#1 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

Chances are that at least on of you has seen this video (Almost 9 MILLION views!), but it really might be something Nintendo would look at for their next console, so I thought I'd link it here...
Video
Discuss!
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#2 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:26 PM

Oh, I remember that video very, very well from around the time it was first published. The idea behind it is absolutely ingenious, and I think that's actually what Kinect turned out to be. What I love about this approach, however, is that it still allows for a Wii Remote to be used as a pointer, which is a boon for games like shooters and puzzlers that require pinpoint accuracy.

I can just see it now: Call of Duty with head tracking. It has the same great Wii Remote + Nunchuk controls Wii shooters do, but just moving your head changes your camera angle. That would be absolutely awesome.

#3 Epic Kirby

Epic Kirby

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby, Final Fantasy, Umeniko, DeathNote

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:36 PM

That is pretty awesome stuff. How about that and mind control and then we've got ourselves a pretty awesome piece of gaming technology.

Imagine Skyward sword with that tech... that would be so epic.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Check out my RP
Kirby Sig made by Anisaxis, thanks dude :)

#4 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

I can just see it now: Call of Duty with head tracking. It has the same great Wii Remote + Nunchuk controls Wii shooters do, but just moving your head changes your camera angle. That would be absolutely awesome.

That would be the first COD game that I'd play outside of friends not having any other game. And I would probably enjoy it. What would I enjoy more? Metriod Prime 4. WOULD BEAT LoZ:OoT!

Imagine Skyward sword with that tech... that would be so epic.

The only problem with that is... Zelda isn't first person.
Though it could still be used for bows and stuff ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#5 Epic Kirby

Epic Kirby

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby, Final Fantasy, Umeniko, DeathNote

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

They could do the first, first person Zelda game as a launch title ;) but hopefully its done a little better than DQ: Skyward sword...
Posted ImagePosted Image

Check out my RP
Kirby Sig made by Anisaxis, thanks dude :)

#6 Mark

Mark

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:36 PM

I remember watching this video, very good and simple tech! I was hoping for this sort of tech to be in the 3DS apart from the parallax barrier screen.
Posted Image

#7 Ephesus

Ephesus

Blooper

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Fandom:
    Star Trek, Fringe, NCIS, yoshis, fantasy

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

Uh, wow. To be honest, I never knew that the Wiimote had IR sensors and that the sensor bar had LEDs. Looks like Nintendo has been anticipating a lot of things, yes?

As the guy says himself though, this would only work for single players. I'm afraid we won't be having multiplayer 3D game sessions... until holoprojectors are invented, of course. (Star Trek FTW)

These are my dragon persona Darren's parents. Or Darrents, if you will.
Posted Image

#8 Bobby

Bobby

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Fandom:
    KIRBY!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:02 AM

This is awesome tech and has really good potential. It would need to be developed a lot more I don't see why this can't be used for the Wii 2.
Posted Image

#9 Bartman2

Bartman2

The Ultimate Nerd

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby, LoZ, The Simpsons

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:57 AM

THAT IS SO FREAKING COOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL i want it i want it i want it i want it!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Posted Image
Like a Boss

#10 Bartman2

Bartman2

The Ultimate Nerd

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby, LoZ, The Simpsons

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:56 PM

... lmfudouble posting so you can see this! the part where he puts the "rings" on his fingers and moves them around to make the grid move around is definitely looking like a possibility. it looks like an iPad to me.
Posted Image
Like a Boss

#11 dannyboy

dannyboy

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Fandom:
    all nintendo characters

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:14 AM

oh yeah i remember reading about this in ONM. The idea sounded genius and pretty amazing for games
http://amazing-nintendo.blogspot.com/
my new blog all about Nintendo so go and have a look though its not just as good as here but go for a look and sign up to the forum if you want

#12 Sea

Sea

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirbys Epic Yarn, A Boy and His Blob

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:58 AM

I'm really enjoying having to move around and duck down to find hidden targets on AR Shoot on the 3DS, so I would definitely enjoy this kind of technology on the Wii 2, and the idea that the image gets bigger as you walk towards the screen is amazing. Imagine playing an investigation game, standing back to look at an entire room for clues, seeing something intriguing and walking forwards to get a closer look. I'd love that.

I'm wondering though, since you have to wear a device for the head-tracking to work, do you think Nintendo would be up for promoting this technology? They've made a really big deal about not having to wear glasses for the 3DS.

#13 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:29 AM

I'm wondering though, since you have to wear a device for the head-tracking to work, do you think Nintendo would be up for promoting this technology? They've made a really big deal about not having to wear glasses for the 3DS.

The difference is that this would be more like a hat, and therefore not restrict your vision. Like a controller for your head.

Plus the biggest problem with glasses is that many people already wear glasses. No one has to wear forehead amplifiers ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#14 Mukkinese

Mukkinese

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:40 AM

Head tracking was used in a similar way for a system on the DS;My link

If the Cafe handset has a front facing camera, that could easily implement this kind of 3D effect.

Edited by Mukkinese, 24 May 2011 - 04:42 AM.

#15 rob_shadows

rob_shadows

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:53 PM

I wouldn't doubt it, the tech is actually extremely easy by today's standards, much simpler than what he shows. For example supposedly the cameras in the NGP feature facial and head recognition as well as head tracking (basically the same stuff in Kinect) which shows that it can obviously be done without the need for additional hardware outside of the camera system (external sensors, etc...)

Awesome? Sure. Practical? Not so much. I don't know about you but I don't have the ability to look up to pan the camera up to face an enemy at higher altitudes or look to the side to look around a corner or something while still managing to look at the TV, lol. My eyes are not able to look in two different directions at once:P

#16 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:31 AM

I want the technology where you can control things with your mind....fork yeah B)

#17 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

You all do know he worked at MS and built the Kinect right?

#18 TheSparrow87

TheSparrow87

Thwomp

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:16 AM

2 year old necro, nice.

Whats up with boicejupepect's post lol.

He was indeed hired by Microsoft after he made numerous Nintendo Wii Mote/Sensorbar videos.

It always surprised me that Nintendo never did anything with this, and even more so when they announced that they put a sensor bar in the Wii U Gamepad.

I was convinced they were going to come out with glasses free 3D for a home console. (Made a post about it here somewhere as well, back when it was still called Project Café)

It's still possible as all the material is there, here's hoping they'll drop this bomb at E3 or its an added feature in the summer patch ^^

#19 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

2 year old necro, nice.

Whats up with boicejupepect's post lol.

He was indeed hired by Microsoft after he made numerous Nintendo Wii Mote/Sensorbar videos.

It always surprised me that Nintendo never did anything with this, and even more so when they announced that they put a sensor bar in the Wii U Gamepad.

I was convinced they were going to come out with glasses free 3D for a home console. (Made a post about it here somewhere as well, back when it was still called Project Café)

It's still possible as all the material is there, here's hoping they'll drop this bomb at E3 or its an added feature in the summer patch ^^

Now that would be a show stopper, but I have to remain skeptical.

#20 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:00 AM

only issue i can see if kenect already uses the same technology on kenect, were MS likly patented it. and refuse to sell the paten right to nintendo.

if this works differently than kenect then it should go fine, but with a noticable more powerful consul it shouldnt be much of a issue. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!