Photo

Does and External Hard Drive for Wii U need to be formatted to fat32?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Terraquven

Terraquven

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:34 AM

This was the case for PS3 but I haven't seen anything saying the same for the Wii U. I am assuming so.

#2 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:37 AM

I don't believe they said. On that note though I would home the system would format it for you
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#3 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

You sure do love asking one-line questions as separate threads.

To answer you: Who knows. It's November 9th, not 18th.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#4 Terraquven

Terraquven

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

The forums were built for chat like this and it's good to know these things ahead of time so when I get the Wii U and go to use my hard drive for the first time I don't get a message saying the hard drive is not in the right format. I would like to have my hard drive properly formatted ahead of time to ensure I can download games onto it on day 1. Formatting a hard drive can be time consuming if you didn't know.

#5 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

The forums were built for chat like this and it's good to know these things ahead of time so when I get the Wii U and go to use my hard drive for the first time I don't get a message saying the hard drive is not in the right format. I would like to have my hard drive properly formatted ahead of time to ensure I can download games onto it on day 1. Formatting a hard drive can be time consuming if you didn't know.

Whether you're getting the basic or deluxe model you will have some amount of internal storage. It's unlikely you will need the use of an external hard drive right away. I'm sure having to spend a few hours formatting when you get the console won't be an issue.

#6 Sage

Sage

Chronicler

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • NNID:ViralLight
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda, Splatushi

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

Knowing Nintendo it might be a proprietary format, would fat32 even be good? I thought it couldn't handle file sizes above 4GBs, well unless you do some modifying to it.

#7 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

not sure since some games will be bigger then 4gb so fat will have a problem there. I would say ntfs for bigger file size but just looking at the wii hombrew stuff it was wbfs or something.

So my guess is it will be nintendo own format to stop people from "sharing" games, they downloaded.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#8 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

I hope it's ntfs it runs better.