Photo

To fans of the classic Phantasy Star games, how did you get into the series?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NidoTower

NidoTower

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

To all my fellow Phantasy Star fans, how did you get into the series?

Me?

-I bought a Master System for my birthday in 1989, instead of getting the NES. I bought it mainly for Missile Defense 3-D. I loved it, but I wanted more from my SMS. Much later in 1989 I started reading magazines like Video Games & Computer Entertainment and EGM. I learned about a "new" kind of game called "RPG" and, I wanted one. I don't remember exactly what publication I was reading but I found a list of all the role playing games that the SMS had. I saw Miracle Warriors, Y's, Lord of the Sword (not an RPG) and PHANTASY STAR. I felt that Phantasy Star "was the one" so I convinced my brother to combined our money and buy it. This was over winter break 1989-1990. Phantasy Star cost $70 at the time, the most expensive game in the SMS library and probably the most expensive game on the U.S. market for consoles.

-Anyway, I had about $50 and my brother had something like $30, so together, we had enough. I rode my bike to Toys"R"Us as fast as I could and bought Phantasy Star. When I got home I opened it up and put the cart in my SMS. I let my brother have the first turn playing. I was shocked. This wasn't any kind of game I had experienced before. It was so different. The graphics were amazing to me as a kid at the time and the gameplay was so unique. Long story short--I fell in love with the game almost right away. It took me MONTHS and MONTHS to finish. My brother never finished it, though.

Anyway,

I would certainly say playing Phantasy Star over winter break 1989-1990 was one of my fondest videogame memories ever.

Such happy times!

So how did you get into the (original classic RPG) Phantasy Star, I'd like to hear your stories :D

#2 Nintendustin

Nintendustin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:11 AM

I've never played the series, but I have always known about it. I guess I could give it a shot one day. However, I don't have as much time to game as I'd like.

#3 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:23 AM

I have never played one but I would really like to.try the first one on the Wii U virtual console.

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#4 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:25 AM

I played the demo on the XBOX 360 for quite some time when my cousins showed it to me. I really must say I enjoyed it, not enough to buy it though. Hopefully if it comes out on the Wii U, I'll actually buy it.

2lvmghw.png

#5 NidoTower

NidoTower

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

It would be terrific if Sega and Nintendo put all of the classic games on the WiiU eShop, that is, if they haven't already put it on Wii VC.

#6 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

Nice topic. Growing up, my dad bought me new games for getting good grades in school. I usually picked my games by cover art. Phantasy Star was the first one he ever bought me....I was young so at the time the concept odd RPG was lost on me lol
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#7 NidoTower

NidoTower

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:36 PM

Nice topic. Growing up, my dad bought me new games for getting good grades in school. I usually picked my games by cover art. Phantasy Star was the first one he ever bought me....I was young so at the time the concept odd RPG was lost on me lol

That was really nice of your dad. After getting Phantasy Star, my dad bought me the Genesis for getting good grades in school. So we have somewhat similar stories. So anyway, then I saved up all my money for weeks so I could by Phantasy Star II, it was even more expensive than Phantasy Star.....PSII was $80 at release...but I did it, lol. By the time I got PSII, I understood the concept of RPG, yet the challenge was even greater. I will never forget those days.

#8 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

That was really nice of your dad. After getting Phantasy Star, my dad bought me the Genesis for getting good grades in school. So we have somewhat similar stories. So anyway, then I saved up all my money for weeks so I could by Phantasy Star II, it was even more expensive than Phantasy Star.....PSII was $80 at release...but I did it, lol. By the time I got PSII, I understood the concept of RPG, yet the challenge was even greater. I will never forget those days.

Off topic, but I'm a big Sega nut. You should check out my collection blog in the link in my sign if you are too.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#9 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

I don't remember why I bought it but it was Phantasy Star 3 that hooked me in to the series. It drew me in and I was surprised a video game could do that.

#10 Nintendustin

Nintendustin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

Phantasy Star is on VC, right?

#11 NegaScott128

NegaScott128

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:56 PM

First read about Phantasy Star Zero on the DS in Nintendo Power. Been hooked ever since. Can't wait for PSO2!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!