Photo

What type of Gamer do you consider yourself to be?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Poll: Type of Gamer? (54 member(s) have cast votes)

What type of Gamer do you consider yourself to be?

1. Casual (6 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. Core (27 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Hardcore (21 votes [38.89%])

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:38 PM

I picked Hardcore, but not because I like those types of games in the Hardcore choice that you put up there. I chose it because almost all of my free time goes to gaming.

Since when have genres gotten into the mix of whether a gamer is Casual, Core or Hardcore. If you spend most of your time playing video games then you are hardcore, it doesn't matter whether there is blood in a game or if you placing down blocks on a screen. Why do companies do this now and people do this now? If any genre is supposed to be "Hardcore" I'd say it is RPGs, not shooting games with blood and gore. I say that because it takes plenty of time and dedication just to beat an RPG rather than running through an FPS in three hours. I just don't get it. It bugs me.

Agreed. I'll never understand when the definition of "hardcore gamer" changed and where all this "hardcore gamer" pride came from. Blerghh.

#22 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:39 AM

Casual, Core, or Hardcore.

If you don't know what each means here:

Casual- Laid Back Fun Games that are simply to play (i.e. Mario, Angry Birds, etc.)

Core- Inbetween Casual and hardcore Gamer, offers more challenge, (i.e. Rayman Origins, F1, etc.)

Hardcore- Extreme, Committed Games that offer the greatest challenge with most of the time the most Gruesome appeal (i.e. Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, etc.)

Games don't define what you are. It's how you play them. ;)

Posted Image

#23 zaine10

zaine10

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • NNID:zaine2013

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:55 AM

I like games that challenge and I consider myself a core gamer because I play games but not to the extreme. I don't try to unlock every single mystery of the game... unless it is zelda. I just play them and beat them and if I feel that the game is legitimately worth my time of getting that much involved like unlocking everything and getting every single item then I will. But I really do like fighting games and I consider myself a hardcore gamer when it comes to that.

#24 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:52 AM

im starting to not even like calling myself a gamer right now. the industry is headed down the wrong path and i can only hope nintendo and the wii u can help pull us out. truly i believe this will be the last generation for either microsoft or sony with my bet being sony. seriously the bayonetta 2 wii u exclusive meltdown and the general hatred from gamers, journalist, and media outlet towards the wii u and nintendo shows what state we are in. its sad to be a part of this right now i can only hope better days are ahead.

#25 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:57 AM

I consider myself "hardcore" to some degree, but then I enjoy a wide range of games some of which people would probably consider to be pretty "casual".

It all depends on your general attitude towards gaming I guess. If you know a lot about the games you play and are open to playing new ones across many different genres and platforms, then that'd fit the definition of "hardcore" IMO.

Posted Image

#26 coolsarahkry

coolsarahkry

Blooper

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Avatar:TLA, Glee

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:06 AM

I picked Hardcore, but not because I like those types of games in the Hardcore choice that you put up there. I chose it because almost all of my free time goes to gaming.

Since when have genres gotten into the mix of whether a gamer is Casual, Core or Hardcore. If you spend most of your time playing video games then you are hardcore, it doesn't matter whether there is blood in a game or if you placing down blocks on a screen. Why do companies do this now and people do this now? If any genre is supposed to be "Hardcore" I'd say it is RPGs, not shooting games with blood and gore. I say that because it takes plenty of time and dedication just to beat an RPG rather than running through an FPS in three hours. I just don't get it. It bugs me.

Yes. This is why I chose hardcore. I can spend days play pokemon, paper mario, pikmin...it's not about what game you play, but how long you play it.
Posted Imageby cerberuz

#27 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:22 AM

Ok so to everyone's choice I changed up the meanings, your welcome, lol
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#28 3DS Strider

3DS Strider

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Fandom:
    Retrogames,Tokusatsu,Transformers

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

Old games, new games, domestic games, import games, 2D, 3D, FPS, RPG, anything as long as it's fun.

Even though I hate labels such as these, I suppose paying $20+shipping for a Japanese version of a fighting game on the Sega Saturn when I can get the English PS1 version off PSN for $6 would be hardcore. :lol:
BTW, the reason I got the (Japan only) Saturn version was because the gameplay was smoother (PS1 is terrible at 2D) than the other version. The game was Darkstalkers 3.

Edited by 3DS Strider, 23 September 2012 - 05:25 PM.

Also on 3DS Forums and Racketboy. I am not an iodit.

#29 Nintendustin

Nintendustin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

I'm an adult who likes to play video games. I played video games most my life. However, I have never been controlled by video games.

#30 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

Just because you play games for fun you're casual?
Oh what a world.
I want to go back to 1984 again.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#31 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

Can I ask you a question? (Providing these examples do nothing in there lives and have nothing but free time)

My favorite genre of games are puzzle games.. And I play 40+ hours a week.. Would I be a casual player?

How about this: my favorite game is Demon Souls and I play 2 hours a week... am I a hardcore gamer?

Do you see where I'm going with this? Games shouldn't define what kind of gamer you are...

Anywho, I'm definitely a core gamer. I contribute to the community and play when I can, but it's definitely not a forefront in terms of hobbies and such (animation takes that cake). I love video games, but I'm definitely not on the level someone like Tricky is.. although I want to be someday, as my video game groove seems to be growing a lot more nowadays.

*Sniffle* Your words are so kind! lol
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#32 Nintendustin

Nintendustin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

Tricky is on a a whole new level of awesomeness.

#33 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:15 PM

Tricky is on a a whole new level of awesomeness.

Haha...want to be my apprentice? Lol
Posted Image
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#34 Nintendustin

Nintendustin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

You'll have to fight Noon; she already made me her apprentice. ;)

#35 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

You'll have to fight Noon; she already made me her apprentice. ;)

Oh snap!
Posted Image

#36 -JJ-

-JJ-

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mrs. Doubtfire, Madea, Corneria

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

I'm a casual gamer lol
Posted Image

#37 That64Kid

That64Kid

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Fandom:
    I love you

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

Me = Core

#38 DeviousOne

DeviousOne

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#39 -JJ-

-JJ-

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mrs. Doubtfire, Madea, Corneria

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:47 PM

Posted Image

LOL!
Posted Image

#40 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:58 AM

I'll be your apprentice. Dustin, you and I can make a gaming apprentice inception...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!