Wii U power maybe misleading

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:53 PM

ok so i know a lot of us have been very excited over the fact that Wii U GPU might be more powerful than xbox 720's. we have to remember certain things when thinking about what the console might have on the inside. the Wii was actually more powerful than was shown in the graphics. the thing is nintendo had other things in mind. they wanted a console that could be left on 24 hours a day. a lot of wii's power went to trying to accomplish this.... which is harder than you think. so with rumors that the Wii U console will infact have two of the touchscreen controllers running at one time... could the final dev kits being more powerful than expected have to do with that. i mean running two 6 inch touchscreen controllers that can stream movies, games, and display what the console is running...that takes some power. so could the Wii U in fact only be about 2x more powerful than what we have available right now(360, ps3)? just thinking out the box a little im not a big tech guy so i dont know much about gpu's and cpu's. before you guys go crazy on me for suggesting something like this.

#2 Shokio

Shokio

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Starfox, F-Zero, SSB

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:07 PM

ok so i know a lot of us have been very excited over the fact that Wii U GPU might be more powerful than xbox 720's. we have to remember certain things when thinking about what the console might have on the inside. the Wii was actually more powerful than was shown in the graphics. the thing is nintendo had other things in mind. they wanted a console that could be left on 24 hours a day. a lot of wii's power went to trying to accomplish this.... which is harder than you think. so with rumors that the Wii U console will infact have two of the touchscreen controllers running at one time... could the final dev kits being more powerful than expected have to do with that. i mean running two 6 inch touchscreen controllers that can stream movies, games, and display what the console is running...that takes some power. so could the Wii U in fact only be about 2x more powerful than what we have available right now(360, ps3)? just thinking out the box a little im not a big tech guy so i dont know much about gpu's and cpu's. before you guys go crazy on me for suggesting something like this.

Nope. Steaming multiple screens is hardly different than playing a simple splitscreen game. Also, the Wii's rumored GPU (4670) actually supports the streaming of up to 4 SD images. In other words, the Wii U will be BUILT for this. They anticipated this and that is why they decided to go with a powerful GPU that was made for this

Also, look at the 3DS. Much of the power is actually locked away because some of the resources have to go to rendering 2 screens. If the 3DS had no 3D, it'd look much better, but I still looks VERY good (look at Revelations, and it's only a first-gen 3DS title.) So if the 3DS doesn't have a problem with this then I doubt the Wii U will.

Edited by Shokio, 28 January 2012 - 10:09 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:10 PM

Now that I think about, you may have a point there TRON. I'm not exactly '1337' when it comes to tech, so I'll wait for others to discuss this in more depth.

Edited by Joshua, 28 January 2012 - 10:11 PM.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#4 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

Nope. Steaming multiple screens is hardly different than playing a simple splitscreen game. Also, the Wii's rumored GPU (4670) actually supports the streaming of up to 4 SD images. In other words, the Wii U will be BUILT for this. They anticipated this and that is why they decided to go with a powerful GPU that was made for this

Also, look at the 3DS. Much of the power is actually locked away because some of the resources have to go to rendering 2 screens. If the 3DS had no 3D, it'd look much better, but I still looks VERY good (look at Revelations, and it's only a first-gen 3DS title.) So if the 3DS doesn't have a problem with this then I doubt the Wii U will.

i thought the gpu for Wii U was the 4680 HD?

#5 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

Well, I never would have thought of this. Thanks for the info Shoke.

Also, as a side note;

SHOKIO!
Y U NO MAKE NEW VIDEO!
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#6 Shokio

Shokio

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

i thought the gpu for Wii U was the 4680 HD?

Nah, it's the 4870. That's what IGN (and most other sites) have reported. And I trust IGN's sources seein as how 99% of IGN's Wii U leaks have ended up being true.
Posted Image

#7 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

another thing... there was a developer that said the more powerful than expected was not the case. basically he said the final dev kits was in fact not final and basically just made the (two controller) more functional.... it ironed out some of the bugs. so at this point until a known developer(ea, cryteck, epic or a known developer not afraid to say name in a real interview) comes out and says this system is the real deal and takes us into the next gen.... im going to play the wait and see game.

Edited by TRON, 28 January 2012 - 10:25 PM.

#8 Shokio

Shokio

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:50 PM

another thing... there was a developer that said the more powerful than expected was not the case. basically he said the final dev kits was in fact not final and basically just made the (two controller) more functional.... it ironed out some of the bugs. so at this point until a known developer(ea, cryteck, epic or a known developer not afraid to say name in a real interview) comes out and says this system is the real deal and takes us into the next gen.... im going to play the wait and see game.

Actually, 2 of the developers you just listed have come out and said it's a real next-gen console. Crytek came out and said they're very happy about the Wii U's specs. Now, they didn't exactly say it's next-gen specs, but you gotta think about it, why would Crytek be happy about an under-powered console? This is Crytek we're talking about. So the statement they made was pretty reassuring.

EA came out and said that the Wii U is not a transitional platform (it's not a mid-step, not a 7.5). They said it's a true, full-fledged, next gen console.

Gabe Newell said the Wii U is a lot more powerful than the current generation.

THQ has praised the Wii U graphical capabilities.

Ubisoft mentioned that the Wii U has a "huge memory capcity.

So known devs have came out and gave testaments to the Wii U's power.
Posted Image

#9 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:02 PM

Actually, 2 of the developers you just listed have come out and said it's a real next-gen console. Crytek came out and said they're very happy about the Wii U's specs. Now, they didn't exactly say it's next-gen specs, but you gotta think about it, why would Crytek be happy about an under-powered console? This is Crytek we're talking about. So the statement they made was pretty reassuring.

EA came out and said that the Wii U is not a transitional platform (it's not a mid-step, not a 7.5). They said it's a true, full-fledged, next gen console.

Gabe Newell said the Wii U is a lot more powerful than the current generation.

THQ has praised the Wii U graphical capabilities.

Ubisoft mentioned that the Wii U has a "huge memory capcity.

So known devs have came out and gave testaments to the Wii U's power.

i knew about those but all of those to me seemed a bit like they were side stepping... like i know nintendo has a hush-hush policy... until i full fleged interview comes out and the developer in like a game informer or something says listen "Wii U has mind blowing graphics that make uncharted 3 and last of us look like crap" i could be reaching but when that happens its safe to say this console will be the real deal from a power standpoint.

#10 PipoPito

PipoPito

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sonic, Metroid, Pokemon, Ape Escape

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:00 AM

TRON, you asked to see if a dev came out and said that the Wii U is a next gen cons. Shokio gave you a 146 word post. Now you want a game informer to say that it has mind blowing graph?
Just admit it it is a nnext gen cons
Old Usernames: Pipopito, Great Mighty Poo , Pit.

#11 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:20 AM

TRON, you asked to see if a dev came out and said that the Wii U is a next gen cons. Shokio gave you a 146 word post. Now you want a game informer to say that it has mind blowing graph?
Just admit it it is a nnext gen cons

no i really cant say it... i mean at this point we know it will be more powerful than PS3 and 360. but most of the quotes from developers still leave questions. a developers saying i like the tech of the wii u doesnt really say much.... now if a developers said man nintendo really has next gen power in this console. do you see the difference in those statements? im just saying i will take the wait and see approach. E3 is when we will see exclusives running on the hardware.

#12 InsaneLaw

InsaneLaw

Blooper

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • Fandom:
    All

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:53 AM

Developers won't say much because the Nintendo Ninjas will get them if they do ;) .

We will have to wait until E3, and then maybe launch to know the true specs of the Wii U.

Putting out on multiple screens, as well as split screen makes the console work twice as hard and a lot of the time, produce something graphically inferior to both screens. The same is true for the multiple screens on the DS and 3DS, although the results can still be good.

Edited by Stulaw90, 29 January 2012 - 02:57 AM.

#13 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:57 AM

Developers won't say much because the Nintendo Ninjas will get them if they do ;) .

We will have to wait until E3, and then maybe launch to know the true specs of the Wii U.

Putting out on multiple screens, as well as split screen makes the console work twice as hard and a lot of the time, produce something graphically inferior to both screens. The same is true for the multiple screens on the DS and 3DS, although the results can still be good.

thats exactly what i was thinking.

#14 Shokio

Shokio

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:58 AM

If you look at the Wii U Tokyo Street video, during the Zelda demo afterwards, you'll notice that the guy says that the graphical fidelity doesn't take a hit when he streams it to the controller, and the image on the TV looks pretty much as good as it did before he streamed it.

Posted Image

#15 Dant

Dant

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:17 AM

Nah, it's the 4870. That's what IGN (and most other sites) have reported. And I trust IGN's sources seein as how 99% of IGN's Wii U leaks have ended up being true.

*Facepalm* Sooooooo much misconception here.

Modern AMD drivers allow up to six 2560x1600 displays to be affixed to modern GPUs, (6xHD to simplify it) While this is great for 2D and desktop applications, it's rather terrible for 3D with that many, being that the Wii U controllers are SD, it would take about 4 to equal a second 1080P display. My last computer had a 4870, I know.

Doing split-screen is easier than multiple screens, as the resolution is the same, but this adds resolution by adding screens.

#16 InsaneLaw

InsaneLaw

Blooper

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • Fandom:
    All

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:15 AM

That might not have been the system's full capabilities at the time with the Zelda bit, plus the second screen is at a lower resolution, as the guy above is saying.

All I'm saying is that although the Zelda Demo looks nice, like the DS and 3DS, when you just use the one screen and push the system to it's limits, the games will look far better than those shown on two screens.

Edited by Stulaw90, 29 January 2012 - 10:24 AM.

#17 Shokio

Shokio

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

*Facepalm* Sooooooo much misconception here.

Modern AMD drivers allow up to six 2560x1600 displays to be affixed to modern GPUs, (6xHD to simplify it) While this is great for 2D and desktop applications, it's rather terrible for 3D with that many, being that the Wii U controllers are SD, it would take about 4 to equal a second 1080P display. My last computer had a 4870, I know.

Doing split-screen is easier than multiple screens, as the resolution is the same, but this adds resolution by adding screens.

A 4870 in a PC is a lot different than a 4870 would be in a console. It's all about the optimization. Consoles use GPUs and CPU a lot differently than PCs do.
Posted Image

#18 InsaneLaw

InsaneLaw

Blooper

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • Fandom:
    All

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

It won't be a 4870 at all, that was probably used in the first Dev kits to get developers engines running with Nintendo's API. The final GPU will be it's own type, with some tech based on the PC GPU.

#19 stupidvillager

stupidvillager

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

As far as developers go, Gearbox has said they have Aliens running on the Wii U at resolutions and textures not seen before or possible on the other two systems, and was going on early dev kits. If GPU is designed to run multiple screens, I dont think that would be one thing to worry about, requiring more power that is. The AMD cards can actually run 5 displays with HD gaming quite well, not just 2d and desktop applications.

#20 Shokio

Shokio

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:43 AM

It won't be a 4870 at all, that was probably used in the first Dev kits to get developers engines running with Nintendo's API. The final GPU will be it's own type, with some tech based on the PC GPU.

Yes, it's not going to be an actual 4870. You're last sentence is correct. The reports were that it'll be running a custom, revamped GPU BASED off the 4870, so yea. (That's how most console CPU and GPU's are) I remember seeing some reports that the GPU will be based off the 4870, but will have some features of the 5xxx series integrated in it. So I'm thinking it's gonna be a 4xxx-5xxx hybrid.
  • Tre likes this
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!