#1 Chinomanila

Chinomanila

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda,Bioshock,Pikmin

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

- Apparently, the titles & demos present at E3 2011 (maybe not all) were brought to the show on SD cards
- The port was made accessible for studios to run their content. I'm not sure if their projects worked directly from SD cards, or were then transfered to a flash memory or another storage to be launched from those instead.
- There's also a possibility that for several demos, real dev kits (i think lherre talked a little about this in the first thread) were hidden behind, and directly plugged to the TV's, with the software brought & stored through digital means (storage, flash, Host PC linked to the dev kits containing the content, emulating a normal drive, perhaps the hypothetic access times, etc.)
- It seems no optical storage was involved at E3 2011. Wii U pseudo bluray weren't there at all. Some people could have thought, for certain demos, with the little LED lightened, etc. that such discs were present in the drives and that these were working, loaded the data & all, but it probably wasn't the case.
- With the latter information, it's plausible that Wii U brought didn't housed an optical drive. They certainly were just the dev kits (basically, all the hardware removed from the big development boxes ? i doubt it as dev kits are bigger than those units. A condensed version deprived of all the development stuff then ? A prototype of the retail board + components ?) with the activated at the time SD cards port.
- About the optical drives, in the less likely scenario (see the last point + the following message in some days) that they were inside, they could have been not-yet-working-models, placeholders. This could indicate an optical storage situation still in flux at the time, still in the designing process.
- This could reinforce the hypothesis that the Wii U cases were just "mock-up", boxes rather quickly built to contain and hide the hardware they intended to bring at E3. It's a clear hint toward a possible change of the system appearance come E3 2012.
- Obviously, the situation has evolved since then, but not quickly after. This point will be made clearer in a following message about the optical storage of the Wii U.

I've heard that from two different sources but still grain of salt because it could only be relevant for some E3 2011 demos, not all.

Source: http://www.neogaf.co...postcount=11911
Posted Image

#2 ArnarFB

ArnarFB

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, F-Zero

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

I hope so. The Wii U looks so dull and boring, the original Wii was rather dull but still stylish I guess, but the Wii U is like a watered down version of that. Not a fan of it at all. So bring on the new version please!

#3 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

Hopefully 'tis true! A redesign is a must if they want people to know this is NOT a peripheral.

#4 Fig

Fig

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Fandom:
    Miyamoto franchises

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

IdeaMan has been the source of a lot of internet rumors... was he around before E3 2011? If so, did any of his rumors turn out to be accurate? I know we won't find out about most of these rumors until E3 2012.

#5 KennGalaxy

KennGalaxy

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

I don't know how legit IdeaMan is, but from browsing neogaf they seem to take him seriously so whatever. I personally feel the Wii U needs a redesign because it just doesn't look that exciting coming after the Wii. They need to do something to separate it from the Wii.

Then again who am i kidding, if they wanted to do that they wouldn't have named the console 'Wii' U lol

#6 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

this does sound quite possible actually.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#7 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:44 PM

i just want a name change Wii u was growing on me for a while but its just too close to the wii name. im expecting confused consumers and alot of "its just a new Wii" comments when it should be more like "its a new Nintendo console".

#8 Chinomanila

Chinomanila

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

i just want a name change Wii u was growing on me for a while but its just too close to the wii name. im expecting confused consumers and alot of "its just a new Wii" comments when it should be more like "its a new Nintendo console".

Totally agree.
Posted Image

#9 InsaneLaw

InsaneLaw

Blooper

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • Fandom:
    All

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

Well ofcourse it's going to be redesigned a little bit, but alot of what he said was obvious, Development Kits hardly ever look like their console counterparts (at least at first they don't).

Here's a few devkits (including dolphin, DirectXbox and others): http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Dev_kit

Edited by Stulaw90, 16 May 2012 - 07:26 PM.

#10 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

Well ofcourse it's going to be redesigned a little bit, but alot of what he said was obvious, Development Kits hardly ever look like their console counterparts (at least at first they don't).

Here's a few devkits (including dolphin, DirectXbox and others): http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Dev_kit

I saw most of them before but the PS3 dev kit looked like a DVD player, the PS2 looked like a PS2 on super power, the PSP one was huge, and the Xbox looked like a PC.

#11 Chinomanila

Chinomanila

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

The XboX 360's looked just just like a xbox 360.
Posted Image

#12 Nin_Stream

Nin_Stream

Dry Bones

• Banned
  • 476 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, SmashBros, F-Zero

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

I guess im in the minority...I like the way the Wii U looks as it is...
[E3 2012] Nintendo gets it's throne back.

#13 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:25 PM

I guess im in the minority...I like the way the Wii U looks as it is...

That's the thing, you're a minority. The console looks too much like a Wii. If Nintendo wants to attract the core/hardcore crowd, they need to make it look less like a Wii.

Posted Image

#14 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:35 PM

I totally agree with the Wii U looking very dull at the moment. Look at it in all angles. It looks very boring.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#15 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:22 AM

I just want it to be bigger... Because my consideration is about the exhaust of hot air... what about the cooling system... So logically, wii U will be bigger!.. Doesnt matter if the current shape that we know, is bigger than wii... wii was a minature without cooling system and strong parts.. Wii U is very small for what it promises.

Edited by Orion, 17 May 2012 - 04:23 AM.

#16 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:39 AM

I just want it to be bigger... Because my consideration is about the exhaust of hot air... what about the cooling system... So logically, wii U will be bigger!.. Doesnt matter if the current shape that we know, is bigger than wii... wii was a minature without cooling system and strong parts.. Wii U is very small for what it promises.

I have to agree with you, the system on display seemed too small to run this without heating problem, which even can affect the slimmer Xbox 360 and ps3.. With the Wii U being stronger it definitively need to be bigger.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#17 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:11 AM

it may sound silly, but I loved the cube shape.. gamecube. A bigger version of gamecube could due to any kind of hardware!!! and with appropriate skins, it could be the best looking console! :)
There is plenty of m/atx cases for pc, that can fit amazing hardware inside, and they still look sleek like gamecube.. a bit bigger.. Its the best shape in my personal opinion, because you can add any kind of cooling system, lots of exhaust air system, and expandable..

Edited by Orion, 17 May 2012 - 05:13 AM.

#18 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

Exactly, I rememberer when the Wii was coming and everyone was like did you here the new nintendo console? Yeah the successor the gamecube! My friends thought it was just an add on and someone thought it was a portable wii...

I hope for a bigger design more sony-ish and a cooler name. Not a name that sound like a siren wii u wii u wii u (I got the idea with the siren from someone I don't remember)

Edited by Hinkik, 17 May 2012 - 07:28 AM.

28gxdv8.png

#19 djlewe78

djlewe78

Blooper

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

I hope so. The Wii U looks so dull and boring, the original Wii was rather dull but still stylish I guess, but the Wii U is like a watered down version of that. Not a fan of it at all. So bring on the new version please!

Im not sure what else nintendo cud do, its still true to the wii and simple and clean in design, it wud hide nicely in anybodys front room or bedroom which is what people want. I remember when i saw the ps3 first edition and thought "wow that is far to biig and bloody ugly" nobody could fit it anywhere so it was always just sat on the floor looking a bit seperated, i think small plain and simple is best, after all it works for apple!

#20 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

Lol, they look freaking horrible. But off course they weren't made to be pretty.

I don't think it will change MUCH. I think Nintendo is still really fond of using the Wii brand, and with a brand, comes a style.
No sig.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!