 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

You act as though this is done purely to segregate and that couldn't be further from the truth, it's an event designed to get LGBT gamers and their heterosexual counterparts together under one roof, it's about giving a discriminated minority a voice and a means of social networking. I really don't see why anyone would have a problem with this event? It's not like the event has stated that heterosexuals aren't allowed to attend and I don't understand why people think such an event marginalises the gaming community?

I agree. It baffles me why some people have to act so flippant and think this is meaningless and pointless. There is nothing wrong in like minded people getting together and discussing a hobby they like.

#16 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:49 PM

Does anyone know if Saturn is still around?

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#17 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

Does anyone know if Saturn is still around?

Last I checked, Saturn was still a planet, so yeah...

#18 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:54 AM

Last I checked, Saturn was still a planet, so yeah...

And one of the best Game Consoles ever made

#19 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

I heard there were a lot of mini Wii's at the convention. R00bot told me.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#20 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

You guys know that I meant the user Saturn, right? Mr. Earthbound and apparently gay.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!