Photo

Unlike Previously stated, Wii U will be sold at a Loss.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 dragomix

dragomix

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • NNID:dragomix
  • Fandom:
    PC and Nintendo fan

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

Lets think rational. You are not buying only console, but the controller too! Most optimistic speculations about hardware are:

600 GFLOPS GPU, 2.x MHz three core power 7 derivative CPU, 2GB DDR5 RAM.

What you can buy for 350$ wen you are building a PC:
HD 7770 with 1.2 TFLOPS with 1GB DDR5 RAM, 3.3GHz six-core CPU, and 8GB of RAM.

Even when games are optimized for specific hardware, you don't gain more than 30-40% better performance! Here we have 2x better hardware! We didn't see any game, like AC3 or Batman AC, played in 1080p on Wii U yet, PC hardware that I posted can play those games in 1080p with DX11 and high resolution textures. Looking just at hardware, Wii U is no better than 350$ PC! Don't get me wrong, no next-gen console will be better then PC hardware I posted! Xbox will come with Kinect 2 (about 100-150$ from overall product price), PS4 with some other weird stuff, soo consoles are not just hardware int the box, each console have its one thing!

P.S. I build my first PC when I was 9, about 15 years ago! ;)

Edited by dragomix, 25 October 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#42 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:27 AM

If you were thinking rational, you wouldn't talk about an old $400 pc outperforming next gen consoles in games. Enough said.

And let's not forget once again the volume discounts, sweetheart loyalty deals, custom fab, and purposes architecture.

It adds up to a good deal more than you'd like to think. And it's being sold at a loss. Btw, the gamepad is expensive but it's not crazy expensive to manufacture. Nintendos selling it high because that's a way to profit big while taking losses on the console package.

And even a current $400 pc won't have the power architecture edram setup either. Not will it have the gpu on the same area. (btw, you forgot to include the motherboard price, the case, power supply, blu-ray drive, network adapter, keyboard, mouse (or wireless gaming controller), etc. your price quickly inflates. And you don't even have an OS yet. The cost keeps rising...

And it will lose a good bit of its power to pc OS matters and hardware overhead.

Now think about it. If YOU are able to buy capable parts so cheaply, imagine what Nintendo has been able to procure its parts at, with a potential of 100 million units sold. And it's still sold at a loss. You can look at ports of last gen games to do your justifications of you want, but don't be shocked when something truly impressive shows up around the corner. Nintendo has made a very healthy system. Even gearbox has mentioned the wii u will likely have the best looking version of the game. That includes pc. Batman also seems to be better looking on wii u. And those are just ports.

The next gen consoles will hold their own. Plus, the gaming experience will be better in many instances since the code is tailored and optimized for that exact hardware. No random slowdown even with blazing CPU and gpu. No weird little glitches, etc. (unless it's a fallout or skyrim game), the games just work like they're supposed to (most of the time). There's a reason for that.
You can build a pc for games if you want. But in two years, you'll HAVE to upgrade in order to play the next hottest game at full settings to get the optimal experience. With a console, you get the full experience every time.

In the years ahead, PC will have some games that can look better due to its upgradable nature. But developers will always up the hardware requirements because they have to code for common denominators amongst a huge variety of hardware.

But the consoles will be close in performance down the road. Like they've always been. And when the pc has completelly outshined them, the race will repeat itself yet again with a new generation. - barring any paradigm shifts in how people get their game on by then.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 26 October 2012 - 12:58 AM.

#43 dragomix

dragomix

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • NNID:dragomix
  • Fandom:
    PC and Nintendo fan

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:01 AM

I dont want to make this thread PC vs Console one, but what you are talking is simply not true! I love consoles, especially Nintendo, because they give unique experiences. When you play Nintendo game, joy is the only thing you feel, and i love playing Nintendo games for that. PC has its one strong feature, consoles too, but consoles will never again (like in the past) be more powerful than PC bought for same amount of money.

I'm going to list you prices, like they are in my country, and exchange rate of currency. Prices are with taxes! Lets begin:

Today, 87.9416 RSD (Srpski dinar) is eaqul to 1 US dolar. This are precises at my local retailer:
Motherboard: MB AM3+ Gf7025 ASRock N68C-GS FX VGA - 5 151 RSD = 58.2 $
CPU: CPU AM3+ AMD FX-6100, 3.30GHz/14MB BOX Black Edition 32nm - 11 499 RSD = 130 $
GPU: VGA AMD Radeon 7770 Powercolor 1GB/DDR5/DVI/HDMI/DP/128bit - 12 000 RSD = 135 $
RAM: DDR3 8GB 1333MHz Patriot Signature CL9, PSD38G13332H - 3 500 RSD = 39$
HDD: HDD SATA2 7200 250GB Seagate ST250DM001 - 5 151 RSD = 58$
Case with power supply: 500W Frontier C-923 - 2 400 RSD = 27$
Xbox 360 controller: 50$
Mice and Keyboard: 10$
When we sum it up: 511$

Preorder premium Wii U here is 42 000 RSD = 474$, basic is 36 000 RSD = 400$!

Yes, it is more expensive, but this PC can eat Wii U for breakfast (when we talk about GFLOPS, MIPS, shader count etc. ), and is more powerful than any next gen console!

Edited by dragomix, 26 October 2012 - 08:08 AM.

#44 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

I think Dragomix is essentially correct. Next gen will not be as powerful as people expect because of the recession and intrudution of additional hardware.

#45 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

I think Dragomix is essentially correct. Next gen will not be as powerful as people expect because of the recession and intrudution of additional hardware.

While the next gen won't be the jump this last one was, it will still be a jump.

And no PC that cost $400 a couple years ago is going to keep up (then pretending it's still a $400 PC after spending even more money upgrading it later) is asinine. Period.

The Wii U is much better for games than a $400 PC (which includes its own keyboard and mouse "controllers") of today as well. why? Because it was engineered to be. And it is being sold at a loss. Even if it wasn't, the purpose-built architecture would mop the floor with its competition.

Otherwise, Nintendo could have just sold a bunch of Acers, put a Wii U sticker on them and been done with it.

Too much foolishness in that line of thinking to even begin to wash off.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!