• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:06 PM

As I was recently watching the Call of Duty Advanced Warfare trailer that was game play taken from an Xbox One, I realized how minimal of a difference in graphics there is from ghosts. If so many people can complain about how Wii U is underpowered and it cant handle anything but games with a simple style then tell them to look at Mario Kart 8(which was confirmed to play at 1080p native 60 frames per second) and ask yourself why ports on Wii U look different compared to their counterparts on Xbox One. The answer is, lazy developers. If developers gave the Wii U a chance and played with the market a little, giving some extra elements to the games they port, then the third party developers will have no problem selling on Wii U. The difference in hardware is not enough to create a difference in visual fidelity this time, Nintendo knows what they are doing with the hardware of the Wii U and their games prove it. Developers who take the time to learn the hardware are lucky because it is a good machine to create new ideas on with a niche market. The game pad also proves this point too, which is Nintendo's note to the new generation to prove that the difference in power of the hardware among all three major consoles is not enough to sway someone from buying a certain console.

The point in me rambling on about graphics and minimal differences among consoles and game devices in general has to do with what the majority of consumers talk about. The list of games coming to PS4 is so slim and trim compared to Nintendo's this year, yet people are still excited about PS4, not so much Xbox One though. 

If Nintendo were to just advertise towards the real gamers and not just family based ads on TV they will be saved from the stigma that their console is stale and lame. Which shouldn't exist in the first place considering how solid the Wii U is. As time goes on and the financial reports keep rolling in it's easier to see that the sales of Nintendo's hardware are slowly rising, as Microsoft's is plateauing and Sony is pretty much riding off of the new console hype which always dies about a year in.

Games sell consoles over their life, graphics sell consoles when there are no games. 

Edited by Robotic Sunshine Commander, 07 May 2014 - 07:06 PM.

Signature_Fox.png

#2 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

As I was recently watching the Call of Duty Advanced Warfare trailer that was game play taken from an Xbox One, I realized how minimal of a difference in graphics there is from ghosts. If so many people can complain about how Wii U is underpowered and it cant handle anything but games with a simple style then tell them to look at Mario Kart 8(which was confirmed to play at 1080p native 60 frames per second) and ask yourself why ports on Wii U look different compared to their counterparts on Xbox One. The answer is, lazy developers. If developers gave the Wii U a chance and played with the market a little, giving some extra elements to the games they port, then the third party developers will have no problem selling on Wii U. The difference in hardware is not enough to create a difference in visual fidelity this time, Nintendo knows what they are doing with the hardware of the Wii U and their games prove it. Developers who take the time to learn the hardware are lucky because it is a good machine to create new ideas on with a niche market. The game pad also proves this point too, which is Nintendo's note to the new generation to prove that the difference in power of the hardware among all three major consoles is not enough to sway someone from buying a certain console.

The point in me rambling on about graphics and minimal differences among consoles and game devices in general has to do with what the majority of consumers talk about. The list of games coming to PS4 is so slim and trim compared to Nintendo's this year, yet people are still excited about PS4, not so much Xbox One though. 

If Nintendo were to just advertise towards the real gamers and not just family based ads on TV they will be saved from the stigma that their console is stale and lame. Which shouldn't exist in the first place considering how solid the Wii U is. As time goes on and the financial reports keep rolling in it's easier to see that the sales of Nintendo's hardware are slowly rising, as Microsoft's is plateauing and Sony is pretty much riding off of the new console hype which always dies about a year in.

Games sell consoles over their life, graphics sell consoles when there are no games. 

Um not confirmed actually. lets just go with 720p uprezzed to 1080p

#3 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:22 PM

CoD is still using an engine made in the PS2 era. Back n 2004 or 2005 I forget which. Just been modified I believe since MW. So it's not going to break new ground visually until they switch to something new most likely.

#4 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:26 PM

CoD is still using an engine made in the PS2 era. Back n 2004 or 2005 I forget which. Just been modified I believe since MW. So it's not going to break new ground visually until they switch to something new most likely.

actually this is SUPPOSED to be running on a brand new engine... which is suppose is only for ps4 and xb1. all other version are probably using the "NEW" engine from Ghost which in reality was just a modified engine you speak of from ps2 era.

#5 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:36 PM

actually this is SUPPOSED to be running on a brand new engine... which is suppose is only for ps4 and xb1. all other version are probably using the "NEW" engine from Ghost which in reality was just a modified engine you speak of from ps2 era.

Ghost is running on the same old engine. A slightly modified IDtech3 that Activision calls IW.  The version they are using goes back to Cod2. This game is still using the same thing in this game. Activision is using 10 year old tech. Even Madden updates 3 years tho last gen was 5.

If you want to really get technical IDtech3 goes back to Quake III. In 1999 lol

Edited by DreamCat, 07 May 2014 - 07:39 PM.

#6 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

MK8 is not 1080p native, there are so many "Game Journalists" who don't even know what native means.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#7 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:49 PM

Ghost is running on the same old engine. A slightly modified IDtech3 that Activision calls IW.  The version they are using goes back to Cod2. This game is still using the same thing in this game. Activision is using 10 year old tech. Even Madden updates 3 years tho last gen was 5.

If you want to really get technical IDtech3 goes back to Quake III. In 1999 lol

I am just stating what they have said from the past (ghost) and the new (Advance warfare).

#8 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:55 PM

I am just stating what they have said from the past (ghost) and the new (Advance warfare).

Well they lie. Little self research can tell you that. Ghosts is using the same old thing. So it lolnope Advance Wars is using what is on Ghosts then still the IW engine heavily based on Idtech3. Again they just modify something old. They are not creating anything new. Like BlopsII used maybe IW4.083  and Ghosts used IW4.1 as just a  random example(also made those numbers up). It's not new. Slightly modded. Think of it like sports games. Every year exact same thing just altered roster in the teams and a few new animations.

Edited by DreamCat, 07 May 2014 - 07:59 PM.

#9 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:24 PM

Well they lie. Little self research can tell you that. Ghosts is using the same old thing. So it lolnope Advance Wars is using what is on Ghosts then still the IW engine heavily based on Idtech3. Again they just modify something old. They are not creating anything new. Like BlopsII used maybe IW4.083  and Ghosts used IW4.1 as just a  random example(also made those numbers up). It's not new. Slightly modded. Think of it like sports games. Every year exact same thing just altered roster in the teams and a few new animations.

I was just saying

#10 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:54 PM

Let's wait for E3 to compare visuals of the best looking games from all 3 systems. As of right now tho the PS4 has the edge with The Order but like I said who knows what e3 will bring.

Edited by LinkKennedy, 07 May 2014 - 08:55 PM.

#11 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:16 AM

It's diminishing returns.

If MK8 is native 720p and upscaled to 1080p then it must have high detail per pixel as everyone who has played the game in person says it looks delicious.

#12 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:25 AM

Let's wait for E3 to compare visuals of the best looking games from all 3 systems. As of right now tho the PS4 has the edge with The Order but like I said who knows what e3 will bring.

ZeldaU SHOULD be a standout very curious to see what visual direction/artstyle they decide to take the series.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!