Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

History
One or two years ago, I started thinking about something that would IMO be crazy for SSB4, but I always took it as my ultimate wish, as I was sure my idea wasn't realistic. Then I posted it on Gamespot and it got a lot of hate, so I kept it for myself. Then I heard that Sakurai would make the game change direction, the idea popped again in my mind, free from its "unrealistic fantasm" label. As I'm now sure it won't get as much hate here because people are polite on this forum, I'm gonna give it a try and expose it once again.

The Idea
Well the idea is quite simple: Total moveset customization. I'll give examples because it's not really easy to understand, despite the fact that it's pretty simple.

We'll take Link as an example. People would have the option of play with the classic moveset, defined by the developers in the game. They would also have the possibility to customize every move. Here we go:

Normal Attacks

A-attack:
-Vertical slice
-Reversed vertical slice
-Horizontal Slice
-Stab attack
-Left Diagonal Slice
-Right Diagonal Slice

You would have 3 slots, one for each attack. You would choose three attacks and place them in these slots to compose your A-Combo.

Up-Tilt A-Attack:

-Upper Slice
-Upper Stab

Side-Tlit A-Attack

-Strong vertical Slice
-Strong reversed verical Slice
-Strong Diagonal Slice

Running A-Attack

-Running Slash
-Shield hit followed by Diagonal Slice
-Running Stab (like in SSB)
-Jumping Vertical Slash (weird that this attack hasn't been in his moveset yet)

I'll skip the Down A-Attacks...

Smash Attacks

Side Smash Attack:

-Two Handed Diagonal Strike (as seen in previous titles)
-Second Strike (as seen in previous titles. You know, Side A Smash, the second time you press the button)
-...I've got no ideas

For this one you would have to choose two of them (you would have two slots)

Down Smash Attack

-Down Slash
-Back Down Slash (both attacks were seen as one attack in last SSB's. My idea is to separate them so you could cancel them easily
-Sword Plant (Link would jab his sword into the ground, which would deal a lot of damage but it would take time to get the sword back.

First two would count as a half slot as they usually come together. The reason why they would be separated is because you would have to press two times the A button to execute all the attack, allowing you to cancel the second one if the first misses to avoid a fatal hit.

Up Smash Attack

-Triple Upper Slash (as seen in previous titles)
-Half-circle Slash (Slices up. Starts near the ground and finishes near the ground, on the other side. Hope you understand)
-Upper Strong Stab (Link bends down, then stabs up with a Linkish scream. There could be some magic unleashed with the attack)

Special Attacks

-Horizontal Spin Attack*
-Vertical Spin Attack* (as seen in Skyward Sword)
-Skyward Strike (the first time you perform this attack, you charge your sword. Then your sword starts glowing. You can move freely, and the first sword attack you do would unleash the Skyward Strike. If you perform the horizontal or vertical Spin Attack, the range and the power will be increased)
-Boomerang
-Bow and arrow
-Bomb
-Whip*

*These attacks could be used as recovery attacks (you know, when you're falling and you use a special attack to get back on stage)

Also, there, you would have to pick a move for each attack (one for Up-B, one for Down-B, one for Neutral-B, one for Side-B

Final Smash

-Triforce Slash (as seen in Brawl)
-...I couldn't come up with more ideas. There would be more than one choice for the Final Smash and you would have to choose one.

I skipped some, but let's not forget that there could be new types of attacks in the next one. There could be, as someone said on this forum, air grabs for example. Melee introduced grabs, Brawl introduced head jump. What will the next one introduce?

Also, each attack may have a different amount of damage, but they would still be balanced. For example, a quicker attack would deal less damage and vice-versa.

Pros and Cons

There are good things about this, but also things that some would dislike.

+The game's lifespan could be insanely increased
+Will make good Smashers incredibly skilled. Since you don't know the moveset of your opponent, you will have to control the fight, making the game overall harder. You know what that means? HARDCORE GAMERS
+Will settle the problem about the game's physics. Some didn't like the fact that Melee was fast, and some didn't like the more aerial brawl style. As said before, you will have to control the fight in order to win the game, which would require people to be fast. That would make a fight really fast-paced and still keep those aerial physics.
-Really risky. Sakurai will need to be extremely careful with that in order to keep this balanced or else everyone will find the best combination and stick to it, which would kill the customization thing.
-May take time to develop. I don't know anything about this though...

Another Idea

A lot of people want this and it's the most likely thing between all my ideas. Yeah, I'm talking about Alternate Costumes. For those who dont know what these are, it's pretty simple: instead of having random colors to choose besides the original one for your character, you would have the choice to have your character wear a costume that has been seen in a game from the original series. We have seen some in Brawl (WarioWare Wario and original Wario, Fire Flower Mario, Blood Falcon, Daisy), but as a little add.

I would like to see a lot of alternate costumes (in fact, many for each character). I would also like that the alternate costume gets his own name. For example, in Brawl, we had Daisy as an alternate costume of Peach. I would like to see "Daisy" on the select screen when I choose that alternate costume. I would also like that the alternate costume gets its own voice, if it's different from the original one.

Again, let's take Link as an example. Here are some alternate costume ideas for him.

-Skyloft Link (without hero's clothes)
-Zora Link (I mean Link wearing his Zora clothes, as seen in Twilight Princess)
-Dark Link
-oops I'm out of ideas...

Plus, MAYBE, each costume would enable a skill (for example, the Zora clothes make you swim faster). It could even be skill points, but hey, it's getting complicated...

I want to settle the clones problem once and for all. You know, people have been complaining forever about the clones. For example, Link and Toon Link are really similar. There's no point of having two times the same character. Plus, they take away a character slot. A total waste. But it would be so sad to take Toon Link away from the roster, since he is a different character, even though he has the same moveset. So the only solution I see is to put both Links in the same slot, Toon Link as an alternate costume, but keeping his name and his slightly different moveset (also customizable). In fact, he wouldn't be an alternate costume, but basically, another character in the same slot. TADA! Problem fixed!

You know that in Super Smash, two things are really fun to unlock: characters and stages. Now there should be some unlockable alternate costumes, as it would significantly increase the game's lifespan. Some alternate costumes could also be bought by DLC with real or in-game money.

There could also be a "create your costume" mode. It would be really simple. You would take a character, take a costume model and change the colors to create new costume shades.

Pros and Cons

+Lifespan increased
+Cool addition. Would make people know more about the games the characters come from.
-There's none...

And again another idea...

This is absolutely crazy but let's go! I would want an evolution/level system, but in a different way than the one suggested by a lot of people.

It would be a system that makes your character evolve. It would be a clever way to unlock aternate costumes. let me explain... by taking, once again, Link as an example.

You would start with Skyloft/Ordon Link (without his hero clothes). While getting through the game, you'd get experience points that would make you level up. Once you get to a certain level, Link will evolve, getting the hero's clothes. The Skyloft/Ordon clothes will then become an alternate costume. Not only will this apply to clothes, it would also apply for the sword. Link would start with his training sword. Once he gets to a certain level, his sword will be upgraded (as seen in Skyward Sword), until it becomes the Great Master Sword (sorry, had to put the "great" before...)

The most crazy thing happens when you think about Pokémon. If the Pokémon Trainer gets back in that next game, he could start with his Starter Pokémons, each in their first form, not evolved yet. By aquiring experience, your Pokémons will level up, causing them to evolve, but note that they won't evolve at the same time. You would actually have to use each one enough in order to make them evolve. The original and the second form will then become alternate costumes. All three forms of a same pokémon would have a different moveset, so the first form still could be the one a player likes the most. That would not only apply to the pokémon trainer, but also to Pikachu and the other Pokémons. Isn't that crazy?

Pros and Cons

+Crazy system that would increase the lifespan to, like, 200 years.
+Would introduce us to each character's story.
+Crazy, just ZOMGingly crazy (had to say that)
-Time issues... again, I don't know anything about this.
-Hard to ajust the level for multiplayer gaming. The guest would have a weak character. Honestly, if this idea happens, Nintendop would make sure the problem won't happen, so I'm not really worried.

Edited by Alianjaro, 28 April 2012 - 02:30 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Reaper Pin

Reaper Pin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Legend of Zelda Etc.

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

Holy sh**.
Contact Sakurai so he hires you, man. These are the changes that would be okay.
Great job man!
Posted Image

#3 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

AW THAT SUCKS WHY DID YOU POST THAT IDIOT.
Just kidding!

These are actually really good ideas. I am kinda iffy on the level up idea, but the customizable moveset is a brilliant!

Edited by Blakexd9, 28 April 2012 - 03:54 PM.

#4 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

Holy sh**.
Contact Sakurai so he hires you, man. These are the changes that would be okay.
Great job man!

Thank you I appreciate that. Plus you know that Nintendo has a web research team? They look at the public tendencies and sometimes add what most people want. This is why I'm pretty sure tripping would not be in the next SSB. So we'd better post our wishlists everywhere so Sakurai sees it!

AW THAT SUCKS WHY DID YOU POST THAT IDIOT.
Just kidding!

These are actually really good ideas. I am kinda iffy on the level up idea, but the customizable moveset is a brilliant!

Yeah I can see why. But the thing is, it would be cool to actally unlock the clothes and, say, the Master Sword for Link
Posted Image

#5 Chinomanila

Chinomanila

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda,Bioshock,Pikmin

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

Wow, love your ideas man. My favorite is the costume idea, I always thought it would be cool to change the whole wardrobe of your character and not just the color.
Posted Image

#6 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

Yeah I can see why. But the thing is, it would be cool to actally unlock the clothes and, say, the Master Sword for Link

It would.
For leveling up: Would the character become stronger, take less damage, etc (like in Pokemon?)
I hope not. That would mess up the entire game. I want all the characters to be evenly matched, one character shouldn't have an advantage just because that character is a higher level.

#7 DANT3

DANT3

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

I like all of the ideas a lot, really, but I think I'm seeing a bit of a problem with the custom movesets. Not only would it take a heap of time to develop and make it non game-breaking, it would also eat up a lot of the much more 'serious' player's time. I could imagine myself wasting an entire month just to form a moveset that would work for my playstyle, for one character, to be well-rounded against other characters in a fight, with good combo options, keep away, safety moves, mindgaming potential - everything! It just seems like a huge task, and I'm not sure if it would really be... Worth it.

At the same time, that'd be a month well spent... Re-creating Link as he was in the original would be epic...

Out of curiosity, would you rather each moveset saves to a character, or to the 'name tag' that made it, or what?

#8 Legend

Legend

Goomba

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

I like the first two ideas. When it comes to the customizable movesets, I think the idea should be scaled back and only apple to Special/B moves. That's what people care about most, and it would make it easier to balance. Also, I think that alternate costumes are a no-brainer, and (thanfully) they're a lot more likely due to the Nintendo Network and DLC.
The Legend

#9 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

I like all of the ideas a lot, really, but I think I'm seeing a bit of a problem with the custom movesets. Not only would it take a heap of time to develop and make it non game-breaking, it would also eat up a lot of the much more 'serious' player's time. I could imagine myself wasting an entire month just to form a moveset that would work for my playstyle, for one character, to be well-rounded against other characters in a fight, with good combo options, keep away, safety moves, mindgaming potential - everything! It just seems like a huge task, and I'm not sure if it would really be... Worth it.

At the same time, that'd be a month well spent... Re-creating Link as he was in the original would be epic...

Out of curiosity, would you rather each moveset saves to a character, or to the 'name tag' that made it, or what?

I know a lot of people think that the game should stay simple. I am of those who think that complicating the game a bit won't matter, but oh well... I see your point :)

And for your question, I think that the Wii U will be account based, meaning that you'll have a profile on Nintendo Network. I think that you'll have to choose your account (like on the PS360). The moveset could save to that account, which could be saved on the controller so you could choose your own moveset when playing with friends in their home. Well... actually, I dont really mind.
Posted Image

#10 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

This idea reminds me of create a wrestler on wrestlemania 2000

Signature_Fox.png

#11 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

I think that the Wii U will be account based,
I think that you'll have to choose your account (like on the PS360).

I am pretty sure the Wii U was confirmed to have accounts (for Nintendo Network) and to have separate accounts also. (If that is what you mean.)

#12 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

I am pretty sure the Wii U was confirmed to have accounts (for Nintendo Network) and to have separate accounts also. (If that is what you mean.)

Yes thanks its exactly what I meant :)
Posted Image

#13 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

Yes thanks its exactly what I meant :)

Oh, I thought you didn't know because you said I "think."

#14 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

Oh, I thought you didn't know because you said I "think."

Well yeah actually I wasn't sure :D
Posted Image

#15 Jakester897

Jakester897

Spiny

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, puzzle games, Pikmin

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

The customizable movesets idea is a bit... eh. I can see problems and game-breakers already. It'd be much better if:
a. You could only change special moves
b. The changes were entirely aesthetic (i.e. the moves change appearance, but not effect.)

The custom costumes would be awesome and DLC-friendly, as well as removing clone issues. I don't like the thought of adding additional effects that might change the character, though.

I hate the level-up system you proposed. It's a fighting game, not an RPG. Maybe the experience points will go towards collectibles (e.g. stickers and trophies) instead? Alternately, the level-ups should only provide new appearances and, like in the Pokémon Trainer example, new characters.

Edited by Jakester897, 28 April 2012 - 08:52 PM.

Posted Image
What we do is, if we ever need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
We put the volume up to eleven. One louder.

#16 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

Email this to Nintendonoa.

Lol Ponkotsu ideas.

#17 Tipzil

Tipzil

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • Fandom:
    Link, Pokemon, Nintendo, Minecraft

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

My mind, has officially, been blown D:
Don't worry, it's a good thing!
That's an awesome idea, why would anyone hate it?
I'd also like some sort of 3D mode, where instead of fighting in 2D, you could be in a full 3D environment!
"I wombo, you wombo, he, she, me wombo, the study of womboligy, come on Spongebob, this is first grade!" ~ Patrick, Spongebob Squarepants

"Nah Nah Nah Man, you see, mah name is An'twan!" ~ Josh, Drake & Josh

#18 Jakester897

Jakester897

Spiny

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, puzzle games, Pikmin

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

I'd also like some sort of 3D mode, where instead of fighting in 2D, you could be in a full 3D environment!

The series is changing direction... Changing direction... 3D... changing direction into 3D...

I think you are on to something. Mayhaps the game will have different "planes" for you to fight on, like in LittleBigPlanet?
Posted Image
What we do is, if we ever need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
We put the volume up to eleven. One louder.

#19 Tipzil

Tipzil

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • Fandom:
    Link, Pokemon, Nintendo, Minecraft

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

The series is changing direction... Changing direction... 3D... changing direction into 3D...

I think you are on to something. Mayhaps the game will have different "planes" for you to fight on, like in LittleBigPlanet?

I read your post as something negative lol
(good thing I didn't click reply D:)
"I wombo, you wombo, he, she, me wombo, the study of womboligy, come on Spongebob, this is first grade!" ~ Patrick, Spongebob Squarepants

"Nah Nah Nah Man, you see, mah name is An'twan!" ~ Josh, Drake & Josh

#20 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

I want it to stay 2D.
I like it better, a lot better, than 3D.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!