Photo

Afterglow wireless headset incompatible? Wii u firmware update?

Afterglow wireless headset

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 68jcode

68jcode

Goomba

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

Got my son the Wii U and he got the Afterglow wireless headset as well. All packaging and literature state the two are compatible, however we get no sound to the headphones. Have the Wii U connected to the tv using HDMI cable and then the Afterglow transmitter connected to the USB jack on the Wii U and the other end audio out jacks from the tv just as the instructions show. Called Afterglow support and they say this is a known issue and Nintendo needs to release a new firmware update, but could not tell me about it or when it would be out. I said how is your product compatible if it is not possible to make it work? He talked in circles for a minute and then agreed its false advertising. Anyway, I am willing to wait a week or so for the firmware release if it fixes it, but if there truly is no date in site then probably will return the headphones. Any advice or insight regarding this firmware? Is this known issue with all the wireless headphone support?

#2 alford78

alford78

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for posting as I literally have them in a shopping cart but couldn't find anyone that confirmed that they worked correctly.

Keep us posted and maybe someone in the "know" will chime in. Surely it's some sort of software update that needs to be put in place as this will really push sales of many games to other consoles. Im already tired of playing cod without a mic after a couple of days so am back on 360.

#3 Sargon

Sargon

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

I wonder if maybe the Wii U isn't providing enough power? As we have seen with USB hard drives, the Wii U is very stingy with its USB power and requires a Y-cable for many hard drives to work. Could this also be an issue with the Afterglow headset?

#4 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

The Wii U currently only supports wired headsets. So if you want to use a PDP Afterglow headset, you will need the wired USB version.

Edited by Dragon, 26 November 2012 - 06:39 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Sargon

Sargon

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

The Wii U currently only supports wired headsets. So if you want to use a PDP Afterglow headset, you will need the wired USB version.

The Afterglow is a universal wireless headset, so how is that possible? It should not require any type of special compatibility with the Wii U console. It should just need an audio input (via Red/White audio cables) and USB power to transmit audio to the headphones. What am I missing?

#6 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

The Afterglow is a universal wireless headset, so how is that possible? It should not require any type of special compatibility with the Wii U console. It should just need an audio input (via Red/White audio cables) and USB power to transmit audio to the headphones. What am I missing?

As I said before.... The Wii U only supports wired headsets. I can't answer why Nintendo didn't put the support in, as that was their decision. But that can easily be changed in a firmware update.

Posted Image

#7 Sargon

Sargon

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

As I said before.... The Wii U only supports wired headsets. I can't answer why Nintendo didn't put the support in, as that was their decision. But that can easily be changed in a firmware update.

What I'm saying is that there really shouldn't be any difference between how the Wii handles a wired USB headset versus how it handles a wireless USB headset. Either way, it is simply a USB interface, and whether the particular headset is wired or wireless should be transparent to the console. If you were to say that the Wii U doesn't support USB headsets at all, that would make more sense.

#8 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

What I'm saying is that there really shouldn't be any difference between how the Wii handles a wired USB headset versus how it handles a wireless USB headset. Either way, it is simply a USB interface, and whether the particular headset is wired or wireless should be transparent to the console. If you were to say that the Wii U doesn't support USB headsets at all, that would make more sense.

Sorry for the misconfusion, as I have that problem too. (darn you nintendo) Here is the article explaining how the headset works. I searched it up as I couldn't remember how it worked: http://www.gonintend...story&id=188361

Posted Image

#9 Sargon

Sargon

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

Ok, makes sense.

Nintendo definitely made this way more confusing than it needed to be and I'm afraid that will result in most people not using voice chat at all.

#10 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

This is what happens when you do not provide a single mandatory way of handling voice chat in the API.

Very poor choice by Nintendo.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#11 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

I'm just gonna buy wired, makes no difference to me.

#12 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

Sadly it is decided by the games and we will all have a bloody headache once again with no support or in this case "Plug in USB, unplug USB, & plug into 3.5mm jack". Not a super big deal, but still annoying. I just really hope we are not bogged down by another accessory such as the, "Wii Speak". Here is hoping Nintendo wises up & makes a bluetooth support firmware update & makes their own mic to sort of seal the deal. Yet the developers might not support it anyway. With all the same mind set as last time "Our games will not support the Wii Speak even if you have one. Hahaha,. forget supporting that expensive piece of hardware, go buy our expensive PDP Jawbreaker headset. This way you can have two headsets that work only for two games each, hahaha". All because they think X mic is better qualified, *ahem, better for their pocket, ahem*

What I am referring to if your not a previous Wii mic user: Link

#13 68jcode

68jcode

Goomba

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

Appreciate the responses and link to the other thread on this issue. I'm still a bit confused though because as I said I am not getting any audio through the headset. The information I just read seems to indicate that just the chat is a problem, but maybe I'm not understanding it properly. In any case, does anyone have insight into if or when this would be resolved with a firmware release? I have a window of time to return the headset and as of now it would seem that is the best way to go until this fiasco is resolved.

#14 Michigun

Michigun

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

First of all what changed between the Wii and WiiU :huh: . I bought the afterglow headset and it worked fine with the Wii while I waited for the WiiU to come out. Now that I have spent the large amount of money for the WiiU the headset WILL NOT WORK WITH THE WII U AT ALL :angry: . Yes you can get game backgroud sound if you plug in the USB device but the mic will not work. If you try to plug the supplied wire into the headset you get no sound at all. Those of you who said you just have to use it "WIRED" are completely wrong IT DOSE NOT WORK. Do not buy the WiiU or the Afterglow expecting to use a chat system, you are wasting your money. Dont expect Nintendo to fix the problem they already have your money :ph34r: and nobody is gonna read this before they buy either of these products.

I am returning both products because both are defective and will be buying the Turtle Beach headset and the PS3 ;)

#15 Technodamus

Technodamus

Goomba

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

Currently i have a solution for afterglow wireless until usb is enabled by nintendo. I purchased a headphone/mic splittter cable and a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable from amazon for about $6. Plug the spliiter into the gamepad and the 3.5mm end in to mic jack of the splitter and the 2.5mm end in to the xbox port on the headset...this will give you voice chat.
The usb dongle can be plugged into any usb port and the audio end of that can go in to your wii u audio cables, your tv or reciever hp jack, or the hp side of the splitter though I recommend an extension cable for this.
You can just use the mobile cable too but this limits some functionality.

#16 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

[quote name='Technodamus' timestamp='1355590178' post='148291']
Currently i have a solution for afterglow wireless until usb is enabled by nintendo.[/quote]
Nintendo is not going to support it, unless they change their minds all together. Which I highly doubt since they had this to say.
[quote name='Nintendo Rep]The Nintendo rep said that in-game voice chat is not integrated at a universal level and thus is not required by every game with an online multiplayer component. Rather' date=' the option will be available on a game-by-game basis.[/quote']
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/32182

This is all the Wii again with a game to game basis selected mic to be supported. Change the rings a little on the plug (Within the plug limits of course) or new USB device that has a sort of new method of plug & play and/or a sort of on-board flashed bios. Then make the game send compressed and/or uncompressed codec packets in a manner that only the select headset can read.

[quote name='Technodamus' timestamp='1355590178' post='148291']I purchased a headphone/mic splittter cable and a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable from amazon for about $6.[/quote]
The fact you had to buy this tells you that the rings on the original plug for the Wii U gamepad was completely wrong. Sound like it was something like TRS to TRRS ordeal, for example, the whole old apple mics using three rings and newer using the TRRS four rings confusion people had. Then you get a splitter and it now corrects the mic and sound through a form of female to male conversion.

The true sad part is about all this, is the mics are branded with the Nintendo officially approved logo right? Then no one can support it correctly and Nintendo clearly did not prioritize an overall format so this crap will continue. Regardless, of the stupid Nintendo Seal. Until Nintendo decides to brand their own mics and makes it mandatory to support this will never be fixed. Then people say, "Well bluetooth will come to fix this". I am afraid not as it is still up to the developers to decide what is supported yet again, just like they cut off support for USB. (Shrugs) You just can't win with Nintendo in these aspects.

#17 ameritt

ameritt

Spiny

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Hey guys, so I was thinking about getting the wired headphones of this type, but I'm getting mixed reactions everywhere. Some people say they've gotten it to work and some people are saying it can't work. I read the entire conversation, but I was just wondering if anyone had any new information or got them to work and everything. I want to know if I should buy these headphones, or if I should buy other headphones for the Wii U (which I can't find any good ones online... Does anyone have a pair that they like?)

#18 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

Aren't the venom ones approved by Nintendo?

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#19 Insanity_Boi

Insanity_Boi

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda Mario Metroid Mario Kart

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:22 AM

I have the Triton Kunai headset and it works fine. I use it with Black Ops 2

#20 ameritt

ameritt

Spiny

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

I have the Triton Kunai headset and it works fine. I use it with Black Ops 2

Do you know which headphones exactly? Cause there seem to be multiple kinds, and i wouldn't want to order the wrong ones or anything :)
How much were they and do you think they are worth the price with the sound quality and everything?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Afterglow, wireless, headset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!