Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:20 PM

http://www.vg247.com...nreal-engine-4/

ib0KpjqwsFohay.gif

Not bad still more impressed by the art direction of the WiiU 2011 tech demo

Edited by DreamCat, 06 May 2014 - 06:25 PM.

#2 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:28 PM

I don't understand why the guy spend so much time rebuiling it in a game engine while he just could have used 3d software and render the files out as videofiles. Or is he actually planning on making this playable? From the looks of it is just a showcase how Zelda could look when worked out in higher detail.

Yet when looking at this, I just miss a lot of stuff, most important, the ambiance. It feels more like Myst than a Zelda game.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#3 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:14 PM

Yeah. it looks high resolution; but it seems to miss the, I don't know, soul of OoT

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#4 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:40 PM

Impressive, but kinda looked...gee...I don't know, generic. But I respect the work the guy put into the project.

#5 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:46 PM

grahamf, on 06 May 2014 - 11:29 PM, said:
Yeah. it looks high resolution; but it seems to miss the, I don't know, soul of OoT

It has a a lot more soul than the inside of the n64 temple of time. Which is basically nothing. It consists of a single brick texture for walls, a poor geometrical design with said texture, and a prebaked window light.

This is pretty good for keeping rigidly adhered to the n64 games design. Sure you can replace the lamo stained glass with din and naryu symbols with a better design.... but whatever.

The guy really put a lot of detail in places where modern Zelda's put them. Intricate medal inlaid designs, chiseled stoneworks, stained glass. Though the style completely misses the mark. I never understand why these guys always try to go with a medeival european, or victorian, or even celtic design look when they try to do zelda. It couldnt be farther from the mark, (past the town building designs of oot alone) which is actually traditional japanese mixed with native american. Thats where Anouma says he got that trademark 'Hylian' style.

But like I said, Oot itself aint got diddly squat. Its pretty much the definition of souless. Plain stone walls, repeated textures, not much soul to speak of. Kinda hard to say he failed to capture the soul of 'single repeated brick texture'.

Twilight princess however, had a MUCH better version of the temple of time.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#6 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:45 PM

You guys are kidding me, right.
That looks freaking awesome.

And I dig the sound too... Even though it's a take on the original Halo theme "song" chant thing b

Of course it seems to lack character with no people, animals, or plants. That's normal.

But the graphical fidelity, lighting, shadowing, thick fog/particles, etc. look perfect for Zelda.

Blows the extremely last gen looking e3 tech demo put of the water.

I just hope nintendo actually does something cool with the next Zelda's graphics.

#7 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:20 AM

And I dig the sound too... Even though it's a take on the original Halo theme "song" chant thing b

Of course it seems to lack character with no people, animals, or plants. That's normal.

But the graphical fidelity, lighting, shadowing, thick fog/particles, etc. look perfect for Zelda.

I just hope nintendo actually does something cool with the next Zelda's graphics.

Whoa whoa whoa..... Extremely last gen????

#8 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:09 AM

Tech demo looks way better than this

#9 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:28 AM

Looks like utter garbage.

Probably just the utter lack of imagination though.
Every texture was bland as balls.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#10 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:31 AM

I think you need to rewatch the tech demo...

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#11 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:30 AM

It has a a lot more soul than the inside of the n64 temple of time. Which is basically nothing. It consists of a single brick texture for walls, a poor geometrical design with said texture, and a prebaked window light.

This is pretty good for keeping rigidly adhered to the n64 games design. Sure you can replace the lamo stained glass with din and naryu symbols with a better design.... but whatever.

The guy really put a lot of detail in places where modern Zelda's put them. Intricate medal inlaid designs, chiseled stoneworks, stained glass. Though the style completely misses the mark. I never understand why these guys always try to go with a medeival european, or victorian, or even celtic design look when they try to do zelda. It couldnt be farther from the mark, (past the town building designs of oot alone) which is actually traditional japanese mixed with native american. Thats where Anouma says he got that trademark 'Hylian' style.

But like I said, Oot itself aint got diddly squat. Its pretty much the definition of souless. Plain stone walls, repeated textures, not much soul to speak of. Kinda hard to say he failed to capture the soul of 'single repeated brick texture'.

Twilight princess however, had a MUCH better version of the temple of time.

The original Oot was limited by the capabilities of the system. Have you played the 3D version? it's a bit better, but it is still able to keep the ambiance.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#12 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

The original Oot was limited by the capabilities of the system. Have you played the 3D version? it's a bit better, but it is still able to keep the ambiance.

Actually I was going to bring up the 3ds version instead of TP, as it pretty much completely discarded the n64's blah style....

Everywhere except the inside of the temple of time, which is still just grey brick.

Ocarina-of-Time-16.jpg

blah.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#13 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

I think you need to rewatch the tech demo...

Honestly... I've watched it a million times.

It's not technically impressive. At all.

Low poly. Some decent reflections And particle effects.

Take the familiarity away from the characters and imagine this was a competing game on a different console.

You'd be less than impressed.

Whoa whoa whoa..... Extremely last gen????

Watch the tech demo again. All it was meant to do was get people excited about Zelda in hd. Sparse environment, limited geometry, and ok textures. Great lighting, particles, and reflections. But the core of the visuals is not something that couldn't be done on the 360.

It was a quickly made demo to showcase gamepad function while featuring a popular franchise to excite people. Not really meant to be a graphics showcase.

It looks last gen. Epic, the maker, of the unreal engine that demo runs on indicated that demo was not a measure of the wii u capabilities and the system could do much more.

Which is obvious because Mario kart pretty much makes it look very old.

#14 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:33 PM

You must have very blurry vision in those million views. Because that is some sails level of BS.

Not only did the demo have some advanced lighting changing at will and reflections 3Dude talked about in Mario Kart 8 and Shin'ens new games not even possible last gen. It used high poly model link. Also had a great art direction.

Top it off we never got a direct feed. All footage is off screen. Still manipulated real time but whoever had the gamepad in their hands

#15 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:08 PM

Honestly... I've watched it a million times.

It's not technically impressive. At all.

Low poly. Some decent reflections And particle effects.

Take the familiarity away from the characters and imagine this was a competing game on a different console.

You'd be less than impressed.

Watch the tech demo again. All it was meant to do was get people excited about Zelda in hd. Sparse environment, limited geometry, and ok textures. Great lighting, particles, and reflections. But the core of the visuals is not something that couldn't be done on the 360.

It was a quickly made demo to showcase gamepad function while featuring a popular franchise to excite people. Not really meant to be a graphics showcase.

It looks last gen. Epic, the maker, of the unreal engine that demo runs on indicated that demo was not a measure of the wii u capabilities and the system could do much more.

Which is obvious because Mario kart pretty much makes it look very old.

please give me a source for that a link please? Because to my knowledge Nintendo stated it was made in short period of time and confirmed (believe what you want) that it couldnt be made on any other console avialbe at that time (ps360) so..... they never said who made the demo.

#16 Envy

Envy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • NNID:WoodwindsRock
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Pokemon, Paper Mario, SSB

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:19 AM

It's impressive sure, but I would never want a true Zelda game to look like that.

Do not get me wrong, I do want a highly detailed style for the new Zelda. In fact, I want nothing less (or perhaps I should say 'different'), but this... This doesn't do anything for me. Nintendo's tech demo is so much more exciting.

-

woodwinds3.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!