25 replies to this topic

#21 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

you mean the tiniest system to date.

My N64 has had pediasure poured in it, rolled down stairs, given and taken back from my little sisters. Can plug it in right now and play ocarina of time. :3 Mind you I've had it since 2002.

I remember my mom played Mrs. PacMan Maze Madness on my N64 so long that it just shut off on her. I don't exactly know how long that was.

Dude, Macbook Pros get HOT. And I agree Nintendo makes sure their products work for years. I never understood how they could fit so much on such a small motherboard tho. Same goes for Apple. I wonder if Nintendo will have a vertical stand for the Wii U

Pretty sure he meant that the wii u is a fairly big console. It is a little smaller than the 360. But size indicates nothing. The n64 had a smaller profile than the NES. It's about technology, manufacturing process, economy of design and thermal management. The wii, n64, and snes were fairly small, as was the cube, which trumped the larger ps2s power by a decent margin. . But case size means nearly nothing. It's all about how it is put together. Microsoft was somewhat new to the hardware systems game. The first Xbox was basically a cheap pc complete with PC case (albeit with a giant "X" on top). The 360 was a better deal. But they still had to learn. This is Nintendo territory. They know how to make a very powerful system fit into a non-gargantuan case and have it run cool and reliable.

Of course MacBook pros get hot like all notebooks. They have tons of power crammed into a thin, tiny case.

The point was that they manage the heat and don't have issues. I work when traveling from a MacBook pro and put it through far more intensive use than most people ever will. It gets hot but nothing crazy. And I've never yet had any issues. the point was to show how much the industry has changed. Manufacturing is better. Airflow dynamics are better.

Nintendo has crammed Tons of power into wii u. And Nintendo never lets a design go to manufacturing until it has been thoroughly tested and proven to be all they want it to be. The U makes use of these modern design fundamentals and still employs a large box case with massive venting. It won't have heat issues.
It would appear the U is designed for a vertical stand option, but you never know. They haven't shown it in marketing at all.
If Nintendo doesn't offer one, I expect a third party to do so.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 12 August 2012 - 10:33 AM.

#22 Usman Mohammad

Usman Mohammad

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

The Wii U is a dedicated console. It is designed by Nintendo to be very powerful, but also very efficient.

consider the new Macbook Pro with Retina Display. The laptop is nearly as thin as an iPad, but it has a quad core i7 CPU, an Nvidia Kepler GPU, 16GB RAM and solid state storage.

It is in a case which is many square inches smaller than the Wii U.

Apple keeps it cool. cool enough to be a pro level machine to last for a decade or more.

MB Pros get really hot, to point its unbearable to put on your lap. MBP don't rely on just ventiallation, the metal unibody acts as a giant heat sink to disapate heat.

#23 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

MB Pros get really hot, to point its unbearable to put on your lap. MBP don't rely on just ventiallation, the metal unibody acts as a giant heat sink to disapate heat.

Not by design it doesn't. And the cheap plastic PC laptops get just as hot.

Keep the vents free. They are designed to move air.

I use mbps all the time for my projects when traveling because of the power and reliability. They manage heat very well.

And of course they get hot as all notebooks do. That's nature. Yet the Mbps soldier on, working like a champ even when the heat is on.

And you'd never notice if it was on a desk or entertainment center- where the wii u will reside-to get back to the point of comparison.

The wii u will generate massive heat as well. But it won't fry itsf like the 360.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 12 August 2012 - 10:39 AM.

#24 FreakAlchemist

FreakAlchemist

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • Fandom:
    Link Samus MegaMan KidBuu Vegeta

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

Not by design it doesn't. And the cheap plastic PC laptops get just as hot.

Keep the vents free. They are designed to move air.

I use mbps all the time for my projects when traveling because of the power and reliability. They manage heat very well.

And of course they get hot as all notebooks do. That's nature. Yet the Mbps soldier on, working like a champ even when the heat is on.

And you'd never notice if it was on a desk or entertainment center- where the wii u will reside-to get back to the point of comparison.

The wii u will generate massive heat as well. But it won't fry itsf like the 360.

I'm going to open up my WiiU just to see whats inside of it.I don't feel like looking at a video of someone else doing that so don't even say it.It's going to be a fun day :D
Posted Image

3DS Friend code: 0602-6262-8935

just pm me if you want to friend me

#25 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

I'm going to open up my WiiU just to see whats inside of it.I don't feel like looking at a video of someone else doing that so don't even say it.It's going to be a fun day :D

LOL!

Best post on this thread.

hopefully you have a "back up' Wii U just in case...

#26 FreakAlchemist

FreakAlchemist

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • Fandom:
    Link Samus MegaMan KidBuu Vegeta

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

LOL!

Best post on this thread.

hopefully you have a "back up' Wii U just in case...

Hey if i break it thats my problem.I've open every system i bought and thought i broke my 360 completely when i got the RROD but i fix it by cleaning up the motherboard and reballing the GPU.
Posted Image

3DS Friend code: 0602-6262-8935

just pm me if you want to friend me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!