25 replies to this topic

#1 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

This strategy of theirs is bound to fail. I understand the desire to surprise their audience but you can't hide EVERYTHING from them! Nintendo has pretty much said jack carp since E3 2011 and they have now raised the expectations of fans through the roof. Their compelete silence has lead to fans bickering with each other for Wii U's power, and how powerful or weak it will be. You have hardcore gamers who abandoned Nintendo with the Wii, thinking off coming back but basing the decision off the Wii U's capabiltites and specs first. You have industry analysts forecasting doom on them. Let's not forgot all the articles and rumors from small developers claiming the Wii U is weaker than the 360 or PS3. The worst part of it is, Nintendo just let's this negative press go on and don't respond at all.

I graduated in Marketing and I know the importance of PR. You can't let negative press brew and do nothing about it. Even if the Wii U rumors of being weaker than the 360 or other negative rumors sound absurd, the fact of the matter is you need to respond to those speculations to ensure potential customers, current customers, and investors that this is not the case. Instead, Nintendo let's these accusations ran rampant and change the perception of people who have shaky faith in Nintendo.

PR Management 101. If someone says Wii U < 360 you respond with "While the Wii U's final design has not been completed, we can assure you it's hardware specifications are more advanced than competitors current consoles". That shuts everybody up and gives analysts, journalists, and fanboys no fuel to add to the fire. What did Nintendo do? "Nintendo doesn't focus on technical specifications". Vague and weak. It gives the vibe that it is in fact weaker then the 360 even if it really isn't.

Or Nintendo can simply show a couple trailers of confirmed Wii U games like a game that has been in development forever, like Pikmin 3, to show graphic capability, controller capability, and show off that it can't be replicated by current gen consoles.

Saving all your info for a blowout at E3 is a high risk-high reward strategy; you either blow the lid off everything and fans go nuts with all the announcements and are happy with what you showed; their expecations were met basically. Or, your crazy NDA's and silence has lead to overhype from fans with unmeetable expecations and you end up failing to impress the audience enough and your overhyped conference becomes the laughing stock of the gaming industry forever (like five hundred and ninety nine US dollars kind of laughing stock). Nintendo ends up releasing xbox 360 level or power or shows it's online is not up to par with the other two, and you can bet on stock prices dropping and low sales of Wii U consoles.

It might not be too late to fix this though. Release some info, anything, a trailer, the final design of the controller, the final design of the console, final tech specs (I understand competitors might copy you and you don';t want to reveal your plans and products to them early, but wtf is one month to them). It's time to keep the fanbase in check and not put all your eggs in one basket Nintendo. Your creating unrealistic expectations of this conference. Remember you still have to talk about the 3DS, you can't talk 90 minutes straight about the Wii U, show a bunch of trailers and games and online. (Don't get me started on how the price wont be announced at E3, that is a big deciding factor for people on the fence about purchasing it).

/rant

Edited by 10k, 29 April 2012 - 06:32 PM.

Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#2 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

So true. I cant agree enough. They're handling it rather badly. If their E3 conference isn't the best one ever, people will be disappointed.

#3 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

I dunno, but I am confident and I think Nintendo knows what they're doing. I agree with you though.
Posted Image

#4 KennGalaxy

KennGalaxy

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

I agree completely. I had this feeling going into E3 last year. Nintendo let to many rumors and speculation build up, it left me going into E3 completely clueless but at the same time expecting SO MUCH that it was inevitable that I would be let down.

It could be said that it's my fault for getting my hopes up, but as some people have been saying, some of these questions (hardware, online, price etc...) could have been taken care of before E3.

#5 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

The only reason there waiting to E3 to finally shown off everything about the Wii U is because they want E3 2012 to be like E3 2004 or E3 2010, they want there conference to be amazing.

#6 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

Beautifully said.

The big N has gave no sort of information these past few months (some news, though nothing really important.)

The price AND the release date are not going to be announced at E3. Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

#7 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

dont worry you are going to see a lot of stuff in may leading up to E3

#8 uh20

uh20

Thwomp

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Fandom:
    i HATE m$windows

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

i would agree, but the only way to do that would be at the few big game conventions prior, like nordic games... the only thing i would see nintendo doing is reveal the slightest bit about things that, well, were already kinda revealed on the legends trailer

now when i say i would agree, im kind of kidding myself, fans might be making a hype train, but it seems 90% of what audience the wii got, does not even know a wiiu is in development, heck none of my friends knew, so saying a lot of people are going to be disappointed is only a 10% representation
:laugh:

#9 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

Just 1 trailer of some sort would make me happy...

#10 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

I kinda agree that Nintendo should talk about the Wii U more but still leave some more info to surprise the audience.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#11 Reaper Pin

Reaper Pin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Legend of Zelda Etc.

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

Just 1 trailer of some sort would make me happy...

What about that Rayman Legends leak or whatever?
Posted Image

#12 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

What about that Rayman Legends leak or whatever?

That wasn't enough. We need a 3d game showcase Ex. Assassins Creed or Metroid
We want to see power.

#13 Nin_Stream

Nin_Stream

Dry Bones

• Banned
  • 476 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, SmashBros, F-Zero

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

Its Nintendo...You trust them with your life. Or you GTFO. That simple. People can wait till E3 to learn what will be learned.
[E3 2012] Nintendo gets it's throne back.

#14 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

I agree completely. I had this feeling going into E3 last year. Nintendo let to many rumors and speculation build up, it left me going into E3 completely clueless but at the same time expecting SO MUCH that it was inevitable that I would be let down.

It could be said that it's my fault for getting my hopes up, but as some people have been saying, some of these questions (hardware, online, price etc...) could have been taken care of before E3.

Exactly! When I heard about Project Cafe from 01.net in April I was stoked. And then Nintendo confirmed for sure that they would reveal the next console at E3. But then they stayed quiet until June, couple that with a terrible 2011 for the Wii and 3DS being boring up until then, and you get me expecting a huge conference. Needless to say, they failed to meet my expectations at E3 2011. The Wii U reveal was botched, rushed, and contained footage of 360 games and PS3 games. Hell they said no to Vigil to show a working demo of Darksiders II and didn't even show the picture of the console!

All I'm saying is, Nintendo better not screw up this E3 and botch the Wii U re-reveal, because if they do , they only have themselves to blame for all this secrecy.

Look at Sony, we know GoW: Ascension and Last of Us are coming, as well as the Smash Bros. game, but we haven;t gotten full trailers for those titles yet, so gamers have something to be excited about and have reasonable expectations.

Maybe I am overreacting because I the Wii is suffering a software drought and I am currently enjoying Xenoblade only and I know there will be another drought until the summer, and at least no Wii U until the fall. Sigh.....

Edited by 10k, 29 April 2012 - 08:48 PM.

Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#15 Nin_Stream

Nin_Stream

Dry Bones

• Banned
  • 476 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, SmashBros, F-Zero

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

Iwata said PRICE WONT BE. He didnt say ANYTHING about Release date. We will get that at E3.

Beautifully said.

The big N has gave no sort of information these past few months (some news, though nothing really important.)

The price AND the release date are not going to be announced at E3. Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

[E3 2012] Nintendo gets it's throne back.

#16 Jerry

Jerry

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

While I agree with pretty much everything on here I do believe from what I've seen from the past Nintendo E3s..... Nintendo will not give us the actual specs of Wii U.

Nintendo doesn't believe in taking about whats under the hood because when microsoft and sony post their specs for their next gen consoles...... they can easly show how their system will overpower wii u. This doesn't make much sense because when Wii U is launched someone out their will be ripping one apart day one to find out..... but that doesn't make them offical specs though. At E3 2012 Nintendo will say something like "the hd graphics the wii u can produce will make you said WOW".. and they will leave it at that. They will continue to talk about how the controller changes gameplay like never before and reveal some more suprises with what the controller can do. While I don't agree with this stragegy.....I think this is what they will do.

I'm excited for the console either way. Other than my 3ds...... I'm bored to death with all my consoles. I need something new to excite me with gaming.

#17 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

From Shokio, you guys may find this interesting and reflect it on this topic.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#18 Fig

Fig

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Fandom:
    Miyamoto franchises

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:29 AM

This strategy of theirs is bound to fail. I understand the desire to surprise their audience but you can't hide EVERYTHING from them! Nintendo has pretty much said jack carp since E3 2011 and they have now raised the expectations of fans through the roof. Their compelete silence has lead to fans bickering with each other for Wii U's power, and how powerful or weak it will be. You have hardcore gamers who abandoned Nintendo with the Wii, thinking off coming back but basing the decision off the Wii U's capabiltites and specs first. You have industry analysts forecasting doom on them. Let's not forgot all the articles and rumors from small developers claiming the Wii U is weaker than the 360 or PS3. The worst part of it is, Nintendo just let's this negative press go on and don't respond at all.

I graduated in Marketing and I know the importance of PR. You can't let negative press brew and do nothing about it. Even if the Wii U rumors of being weaker than the 360 or other negative rumors sound absurd, the fact of the matter is you need to respond to those speculations to ensure potential customers, current customers, and investors that this is not the case. Instead, Nintendo let's these accusations ran rampant and change the perception of people who have shaky faith in Nintendo.

PR Management 101. If someone says Wii U < 360 you respond with "While the Wii U's final design has not been completed, we can assure you it's hardware specifications are more advanced than competitors current consoles". That shuts everybody up and gives analysts, journalists, and fanboys no fuel to add to the fire. What did Nintendo do? "Nintendo doesn't focus on technical specifications". Vague and weak. It gives the vibe that it is in fact weaker then the 360 even if it really isn't.

Or Nintendo can simply show a couple trailers of confirmed Wii U games like a game that has been in development forever, like Pikmin 3, to show graphic capability, controller capability, and show off that it can't be replicated by current gen consoles.

Saving all your info for a blowout at E3 is a high risk-high reward strategy; you either blow the lid off everything and fans go nuts with all the announcements and are happy with what you showed; their expecations were met basically. Or, your crazy NDA's and silence has lead to overhype from fans with unmeetable expecations and you end up failing to impress the audience enough and your overhyped conference becomes the laughing stock of the gaming industry forever (like five hundred and ninety nine US dollars kind of laughing stock). Nintendo ends up releasing xbox 360 level or power or shows it's online is not up to par with the other two, and you can bet on stock prices dropping and low sales of Wii U consoles.

It might not be too late to fix this though. Release some info, anything, a trailer, the final design of the controller, the final design of the console, final tech specs (I understand competitors might copy you and you don';t want to reveal your plans and products to them early, but wtf is one month to them). It's time to keep the fanbase in check and not put all your eggs in one basket Nintendo. Your creating unrealistic expectations of this conference. Remember you still have to talk about the 3DS, you can't talk 90 minutes straight about the Wii U, show a bunch of trailers and games and online. (Don't get me started on how the price wont be announced at E3, that is a big deciding factor for people on the fence about purchasing it).

/rant

While I agree with a lot of what you stated, I'm going to partially disagree and partially play devil's advocate, for the sake of discussion. I agree that by taking a high risk- high reward approach to E3 Nintendo is setting themselves up for major disappointment, or jubilation across the interwebs. However, I also believe that Nintendo knows this as well, but they are confident that the presentation they have planned will in fact create a positive buzz.. If they were not confident, they would be cautious and announce games early like Sony with the new GoW and Sony Smash Brothers. It would have been awesome for Sony to close their show with Sony Smash Bros. and GoW trailers back to back! But, I've digressed...The bottom line is that you've got to do what you feel is best for your company, and Nintendo feels that it is best for them to build hype/anticipation/curiousity for their E3 presentation because they are confident that they are going to deliver on the hype. I like that.

The negative press issue is a very dynamic issue, especailly for Nintendo. The negative press attacks the very heart of who Nintendo is and aims to be. They have stated for years now that they are about software, not hardware. Hell, Iwata even stated something similar at the most recent investors conference. Nintendo's response to the graphics press shows me that Nintendo has two things:

1. Integrity- Nintendo is about the games, not the hardware specs. This was true when Wii was outclassed by their competition is graphics, and its true when they are beating their competition. I respect that in a business and in a person. Stay who you are through the good times and the bad times.

2. Foresight- Nintendo knows that Xbox III and PS4 will likely beat them in graphics. Therefore, they feel that they can't acknowledge the "importance" of hardware specs in any way, because they can't go back to sofrware over hardware when they are beaten again. That would go against who they have been for several years and going back of the soffware/hardware thing would be hypocritical.

I've all ready talked about the hype thing. II will say that most people thare are hyped are Ninteno fans anyways, and the chances of them being disappointed to the point of not wanting a Wii U is slim. Anybody else that is hyped is probably mature enough to temper their expectations. I'm not downlpaying the importance of the E3 presentation. I just think you're overstating the hype thing a little. Also, if Nintendo's Wii U isn't up to par/better thatnXbox 360's graphics and online capabilities, their stock price will drop regardless of whether they announce that before, during, of after E3.

Finally, and this surprises me a little with your marketing background, Nintendo not releasing the price and release date at E3 is absolutely the right thing to do. Selling is like dating, you must leave them wanting more! Withholding this information will keep the internet dweebs tuned in for a release date and price until they inevitably do it through their Nintendo Direct in September (my prediction, of course). Also, releasing this information 2 months-ish before release gets people talking about your product again, much closer to its release. The last thing you want is your price and release date to be old news. You want big, national/international media to pick up on that information close to release.It will be one last buzz push before release.

Edited by Fig, 30 April 2012 - 04:32 AM.

#19 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

While I agree with a lot of what you stated, I'm going to partially disagree and partially play devil's advocate, for the sake of discussion. I agree that by taking a high risk- high reward approach to E3 Nintendo is setting themselves up for major disappointment, or jubilation across the interwebs. However, I also believe that Nintendo knows this as well, but they are confident that the presentation they have planned will in fact create a positive buzz.. If they were not confident, they would be cautious and announce games early like Sony with the new GoW and Sony Smash Brothers. It would have been awesome for Sony to close their show with Sony Smash Bros. and GoW trailers back to back! But, I've digressed...The bottom line is that you've got to do what you feel is best for your company, and Nintendo feels that it is best for them to build hype/anticipation/curiousity for their E3 presentation because they are confident that they are going to deliver on the hype. I like that.

The negative press issue is a very dynamic issue, especailly for Nintendo. The negative press attacks the very heart of who Nintendo is and aims to be. They have stated for years now that they are about software, not hardware. Hell, Iwata even stated something similar at the most recent investors conference. Nintendo's response to the graphics press shows me that Nintendo has two things:

1. Integrity- Nintendo is about the games, not the hardware specs. This was true when Wii was outclassed by their competition is graphics, and its true when they are beating their competition. I respect that in a business and in a person. Stay who you are through the good times and the bad times.

2. Foresight- Nintendo knows that Xbox III and PS4 will likely beat them in graphics. Therefore, they feel that they can't acknowledge the "importance" of hardware specs in any way, because they can't go back to sofrware over hardware when they are beaten again. That would go against who they have been for several years and going back of the soffware/hardware thing would be hypocritical.

I've all ready talked about the hype thing. II will say that most people thare are hyped are Ninteno fans anyways, and the chances of them being disappointed to the point of not wanting a Wii U is slim. Anybody else that is hyped is probably mature enough to temper their expectations. I'm not downlpaying the importance of the E3 presentation. I just think you're overstating the hype thing a little. Also, if Nintendo's Wii U isn't up to par/better thatnXbox 360's graphics and online capabilities, their stock price will drop regardless of whether they announce that before, during, of after E3.

Finally, and this surprises me a little with your marketing background, Nintendo not releasing the price and release date at E3 is absolutely the right thing to do. Selling is like dating, you must leave them wanting more! Withholding this information will keep the internet dweebs tuned in for a release date and price until they inevitably do it through their Nintendo Direct in September (my prediction, of course). Also, releasing this information 2 months-ish before release gets people talking about your product again, much closer to its release. The last thing you want is your price and release date to be old news. You want big, national/international media to pick up on that information close to release.It will be one last buzz push before release.

Good points. Regarding your las part though, Nintendo has already reached the stage where people have been talking a lot about the Wii U because they revealed it last year. Had Nintendo not revealed the Wii U last year then I would agree with not announcing a release date or price. But because the product was announced June 2011 this waiting game is getting ridiculous. Preorders need to start soon and people may hold back because of price. If they withhold the price at E3 then at least announce the release date to increase anticipation and get retailers to start preorders.
Posted Image

#20 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

Exactly! When I heard about Project Cafe from 01.net in April I was stoked. And then Nintendo confirmed for sure that they would reveal the next console at E3. But then they stayed quiet until June, couple that with a terrible 2011 for the Wii and 3DS being boring up until then, and you get me expecting a huge conference. Needless to say, they failed to meet my expectations at E3 2011. The Wii U reveal was botched, rushed, and contained footage of 360 games and PS3 games. Hell they said no to Vigil to show a working demo of Darksiders II and didn't even show the picture of the console!

All I'm saying is, Nintendo better not screw up this E3 and botch the Wii U re-reveal, because if they do , they only have themselves to blame for all this secrecy.
Look at Sony, we know GoW: Ascension and Last of Us are coming, as well as the Smash Bros. game, but we haven;t gotten full trailers for those titles yet, so gamers have something to be excited about and have reasonable expectations.

Maybe I am overreacting because I the Wii is suffering a software drought and I am currently enjoying Xenoblade only and I know there will be another drought until the summer, and at least no Wii U until the fall. Sigh.....

They said no to the DS2 demo because it literally was one day before the event that it was finally finished.

Don't forget the Last Story, and possibly DQX. 'Course, those are in the summer, but summer's only a month away.... and Xenoblade should last most people that long.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!