Photo

What type of Gamer do you consider yourself to be?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Poll: Type of Gamer? (54 member(s) have cast votes)

What type of Gamer do you consider yourself to be?

1. Casual (6 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. Core (27 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Hardcore (21 votes [38.89%])

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

Casual, Core, or Hardcore.

If you don't know what each means here:

Casual- Laid Back Fun Games that are simply to play

Core- Inbetween Casual and hardcore Gamer, offers more challenge

Hardcore- Extreme, Committed Games that offer the greatest challenge with most of the time the most Gruesome appeal and intensive Gameplay

Edited by Heyheyharold, 23 September 2012 - 04:21 AM.

I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#2 Gimbal

Gimbal

Abscond

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • NNID:Savoir
  • Fandom:
    School Rumble

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

POPULAR

I play games.
"So if Zero Suit Samus is fanbait for guys, where is the fanbait for girls? Why isn’t Captain Falcon wearing a thong or sporting a chest twice the size of his last model? Why doesn’t Mario have an absurd crotch buldge holding in his 10 inch slice of manhood? Why doesn’t Yoshi look like a Fist of the North Starcharacter.

That, my friends, is why the design is sexist."~Angelo M. D'Argenio-4/17/2014

"Yes, because owning only 1 game in this series makes you qualified to have an opinion on it"~PyroKinesis-5/7/2014

"He is a game dev, critic, games media writer, and candidate for a phd by the way. So, LMFAO."~3Dude 9/4/2014

#3 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

POPULAR

Casual, Core, or Hardcore.

If you don't know what each means here:

Casual- Laid Back Fun Games that are simply to play (i.e. Mario, Angry Birds, etc.)

Core- Inbetween Casual and hardcore Gamer, offers more challenge, (i.e. Rayman Origins, F1, etc.)

Hardcore- Extreme, Committed Games that offer the greatest challenge with most of the time the most Gruesome appeal (i.e. Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, etc.)

I wouldn't really agree with your idea of those style of gamers.

Playing Mario doesn't make you a casual gamer, and playing nothing but call of duty and GTA doesn't make you hardcore
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#4 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

I play and like nearly every game. Except strategy and puzzle games. Everything else I like. Mostly RPG, FPS. I am obsessed with video games, when I have free time, I play them. I have spends thousands on video games and such. And I CAN NOT WAIT for the Wii U. ^_^

#5 Foot

Foot

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

I wouldn't really agree with your idea of those style of gamers.

Playing Mario doesn't make you a casual gamer, and playing nothing but call of duty and GTA doesn't make you hardcore

Just a basic idea
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

#6 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

I play pretty much ever game I can get my hands on, unless it's Girlz sleep ovr party or SiNG or Funky Barn and etc.

I'd say I'm all-around, hardcore in that aspect.

#7 KgGamesXL

KgGamesXL

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

Im a core gamer but i lean more to the hardcore side but we shouldn't be grouping gamers into categories were all gamers no matter what games we like to play.

#8 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

OK, I can see what is meant by a "casual" gamer, but how is Call of Duty a "greater challenge" than, say, Super Mario 64? I don't understand the significance of your question. I think Call of Duty is a good example of a game that is not really meant to have much depth, but just offer some fun gameplay that appeals to a lot of people, like New Super Mario Bros, or Wii sports.

#9 Foot

Foot

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:24 PM

OK, I can see what is meant by a "casual" gamer, but how is Call of Duty a "greater challenge" than, say, Super Mario 64? I don't understand the significance of your question. I think Call of Duty is a good example of a game that is not really meant to have much depth, but just offer some fun gameplay that appeals to a lot of people, like New Super Mario Bros, or Wii sports.

Bite me, lol jk, it's the genre and appeal of the game

#10 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:25 PM

Call of Duty is more of a casual/core game.
I'm a mixed between core/hardcore. I don't really label a gamer as casual/hardcore ect. It really (atleast for me) depends on the game. Some games I can play for hours and some I could play for a 15 minute period.

2lvmghw.png

#11 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

Well... I'm just going to consider it a good thing I don't understand the labelling. Monster Hunter and Xenoblade are examples of games that take some effort to get into and understand in order to play properly, whereas platformers like Rayman Origins and Super Mario 64 can be played right away. Call of Duty is also quite easy to pick up from the start. Which is more difficult? Which has more depth? Well... that's questions of definition, I suppose.

#12 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:48 AM

Whenever i hear the term "hardcore" gamer i always imagine a sad loser with no life playing video games 24/7 :P

I dont consider myself any of these labels, i just play games that i think are fun and entertaining

#13 Zombiecakez

Zombiecakez

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Fandom:
    Bowser is AMAZING!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:05 AM

I play every kind of game except singing daning and childrens games but yeah I agree while COD and HALO are some of the most (hardcore) games out I see them to be casual they take very little skill to play imo

Posted Image

#14 LaserSWE

LaserSWE

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:20 AM

I dont know. Video-games are a huge part of my life and has been since my childhood. But still, i dont consider myself hardcore. I enjoy playing most kind of games and I dont take pride in playing more then the casual Wii Sports/Call of Duty/FIFA-crowd. I think we are all the same. No need to categorise.

#15 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:34 AM

your logic behind the games that make you a "hardcore gamer" is flawed, i play the crap out of nintendo games and tons of pc games, i have never once played cod and assassin's creed is far from being hardcore imo, its the most laided back game i have played xD but yes, you cant judge your title on the games you play, its how you play them and how long you play them (well, maybe not how you play them but you get what i mean)

wa3Nq7j.png

#16 LaserSWE

LaserSWE

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

I believe the more "official" logic behind the terms is

Casual - Call of Duty, FIFA, Wii Sports, Singstar etc.
Core - Assassins Creed, Metroid Prime, Uncharted etc.
Hardcore - Demons Souls, Ikaruga, Bangai-O etc.

#17 -JJ-

-JJ-

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mrs. Doubtfire, Madea, Corneria

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

I would say I am a casual gamer. I don't get too competitive, and my favorite games are the ones I can play with friends like Mario Party, Mario Kart, and Super Smash Brothers Brawl. There are so many video games that people talk about that I have never even heard of. I also usually buy my games at the general big name stores like Walmart, not stores devoted to video games like Gamestop.
Posted Image

#18 crazyman03

crazyman03

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

I like to think that i am a hardcore gamer but i don't play a whole lot of hardcore games because I am not allowed to get m rted games
Yeah go core gamers!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sometimes I get bored of this cushioned white room.
I don't know why those doctors put me in here.

#19 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

Can I ask you a question? (Providing these examples do nothing in there lives and have nothing but free time)

My favorite genre of games are puzzle games.. And I play 40+ hours a week.. Would I be a casual player?

How about this: my favorite game is Demon Souls and I play 2 hours a week... am I a hardcore gamer?

Do you see where I'm going with this? Games shouldn't define what kind of gamer you are...

Anywho, I'm definitely a core gamer. I contribute to the community and play when I can, but it's definitely not a forefront in terms of hobbies and such (animation takes that cake). I love video games, but I'm definitely not on the level someone like Tricky is.. although I want to be someday, as my video game groove seems to be growing a lot more nowadays.

#20 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

I picked Hardcore, but not because I like those types of games in the Hardcore choice that you put up there. I chose it because almost all of my free time goes to gaming.

Since when have genres gotten into the mix of whether a gamer is Casual, Core or Hardcore. If you spend most of your time playing video games then you are hardcore, it doesn't matter whether there is blood in a game or if you placing down blocks on a screen. Why do companies do this now and people do this now? If any genre is supposed to be "Hardcore" I'd say it is RPGs, not shooting games with blood and gore. I say that because it takes plenty of time and dedication just to beat an RPG rather than running through an FPS in three hours. I just don't get it. It bugs me.

Edited by Tsuchinoko, 20 September 2012 - 11:38 AM.

zZJ9pHB.png
Special thanks to Horchata. I appreciate it so much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!