Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:30 AM

Is it just me or do you guys feel alike?

Once upon a time in happy Nintendoland, there was a studio that rivaled Nintendo's own inhouse dev teams. It was owned by Nintendo and as such a second party studio. Nintendo trusted the studio with their dusty IP called Donkey Kong, and the studio came up with the excellent Donkey Kong Country. The studio not only created platform games but also shooters and as time passed by much more genre's were added to their portfolio. Everytime the studio came up with news the fans and press waited in inticipation, but mostly the studio was very secretive. Well, am I talking about Rare or Retro here?

Ofcourse I know what happened to Rare :( but it seems rhat Retro is Nintendo's latest petproject and its going really well. I hope they keep up with Rare's trackrecord and deliver us games in other genre's too. To keep the paralax in the N64 era...they did a shooter or two, they delivered an awesome platformer....now its time for an excellent racer....FZero, we have been waiting!

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#2 SolxBurst

SolxBurst

Okami Amaterasu

• Writers
  • 630 posts
  • NNID:SolxBurst
  • Fandom:
    Okami, Fire Emblem, Legend of Zelda

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:38 AM

F-Zero indeed would be awesome to see from them, in fact, I haven't even considered that being their project... hmm. Anyways, I do see the similarities between the two, in fact I have seen it for quite a while and it is amazing how both of them were also similar by pushing the graphics of their time (i.e. Rare: Donkey Kong Country, Retro: Metroid Prime). We can only hope though that Retro does not go the same path as Rare...

2jd1178.jpg

"...A well written villain is a hero in his/her own world..."

#3 Varg

Varg

Spiny

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • Fandom:
    FInal Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Zelda

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:06 AM

Retro lost a few people but they also added new ones. We will see if this effects any quality of work from them. Though i do agree with you that Retro does seem to be filling the same shoes that Rare had, it can never truly do it though. Rare just had so many awesome Ips that i missed. They were one of the main reasons for me buying an xbox 360. I was ready to see Jet Force Gemini, Killer Instinct, Blast Corps, hell even Battletoads in glorious HD, but as you can see... it never happened :(

#4 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:52 AM

lol, I was just thinking about this last night! Great minds think alike, eh?

Yeah, I'd definitely say they are giving of a retro-rare vibe. I'd rather comission them over Rare to create a Banjo-Kazooie game, as the original team was disbanded, and the new members are stuck making Kinect Sports....

#5 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

Rare had a great idea.
To render the characters on other machines and use the output in their n64 game.

Then they did some great level design.

So I'd say you'e about right.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#6 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

I think if Retro had more people working for them, and could pump out more great games a year they would be very close to the way Rare was. I have always thought of them as Rare 2.0.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#7 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

tbh i have to agree here retro is much like rare but thats because rare and retro are/where owned by nintendo and greatly influenced by them. but when they left nintendo rare really lost there magical touch. damn microsoft lol.

Signature_Fox.png

#8 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:16 PM

As a hardcore Rare fan I always hoped to would be a comeback. But last year almost every last core designer finally left and started up a couple a little studios. Some succesfull, some a little less. I think Rare is lost now in developing R&D esque games for new software en tech and for the casual and children market :(

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#9 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:33 AM

I've honestly never felt the two to be alike to each other.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#10 WisdomPowerCourage

WisdomPowerCourage

ZEWOP BOOPITY BOP!

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • Fandom:
    Cats Pajamas.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

I loved Rare's games but I believe that Retro is and will continue to out due them. I just see a lasting appeal in retro's games that people enjoy and I think that they will stick around with Nintendo longer than Rare and make better games.

#11 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:13 AM

I loved Rare's games but I believe that Retro is and will continue to out due them. I just see a lasting appeal in retro's games that people enjoy and I think that they will stick around with Nintendo longer than Rare and make better games.

Outdue them? Retro has made 3 good titles with prime and one great with DKCR. But Rare made at least 7 amazing games just for the N64. Outdueing the current rare, yes, but Outdueing the old one we all loved, never.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#12 Link707

Link707

Boo

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, SSB, Mario etc.

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:03 AM

Outdue them? Retro has made 3 good titles with prime and one great with DKCR. But Rare made at least 7 amazing games just for the N64. Outdueing the current rare, yes, but Outdueing the old one we all loved, never.

Yeah but rare had a lot more freedom. They weren't a wholly owned studio. They just happened to be partly owned by Nintendo. Miyamoto put his foot down on the crap that they were making and Retro got bought by Nintendo completely, after prime was a success

Posted Image

#13 WisdomPowerCourage

WisdomPowerCourage

ZEWOP BOOPITY BOP!

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • Fandom:
    Cats Pajamas.

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:04 AM

You forgot Mario Kart 7, and also I love the games Rare made but I believe one day in the future and ask our selfs would we rather be without Rare's games or Retro's games.

#14 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:30 AM

You forgot Mario Kart 7, and also I love the games Rare made but I believe one day in the future and ask our selfs would we rather be without Rare's games or Retro's games.

I've already
Made that decision and I want Retro, rare was destroyed 10 years ago. I was just saying retro needs to do a lot of
Work to ever live uP to Rare. Although with DKCR I believe they can do it, now they need to impress me with a good 3D game, I would
Love to see a DKC in a the third demension, like super Mario 3d land, but on the wii u.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#15 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

retro defiantly gives me that type of vibe, the only difference though is that they don't really make new ip's which is a shame considering i think they have the talent to make something amazing and original.

#16 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

I don't think I can disagree with this any more strongly.

Aside from golden eye and perfect dark I feel rares n64 career is a bunch of glorified garbage.

I don't believe, for a second rare, at any state in time, could ever make something remotely close to metroid prime.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#17 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

I don't think I can disagree with this any more strongly.

Aside from golden eye and perfect dark I feel rares n64 career is a bunch of glorified garbage.

I don't believe, for a second rare, at any state in time, could ever make something remotely close to metroid prime.

Killer instinct, conkers bad fur day, banjo and koozie, donkey kong 64, and battletoads would all like to have a word with you.

Rare was an amazing developer during the 90's and was one of the best developers for Nintendo consoles during its pre-microsoft era

#18 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:34 AM

Killer instinct, conkers bad fur day, banjo and koozie, donkey kong 64, and battletoads would all like to have a word with you.

Rare was an amazing developer during the 90's and was one of the best developers for Nintendo consoles during its pre-microsoft era

I love battletoads, I'm a huge rare/tradewest fan.

But everything you mentioned is steaming garbage compared to metroid prime, and nothing they have ever done indicates they could come remotely close.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#19 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:44 AM

I love battletoads, I'm a huge rare/tradewest fan.

But everything you mentioned is steaming garbage compared to metroid prime, and nothing they have ever done indicates they could come remotely close.

different time period is the only thing that i think makes a difference. given the opportunity the old rare under Nintendo's watch could have made something equally as amazing. but we will never know since Microsoft has destroyed what once was an amazing company.

#20 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:08 AM

different time period is the only thing that i think makes a difference. given the opportunity the old rare under Nintendo's watch could have made something equally as amazing. but we will never know since Microsoft has destroyed what once was an amazing company.

I would accept a sidescrolling adventure game a la super metroid, but they never made anything like it.

I think the closest thing they made to a good exploration adventure game (I never liked banjo kazooie, and detest the blasphemy that was sfa) was jet force gemini, where each character you rescued had abilities that would get you into new areas.

They were always very proficient in graphical prowess.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!