Photo

What kind of TV should I get if gaming is the main use?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:50 AM

So we just got back from 5 months in Central America and I finally have access to all my gaming systems again! The big shopping season also happens to be upon us and we also happened to have sold our TV before we left to have a little extra cash. 

Now that we're back, we need another TV and I want to make sure I get one that's great for the kinds of things we like to use our TVs for. The #1 use will be gaming on Wii U and PS4, primarily platformers/adventure/action-adventure games with an occasional shooter but not often, and no sports games. Other than games, my wife likes to watch shows on Netflix and sometimes we watch movies. 

So my question topics are 1) what type of TV I should get and 2) what size. 

1) I know that LCD is on the way out and I also hear that plasma is on the way out. Is LED my best/only option? Is 120hz refresh rate necessary? Which brands are the best and which should be avoided?

2) Our last TV was 42" and we want at least that much. One thing I was wondering, which I suppose could be a matter of opinion, would be, "How big is too big for gaming?" For any game with a lot of action it seems like a screen that is huge could actually detract from the experience if it's hard to look at it and take everything in at once. I'm thinking something between 42" and 60" but would appreciate any feedback here. 

Edited by Kokirii, 16 November 2014 - 09:51 AM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#2 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:19 AM

Get like a 50-55" 1080p... 60 might look stretched. But I know for a fact a 50-55" can look pretty decent.

#3 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:20 AM

What is your budget?

Screen size depends on how far away you sit. Smaller gives better pixel density and a more uniform brighness while bigger usually means an uneven spread of LED's.

Plasma 720p are fairly cheap now but Full HD pretty expensive unless you can find one used. Full HD LED's are ok but it took me a long time to find one I was happy with.

Things like motion rate etc are just marketing ploys so look at expert reviews before deciding.

I found this helpful.

http://www.techradar...ld-today-657803

#4 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:04 PM

what's your budget because i have a 40,000 dollar suggestion for the best gaming experience possible

#5 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:26 PM

You should look for reviews where gaming is taken into account, things like input lag is not a problem when it comes to films.

#6 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:59 AM

Hmmm, wonder what TV's Nintendo and MS use for their booths at e3 and such?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!