#1 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

So... has anyone else been really stoked recently to follow the Kickstarter phenomenon, and watch developers get to make some fairly big-budget games without even involving publishers? I mean... a cool $3.5millionUSD for DoubleFine's point-and-click adventure is really an astounding budget... and all fan supported!

This got me thinking, however... most of the bigger games on the site are planning to release (eventually, anyways) on pretty much every platform known to man (even the Vita)... except for a Nintendo platform. This is a real letdown...

I know that people on these forums have said that Nintendo makes it unusually difficult on indie developers... and not ever having tried to become a Nintendo dev, I'm not sure if this is true. What i do know is that there seems to be a slow-tide movement in games, polarizing the industry between enormous, hollywood-esque AAA titles and small, homespun indie games (many of which have great merit).

Given this mounting trend (as well as the general awesome potential of giving developers a platform for making their off-the-wall ideas become reality), doesn't it behove Nintendo to make the process as easy as possible for indie devs?

#2 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

I think Nintendo has to create a way for indie devs to develop for the Wii U as some indie devs have been able to make some remarkable games.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#3 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

Nintendo is far too harsh. They really only allow popular PG-PG13 games to their systems.

Even then, they leave out too many Indie developers and Indie developers who have more "mature" games.

Edited by Mournblade, 24 April 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#4 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:56 AM

I believe they already came out and said that they aren't super keen to push indie games onto their units. Probably something to do with control and money. They probably used a nicer excuse though. I think it was recent too.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#5 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

I doubt Nintendo will ever push something as open as what Microsoft did with their indie games on the 360. This also brings up the question what exactly is an indie game, on that has no funding, one that is worked on by a small amount of people, ect.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!