• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 framp1

framp1

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

New to this Wii U. Can I copy a game disk to the console's memory so I don't need to load the disk to play the game? I'm thinking of the Wii fit program.

#2 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

No, your not on a PC so this is not possible. Consoles do not copy physical discs images or install full games to the HDD/SSD. The closest you get to installing is similar to some PS3 games & some later released Xbox 360 games, & that still requires a disc. The Wii U does not have this feature and no clue if Nintendo would ever add it, so your out of luck.

#3 framp1

framp1

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

No, your not on a PC so this is not possible. Consoles do not copy physical discs images or install full games to the HDD/SSD. The closest you get to installing is similar to some PS3 games & some later released Xbox 360 games, & that still requires a disc. The Wii U does not have this feature and no clue if Nintendo would ever add it, so your out of luck.

That's what I thought - if I'm not mistaken, downloading the game from Nintendo does load it on the console or external USB hard drive (connected to the console). If this is correct, then I would be wise to purchase games via Nintendo's web site. Am I correct?

#4 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

That's what I thought - if I'm not mistaken, downloading the game from Nintendo does load it on the console or external USB hard drive (connected to the console). If this is correct, then I would be wise to purchase games via Nintendo's web site. Am I correct?

I was shocked that Wii Fit let you do that... it was like half the game.

Anyways, you're right. Purchasing from the eShop gives you a digital copy on the Wii U or connected storage device. So if you don't want to deal with discs, you can do that.
Posted Image

#5 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

Be warned though, save data does not save onto external hard drives, you may need a Y cable to power some HDD as the Wii U does not release enough power via USB ports, & downloaded games & other content can not be retrieved or re-downloaded if your console was to completely break down. As it locks to the one said console, even if you have an external drive, or call Nintendo as they will not be able to help you.

I was shocked that Wii Fit let you do that... it was like half the game.

Wii Fit did? I though that was just like the Mario Kart Channel where you could just see the score. Nothing to really do with needing no disc. Hmm, well guess I sort of skipped that if so, as I really did not use Wii Fit much. Skipped over it for the other like three balance board games. Meh

#6 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

Be warned though, save data does not save onto external hard drives, you may need a Y cable to power some HDD as the Wii U does not release enough power via USB ports, & downloaded games & other content can not be retrieved or re-downloaded if your console was to completely break down. As it locks to the one said console, even if you have an external drive, or call Nintendo as they will not be able to help you.

Wii Fit did? I though that was just like the Mario Kart Channel where you could just see the score. Nothing to really do with needing no disc. Hmm, well guess I sort of skipped that if so, as I really did not use Wii Fit much. Skipped over it for the other like three balance board games. Meh

It let you see your weight, continue weighing yourself and doing balance checks IIRC. So you could still progress without needing the disc. I don't think it let you play the minigames though. Maybe I exaggerated a little, but it was enough so that I didn't need to have the disc in if all I wanted to do the basics.

I sort of forgot other games used the board. xD How were they?
Posted Image

#7 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

I sort of forgot other games used the board. xD How were they?

I know right. XD Not like Nintendo really pushed out their own games for it. If they did I sure did not see advertisements, so I sort of missed it if they did. I also missed a good portion of other third party games, but most yet again were shovel ware.

Alright, some of the Shaun White games (rented it when there was actually a BlockBuster) was decent. Out of a scale of 1 to 5 I would say 3.5, as it had decent pickup value and some decent challenges. Go Vacation by Namco was a pretty decent party game that supported the balance board. You had skiing, surfing, skateboarding, and a few other various little games. Now I wouldn't say the games were the most exciting thing in the world, but it worked alright.

#8 Jeremygts

Jeremygts

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

Nintendo can transfer your Nintendo ID to another console... So if something does happen you can still download the games you have paid for

http://mynintendonew...-wii-u-console/

#9 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

Nintendo can transfer your Nintendo ID to another console... So if something does happen you can still download the games you have paid for

http://mynintendonew...-wii-u-console/

You might get lucky & Nintendo says they will do it. Though it of your expense to buy a new console & hope they can transfer your stuff over. SSD's & HDD's are not 100% perfect & Nintendo is not going to extract your downloads from a third party device. SSD's decay overtime in speed the more you write or read data, cells just go pop (and if it is MLC = Multi Layer Cells, lose one cell and you lose multiple pieces of data), & they can also have a much shorter lifespan than a HDD (Specially if your using it a lot, & the drives lifespan cycles are not super high).

http://www.nintendo....ransfer_faq.jsp (Not like you can do it yourself, and Nintendo has not helped everyone that has called up over the years. Even on the DSi to 3DS).

Edited by UnholyVision, 29 November 2012 - 03:19 PM.

#10 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:25 AM

I wish it could but no.

#11 Jeremygts

Jeremygts

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:57 AM

You might get lucky & Nintendo says they will do it. Though it of your expense to buy a new console & hope they can transfer your stuff over. SSD's & HDD's are not 100% perfect & Nintendo is not going to extract your downloads from a third party device. SSD's decay overtime in speed the more you write or read data, cells just go pop (and if it is MLC = Multi Layer Cells, lose one cell and you lose multiple pieces of data), & they can also have a much shorter lifespan than a HDD (Specially if your using it a lot, & the drives lifespan cycles are not super high).

http://www.nintendo....ransfer_faq.jsp (Not like you can do it yourself, and Nintendo has not helped everyone that has called up over the years. Even on the DSi to 3DS).

Youre missing the point. they only transfer your Nintendo ID that is linked with your Eshop.
When you get your new Wii U you will log into your Nintendo ID and your Eshop purchase history will allow you to redownload the games you have already paid for. I had to send my Wii in for repair when my son knocked it off the TV stand. It was wiped clean and I had to redownload ALL my VC console games again.

Even if you were charged a slight fee id rather pay a service charge and get all the digital games ive paid for back instead of starting over from scratch.

#12 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Youre missing the point. they only transfer your Nintendo ID that is linked with your Eshop.
When you get your new Wii U you will log into your Nintendo ID and your Eshop purchase history will allow you to redownload the games you have already paid for. I had to send my Wii in for repair when my son knocked it off the TV stand. It was wiped clean and I had to redownload ALL my VC console games again.

Even if you were charged a slight fee id rather pay a service charge and get all the digital games ive paid for back instead of starting over from scratch.

Nope I am not missing the point. I fully understand that, but in this day and age paying to get access to your account on a new device is bloody bollocks. No company in their right mind in the DD service of games does this. Nintendo tends to have a screw loose in the networking department or they really just like to nickle and dime you for every bloody thing they can...

Edit: Also, I mentioned about a SSD dying. Well the thing is if the SSD dies everything on that console is gone. There is no means of transfer of your Nintendo ID & you wasted money paying crazy brand name charges for a new console from Nintendo, while possibly paying a service charge for an attempt to transfer... How is this logical or good business practice in terms of the consumer? Nintendo in there very own FAQ says, "Once a Nintendo Network ID is deleted or not transfered there is nothing they can do". They will not unlock or put the account on the new device if the SSD with said ID is destroyed....

Edited by UnholyVision, 30 November 2012 - 11:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!