10 replies to this topic

#1 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

This is a topic to discuss if any of you are a fan of ROM cartridges, and whether you'd like to see more modern versions used?

I personally would buy a whole console just on the concept of a return to the games cartridge. I know they're more expensive to produce, but I'd personally pay a small bit extra if it meant using them again.

With some sort of flash memory based technology you could easily make a 50GB games cartridge, it would stop loading times and abolish installation times too . There's something satisfactory about the old way of games media as well.

Anyway your thoughts of a next gen games console using cartridges again?

#2 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

Not until these babies come into the market. http://en.wikipedia....ic_data_storage
Posted Image

#3 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

I like the idea, it just isn't quite realistic untill as Andy said, those start to come out.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#4 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

Well, with a 50GB cartridge you could make a huuuuuuuuge ass game. But who would actually use that much capacity?
No sig.

#5 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

Some have speculated that Nintendo will be the first video game console maker to implement holographic data storage due to the uncovering of a Joint Research Agreement between InPhase and Nintendo.[12]
Nintendo is also mentioned in the patent as a joint applicant: "... disclosure is herein made that the claimed invention was made pursuant to a Joint Research Agreement as defined in 35 U.S.C. 103 ©(3), that was in effect on or before the date the claimed invention was made, and as a result of activities undertaken within the scope of the Joint Research Agreement, by or on the behalf of Nintendo Co., and InPhase Technologies, Inc." [13]

It is still unclear whether InPhase's closure has affected this rumor in any way.

9th gen Nintendo console confirmed for using holographic media? :P

Posted Image

#6 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

9th gen Nintendo console confirmed for using holographic media? :P

Well It's not out of the question, i'm sure in 6 - 10 years time Nintendo will release their 9th Gen system just around half way through Sony and Microsoft's 8th. If holographic discs or cartridges are a way to go then I'm sure they'll do it. Although it has to be worth Nintendo's money, if the Wii U can handle a new control style the Wii U may be the last home console made by Nintendo in a while: Graphics are reaching a plateau, and so it has to be really reliant on CPU power to do something incredible that the Wii U wouldn't be able to cope with in a million years, also within Nintendo's budget. Prehaps controlling a game with your mind? :P

Edited by Penguin101, 01 July 2012 - 11:28 AM.

#7 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

Well, with a 50GB cartridge you could make a huuuuuuuuge ass game. But who would actually use that much capacity?

Games on the PS3 have already getting close to that, like Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted 3, God of War 3, and Final Fantasy XIII. There Blu-ray disk are dual layered making it 50GB.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#8 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

today good games or reach games.. are about 24-27gigs and MMOs can get up to 70gigs.. Guild wars 2, will be 40gigs at release date, what about patches and expansions. So 50gigs is nothing...

Edited by Orion, 01 July 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#9 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:04 PM

today good games or reach games.. are about 24-27gigs and MMOs can get up to 70gigs.. Guild wars 2, will be 40gigs at release date, what about patches and expansions. So 50gigs is nothing...

Not too be nit picky but GW2 is 25 GB

#10 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

I ve seen article that says 40... Probably the required space in HDD and 25 compressed.

After edit: months ago, I saw 40.. now its 25 indeed.. here it is.. http://www.guildwars...-game/game-faq/

Anyway, its extreme for an mmo, after one year is going to be 40 lol... Now wow is about 23 gigs!!! With all this expansions, etc.. Also max payne 3 is 26 gigs in a PC and so on..

Edited by Orion, 01 July 2012 - 11:47 PM.

#11 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

I didn't know...
No sig.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!