• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 reef7009

reef7009

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

Seeing as the CPU has been constantly put through the wringer this week i thought id try to get us off the subject now . So i was wondering if we are any closer to knowing which gpgpu is in the console? Ive heard 6760 but i dont know , any thoughts?

#2 reef7009

reef7009

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

Knickers and Twist come to mind there lol

#3 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

its more like a 4770 or 5670... everybody in the forums, play between these 2.

#4 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

Seeing as the CPU has been constantly put through the wringer this week i thought id try to get us off the subject now . So i was wondering if we are any closer to knowing which gpgpu is in the console? Ive heard 6760 but i dont know , any thoughts?

6760 was 'confirmed' by an amd tech support via a mass of emails.... So thats where that rumour came from... People asked tech support what gpu was being used and hed reply 6760.

The problem with that 'confirmation' is that amd tech support personell simply arent privy to that information, so this individual really couldnt know what was actually being used, despite technically being employed by amd.

Its highly unlikely its a 6760.

Edited by 3Dude, 23 November 2012 - 11:58 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#5 reef7009

reef7009

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

Yeah i saw that article , its been re-posted quite a few times by all accounts :)

#6 esrever

esrever

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

judging by the size and the quote for DX 10.1, the gpu would be most likely a custom 4670 die with eDRAM.

#7 reef7009

reef7009

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

Reading on Avforums , a little while ago a senior member wrote about being sceptical about the 6760 emails from Amd , so he himself set about emailing Amd himself. He was expecting to de-bunk this story....but guess what..he received an email back from Amd confirming it is indeed a modified 6760 in the Wii u ! This guy assured the forum he is 100% genuine in emailing Amd himself and staked his reputation as a senior member on Avforums. He posted the email reply in his post. He also emailed Nintendo seeking further confirmation. Alas the big N neither 'denied' nor confirmed it , but thats Nintendo...as secretive as ever. Hmmm....

#8 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

Reading on Avforums , a little while ago a senior member wrote about being sceptical about the 6760 emails from Amd , so he himself set about emailing Amd himself. He was expecting to de-bunk this story....but guess what..he received an email back from Amd confirming it is indeed a modified 6760 in the Wii u ! This guy assured the forum he is 100% genuine in emailing Amd himself and staked his reputation as a senior member on Avforums. He posted the email reply in his post. He also emailed Nintendo seeking further confirmation. Alas the big N neither 'denied' nor confirmed it , but thats Nintendo...as secretive as ever. Hmmm....

The email IS 100% genuine. A lot of other people got the same reply.

But the information within probably isnt. Those tech support guys just arent given that kind of information.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#9 reef7009

reef7009

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

It still begs the question....why come up with that specific gpu model number in the email from AMD? Why not some other/any model gpu from , say , the last 2-3 years? It seems specific if u see what i mean. Oh well lol the mystery goes on :)

#10 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

I guess I'll Post some of SHin ens impressions from the GPU since thats kinda what this thread is about

Concerning the graphical aspect, are the features supported satisfactory for you? Is the system allowing a good amount of effects not present or not really used on current gen consoles, such as tessellation? Iwata has promoted the GPGPU side of the chip, have you taken advantage of this?"

For Nano Assault Neo we already used a few tricks that are not possible on the current console cycle.
Due to the modern GPU architecture you have plenty of effects you can use to make Wii U games look better than anything you have seen on consoles before.

Neo’s resolution is 720p. Why is it not 1080p? Beside, we’ve witnessed jaggies and seemingly a lack of anti-aliasing in some other games footage, can you reassure us on the image quality of your title? With its more up-to-date GPU and other factors such as cache amount, the Wii U should be pretty capable in this area.

We can’t detail the Wii U graphics chip, but any modern GPU supports various anti-aliasing modes with the usual Pros and Cons. Many GPUs have a certain amount of AA even for ‘free’ when rendering. Usage of these modes depends on your rendering style (like forward or deferred) and other implementation details.

Nano Assault Neo is running in 720p yes. We had the game also running in 1080p but the difference was not distinguishable when playing. Therefore we used 720p and put the free GPU cycles into higher resolution post-Fx. This was much more visible. If we had a project with less quick motions we would have gone 1080p instead i guess.

It’s not a problem to make beautiful 1080p games on the Wii U. As on any console or PC such titles need ~200% more fill rate than 720p. You can use this power either for 1080p rendering or for more particles, better post-Fx, better materials, etc.

All this information is very impressive! But as actors within a global industry, you may be aware of the capabilities of competing next gen consoles as well as the technical evolutions seen in PC hardware or upcoming middleware like Unreal Engine 4. From what you’ve experienced on Wii U, do you think the system is future-proof, does it have the required feature-set of the next generation games (we’re talking about direct x 11/OpenGL 4 level features) and that it will run titles available on its rival platforms? Some players are afraid of living a situation similar to the Wii which couldn’t handle engines and software released on Xbox 360 and PS3.

We can’t be too specific on the Wii U hardware but you can’t compare anyway an OpenGl/DirectX driver version to the actual Wii U GPU. I can only assure that the Wii U GPU feature set allows to do many cool things that are not possible on any current console. The Wii U has enough of potential for the next years to create jaw-dropping visuals. Also remember the immense improvement we saw on the PS3 and XBOX360 over the years. I’m really excited to see what developers will show on the Wii U in the years to come.

http://www.nanoassau...20p60_8mbit.mp4

A nice HQ video of their Wii u Eshop Game Nano Assault Neo.

Edited by 3Dude, 23 November 2012 - 05:14 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#11 Structures

Structures

LIL B's SiDEKiCK

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • NNID:Structures
  • Fandom:
    Gundam, Nintendo, Warcraft, Guild Wars

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

its more like a 4770 or 5670... everybody in the forums, play between these 2.

you aren't very smart are you?

636416_0.jpg
Youtube Twitch.tv I stream Wii U Gameplay and PC Games

#12 reef7009

reef7009

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

Good article. I hope that , no matter what gpu is in wii u , we do begin to see some amazing games graphically aswell as playability.

#13 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

you have any different in mind? But hey, I wont believe any fanboism fantasies you may have, little sheep.
everybody speaks about it and its more likelly a 5670.. the die size *including edram, fits.

Here is a different article about wii U, not a negative one as many forums (neogaf, ign, gamespot, etc) speak about...
you have any different in mind? But hey, I wont believe any fanboism fantasies you may have.
everybody speaks about it and its more likelly a 5670.. the die size *including edram, fits. http://www.zeldainfo...-generation-pow

But hey! Even that is zelda topic :) ... but everybody points to 5670 and some to 4xxx series. http://www.thetechfi...urrent-gen.html

Edited by Orion, 23 November 2012 - 06:03 PM.

#14 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

Please no Ad hominoms, just state the information you have that contradicts his.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#15 Structures

Structures

LIL B's SiDEKiCK

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • NNID:Structures
  • Fandom:
    Gundam, Nintendo, Warcraft, Guild Wars

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

you have any different in mind? But hey, I wont believe any fanboism fantasies you may have, little sheep.
everybody speaks about it and its more likelly a 5670.. the die size *including edram, fits.

Here is a different article about wii U, not a negative one as many forums (neogaf, ign, gamespot, etc) speak about...
you have any different in mind? But hey, I wont believe any fanboism fantasies you may have.
everybody speaks about it and its more likelly a 5670.. the die size *including edram, fits. http://www.zeldainfo...-generation-pow

But hey! Even that is zelda topic :) ... but everybody points to 5670 and some to 4xxx series. http://www.thetechfi...urrent-gen.html

you suggested a 4770 which does not make any sense whatsoever

636416_0.jpg
Youtube Twitch.tv I stream Wii U Gameplay and PC Games

#16 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

Please, PLEASE dont link to Zelda informer.

Edited by 3Dude, 23 November 2012 - 06:15 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#17 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

I confused 1 number.. i am dyslectic and confusing number and names... But I can remember them forever if u spell them. Also I am an nvidia fanboy

Edited by Orion, 23 November 2012 - 06:41 PM.

#18 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

I don't really care either but from what I'm hearing it makes up for the weak CPU and more so I'm not bothered.

#19 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

Seriously? One of you mods deleted my posts that tells the truth? Wow.

#20 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

Seriously? One of you mods deleted my posts that tells the truth? Wow.

-_-

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!